U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2007, 06:48 PM

2 posts, read 10,019 times

Advertisements

HELP!
I maybe be moving to Lamar CO, but, they have very little info online.
Are they that far behind the times?
Can anyone help me, tell me the good and the bad about the lil ole town of Lamar?
Is it religious, spiritual or totally dead?
Jobs?
Housing? nothing is listed online!

Old 03-17-2007, 09:48 AM

431 posts, read 2,499,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy frm ks View Post
HELP!
I maybe be moving to Lamar CO, but, they have very little info online.
Are they that far behind the times?
Can anyone help me, tell me the good and the bad about the lil ole town of Lamar?
Is it religious, spiritual or totally dead?
Jobs?
Housing? nothing is listed online!
It is hurting for jobs that is a fact. It is a ranching area. It is very small with a vocational college/ Jr. college. My son went there and lived there until the bus company closed. To quote him, and he is a rural boy, not a great deal to do but work. On the plains, hot and dry. Great deal like western KS. and rural towns there. I am not a lover of the plains so I may sound bias. As far as behind the times, no, I don't believe so. Just a laid back rural town.

Old 03-18-2007, 06:57 AM

110 posts, read 433,516 times
Did you check out lamar chamber dot com? There is quite a bit of information on that sight and they can send you more by snail mail also.
The city-data site has most of the statistical information along with quite a few pictures to give a better feel for the town also.

Old 03-18-2007, 11:35 AM

7 posts, read 27,747 times
Thumbs down Lamar, CO

I have several 20-something nieces and nephews who either can't wait to leave Lamar, or have already moved. There's not much in the way of job opportunities, culture, or entertainment there. We also lived there and couldn't wait to leave. The town is surrounded by feed lots, and there's no escaping the smell of cow manure. A few ranchers told me "that's just the smell of money" but it was still awful. Lamar is also the town where Oprah Winfrey was called the "n" word on her road trip across America, which unfortunately didn't surprise me. Try reading their local newspaper on-line at http://www.lamardaily.com/.

Old 03-18-2007, 12:16 PM

10,868 posts, read 41,128,193 times
It's a very economically depressed area. The recent combination of drought and an extreme winter have hard pressed the ranchers and farmers.

There's few jobs, little retail, and not much to do except work on the farm or ranch.

The "downtown" has a lot of vacant storefronts and properties for sale.

It can be very hot in the summers and quite cold in the winters.

You will need to do some traveling for most of your shopping; it's two hours to Pueblo or two hourse to Garden City KA.

The upside is if you have a decent job income and want a nice quiet place in a small town or out in the country, it's readily available and for very low cost.

John Martin Res is right on your doorstep and has very low useage ... almost like having a private lake close by.

Old 03-20-2007, 02:28 AM

20 posts, read 63,236 times
I live about a half hour from Lamar and can tell you it is generally a quiet place to live. You mentioned its spiritual/religious aspects and I can tell you it is definitely not lacking in that. There is a church for just about every branch of Christianity and many people do attend church.
Jobs are somewhat lacking. The addition of Wal-Mart to the town a few years back really hurt the downtown shopping, but there is still everything you would need to get by. There is a movie theater and a few local bars, so it's not completely lacking in entertainment.
As far as housing goes there are quite a few houses available in some nice neighborhoods according to the local newspaper, which I noticed did not post the housing listings on its website. If you get the chance to look, I recommend the Willow Valley sub-division which is kind of the "place to be" in Lamar.
If you are looking for fast-paced city-life excitement Lamar is probably not the place for you as many of the area youth leave to find. But if you are looking for a friendly place to live with nice people I definitely recommend it.

Old 03-20-2007, 02:23 PM

13,631 posts, read 21,483,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krystinelj View Post
I have several 20-something nieces and nephews who either can't wait to leave Lamar, or have already moved. There's not much in the way of job opportunities, culture, or entertainment there. We also lived there and couldn't wait to leave. The town is surrounded by feed lots, and there's no escaping the smell of cow manure. A few ranchers told me "that's just the smell of money" but it was still awful. Lamar is also the town where Oprah Winfrey was called the "n" word on her road trip across America, which unfortunately didn't surprise me. Try reading their local newspaper on-line at http://www.lamardaily.com/.
Is Oprah a personal friend of yours? I'd agree than there aren't too many black folks out there, but I did work with one guy named Bruce. He moved there from the Denver area a few years ago and he still lives there now. So to just pass Lamar as a racist town, not gonna happen.

I know a whole bunch of people from that area that are not racist. I know they have a pretty good contingency of Native Americans out there as well.

Lamar Christian Church is a great church. Stop in and see Minister Blacker sometime.

Old 03-25-2007, 08:08 AM

23 posts, read 112,541 times
Default Lamar public schools

There were 3 families from Lamar Colorado that tried to take the local school district to due process for non-compliance with IDEA. There children had severe autism. Charles Masner CDE threw there cases out. Colorado department of education has a bad habit of throwing all cases that dont have a good lawyer out for IDEA violations. I know one of these families personally.
Do not move to Colorado if your kid needs special education. Just not going to happen.
I was from Trinidad Colorado. The town there is a backwards town full of bars. Good jobs with the methane gas industry pioneer natural resources for now. The local school Fishers Peak Elementary would loose my son. ON top of it all they would also strip him on a daily basis looking for abuse. They wanted reprisal because I wrote several letters to CDE and US department of education on lack of compliance with IDEA. So this year I moved to Pueblo WEst Colorado where school district 70 had worst in store for me. They falsely accused me of sexually abusing my son because he rubs his genitalia on furniture. I have now been acquitted of all charges but my son will forever remain out of Colorado horrid public school system. Everything here revolves around parks, roads and recreation. Education no one cares.
The family I know with a severe autistic child in Lamar lives on a huge ranch with several family members. EAch has there own house but they all live on the same ranch.

Old 03-25-2007, 11:55 AM

431 posts, read 2,499,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krystinelj View Post
I just spoke to a person that was present when the N word was used. She said it should have not been used no matter but those 2 women came hotshotting into town in a convertible, cameras rolling, look at me, I'm a STAR and being quite nose in the air to the natives. One old cowboy that came in from work got to be the looks of destine and whisper, whisper to each other and the up and down look. And he did call them a dirty word but they sure were asking for it. City slickers do that a lot to small farming,ranching towns. They act and treat the residents as bugs way beneath them. This just happened to be worse. Of coarse THAT did not make the air!

Old 03-26-2007, 01:27 PM

13,631 posts, read 21,483,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadine View Post
I just spoke to a person that ...THAT did not make the air!
Well what ever happened, I'm sure it was the most exciting day in Lamar in a long time

Some farmer dude may have called Oprah the n-word and someone may not have. Who cares if Farmer Bux...Web...Woll...Mau...Lubb...Lowe...whatever his name was, DID call Oprah a N-A-G-G-E-R? She probably WAS a nagger on that particular day. How does that make the whole town of Lamar racist?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado