U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 06:17 PM

68 posts, read 284,917 times

Advertisements

Where could I find a small cabin type of place to rent between those 2 towns? I like Telluride compared to Wold Creek because of the mountain size (almost double in height) and mountain village/ouray seem like awesome towns to hangout in as opposed to pagosa springs. Where to live?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2009, 07:49 PM

355 posts, read 1,284,211 times
telluride is ****in expensive area...how old r u? ive seen some of your posts....what do u plan of doing for a job here?

Old 02-12-2009, 05:55 AM

im only 22... trying to rent something out of town and work for the mountain (this could be anywhere though)... obviously bringing a few bucks with me... working 2 jobs now until i make the move out there.... All i really want is to relax for a year in a REAL winter setting, in a little 1br cabin in the woods and to snowboard as much as possible. Any job will do just as long as im making enough to "survive".

Old 02-12-2009, 07:06 AM

355 posts, read 1,284,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njstinks0622 View Post
im only 22... trying to rent something out of town and work for the mountain (this could be anywhere though)... obviously bringing a few bucks with me... working 2 jobs now until i make the move out there.... All i really want is to relax for a year in a REAL winter setting, in a little 1br cabin in the woods and to snowboard as much as possible. Any job will do just as long as im making enough to "survive".
Im 22 too. you sound just like one of my buddies. Well I will say last year when i moved out here and I too wanted to live in the mountains and work at a resort. It's tough to get by up there especially just working at a resort. I guess if you don't have to worry about anything but rent money you will be fine I had to many bills. Or if you can find resorts that provide housing. I am happy with a 45min drive from the front range to get to my snowboarding. Your best bet is probably checking out summit county areas. Have you ever visited Colorado?

Old 02-12-2009, 07:44 AM

1,598 posts, read 2,749,658 times
Good luck. I doubt you'll rent anything like that anywhere near Telluride. The cheapest house I saw for sale there was a 900 sq/ft shack in town; it was listed at $2.5million. The rent would probably be $3-5,000/month.

Old 02-12-2009, 08:07 AM

7,764 posts, read 16,837,299 times
It has become financially challenging to undertake these Thoreau-esque adventures, especially if you want to do it in a high cost touristy area. If snowboarding and a cabin is what your're sincerely looking for, you'll have a much easier time of it avoiding the big name places like Telluride, Aspen, & Vail. You could probably find something more affordable near the Powderhorn ski resort ( not to be confused with Aspen or Telluride! ) up on the Grand Mesa outside of Grand Junction. If you're looking for glitz and an ongoing party scene, you won't find it at Powderhorn. But you'll have an abundance of snowboarding opportunities, and you should be able to find a cabin that you can afford. Good Luck.

Old 02-12-2009, 08:14 AM

good stuff.... thanks for your help so far... Nope never been out in CO. A few of my freinds are in breck now from NJ... they love it there... Thats where I origianlly wanted to go and still would definitely consider summit and Ive seen a few places out there for pretty cheap in Alma and a few other places.
My gf's and I original plan was to live in evergreen but theres still not enough snow there... I guess we could just hit up breck or whatever on our days off... I just want a real winter you know? I looked into taking the civil service test to be a fire fighter in denver.. living in conifer/evergreen- this real estate company in evergreen has rent to own houses and are pretty affordable...

Those were our original plans... but I kind of want relax for a year and get snowed in every other week during the winter in some little cabin...(not really ready to settle down yet) Im pretty interested in Pagosa Springs right now because I found some little cabin in the woods for 450 a month (which is perfect)... I wanna buy an old school 4x4 and drive up the mountain to work a few times a day and seriously chill out and get away. ...Then wolf creek is right there with over 400 inches a year. I talked to a real estate agent there and they said when im getting closer to the move they could definitely find something like that for me... But I just love that Telluride area over there- Looks like it would be a fun area to live for a year. Real cool looking but Im guessing that its out of my range...

NJ is just way over crowded and so dirty bro. Ski conditions suck. People suck. I do 85 on the pkwy to work and get high beamed everyday in a 65 mph zone... Im just fed up here haha...

Old 02-12-2009, 08:56 AM

Your find in Pagosa/Wolf Creek sounds great. Go for it, and good luck! I don't think you'll be disappointed. In addition to the snow sports, the hot springs are great for unwinding. I do imagine that all the driving ( drive up the mountain to work a few times a day ) you're thinking about might get real old, real fast however...also very expensive when the price is back up to $4.00 a gallon.

Old 02-12-2009, 09:08 AM

yeah i think thats going to be my best bet with pagosa so far... Didnt know it was up at $4 a gallon but im sure i could cut it... a few times a WEEK i mean... sorry about that... im sure i could find people to car pool with like ive heard to chip in for gas... wolf creek doesnt seem like its too touristy either and it would be great to get that powder experience in. I hear the people are great from that area and anyone ive contacted has been real helpful.

Old 02-12-2009, 10:12 AM

It's NOT currently at 4 bucks a gallon. In my mind, it's only a matter of time until it goes back up. I don't live in that area, so I'm only guessing that it's probably around 2 bucks a gallon presently. It's a buck seventy in Grand Junction right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado