U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 02:39 PM

85,025 posts, read 98,908,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeLaSalle View Post
All of the Above:
*Moved to Louisville, CO in early June--90+ days of 90 degree plus(pleasant, gorgeous nights though)
*First snowfall in Sept--Frozen Permanently early Oct.
*Low salaries for most professions--Nurses, teachers, etc.
*very hostile to newcomers--"Why are you here and what do you Want??"-
WTF??
*State Tax as high as federal($$12,000. for 6 months wtf?)
*Polite yet not warm, I call it "Polite Hostility"*Terrible Sprawl
*Co is OVERATED AND OVERPRICED
*etc.,etc.,...

I Took me and my tax $$ and left...HeHe!!

Sorry about your fall...
Yes, I am sorry, too about your fall.
Agree with you DeLaSalle on #1, 3, 4, 6. I don't remember any snow in Sept, was out of town for the Oct. blizzard. This was not an ordinary summer or winter. (Yeah, I know, it's what they all say, but in this case it's true.) 90+ days of 90 degree heat, 60 days of continous snow cover, wow! I don't think I've seen both in the same yr and I've lived here 27yrs. Had to stay because DH was main wage earner and liked it. I eventually learned to like it, too. Found some true friends. (Most not from here originally)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2007, 03:01 PM

20,321 posts, read 37,832,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by val350z View Post
Would you place photos of bad weather in this forum for viewing ?
Been there, done that. Here is the Hit Parade of Winter 2006-2007:

Major Snowstorm - Front Range - Dec 20/21 - PHOTO INTENSIVE

More Snow On the Way!!!!!!!!

Blizzard for colorado springs?

Enjoy!

Old 03-18-2007, 10:35 PM

5,748 posts, read 10,511,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by synchro View Post
Growth has gotten completely out of hand and we have been flooded with newcomers without a clue.
I'm a newcomer to your great state and want to stay here long-term. Can you give me a heads-up about what I should know to live here happily? I want very much to be an asset to my new community and not the inspiration for complaints from long-time residents, who seem to resent outsiders.

Old 03-18-2007, 10:57 PM

7,886 posts, read 17,344,550 times
We lived in Littleton from 91-96 and well lets just say it was the worst years of my life..I will say Beautiful Beautiful State and to wake up to the foothills every morning was unbelievable, but funny enough because the 5.5 years that we spent there we never got alot of snow, and it certainly wasnt FREEZING..lol and here I was thinking omg Im living in colorado and all it will do is snow.LOL do u know it was colder and snowier in NY than there those years...with that, we went back home to NY moved to NJ and well cant afford to stay here so we too are going to be moving to NC as well...

Old 03-18-2007, 11:17 PM

2,755 posts, read 11,522,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeLaSalle View Post
[b]All of the Above:
*State Tax as high as federal($$12,000. for 6 months wtf?)
Let's see, state tax rate is 4.63% -- so your income here was $259,179.27.

And you're complaining about paying taxes?? (!)

Please!

Old 03-19-2007, 06:14 AM

131 posts, read 430,994 times
My wife and I left Denver last year. I must say, the ONLY negative to Denver is the real-estate prices. Cold...never very bad in my opinion. Feels colder in Atlata because the air is WET.
Those of you complainiing of suburban sprawl...you should see Atlanta!
To answer your question...knowing what I know now, if I could do it all over again I would have stayed in Denver and gotten into real-estate.

Old 03-19-2007, 07:00 AM

911 posts, read 3,200,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfox View Post
Let's see, state tax rate is 4.63% -- so your income here was $259,179.27.

And you're complaining about paying taxes?? (!)

Please!
HeHe, I love to pay my fair share...I demand to! Just seemed a lot on the high side...

Old 03-19-2007, 10:10 AM

585 posts, read 1,951,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
I'm a newcomer to your great state and want to stay here long-term. Can you give me a heads-up about what I should know to live here happily? I want very much to be an asset to my new community and not the inspiration for complaints from long-time residents, who seem to resent outsiders.
For starters, don't tell anyone you are from California. Haha, just kidding. I came to Colorado from Nebraska 10 years ago and never got flack for being an outsider. However, maybe it's different because Nebraska and Colorado are neighbors.

I think all of the growth has turned the front range of Colorado from a rural area to a suburban sprawl. If anyone is to blame, it's probably the low taxes and the other incentives by the local govts to attract businesses. Where there is good work and money, the people will come. Fort Collins is still rabid about getting more businesses and people in, even though there is this grave concern about water. I don't quite get it.

Old 03-19-2007, 10:41 AM

4,308 posts, read 11,477,566 times
Default Yikes

Either I'm completely oblivious or the luckiest person in Colorado. I relocated here in August 2005 from Minnesota and have NEVER encountered any hostility or negative vibes from anyone since arriving here. I lived and worked 7 months in Boulder which is apparently one of the worst places for that and I have to say, I found people there tremendously friendly and welcoming. Certainly in comparison to the Twin Cities! I now live in Longmont, work in Loveland, have friends from Fort Collins and spend time in Denver occasionally and again, never had any problems. Maybe it's my English accent that does it? Or maybe the fact that most people in this area are not from here either? There are a lot of Southerners here for one thing. Anyway, I guess I have to count my blessings.

Old 03-21-2007, 07:40 AM

365 posts, read 706,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilaili View Post
Either I'm completely oblivious or the luckiest person in Colorado. I relocated here in August 2005 from Minnesota and have NEVER encountered any hostility or negative vibes from anyone since arriving here. I lived and worked 7 months in Boulder which is apparently one of the worst places for that and I have to say, I found people there tremendously friendly and welcoming. Certainly in comparison to the Twin Cities! I now live in Longmont, work in Loveland, have friends from Fort Collins and spend time in Denver occasionally and again, never had any problems. Maybe it's my English accent that does it? Or maybe the fact that most people in this area are not from here either? There are a lot of Southerners here for one thing. Anyway, I guess I have to count my blessings.
You hit it on the head, I moved there in 75 and had a hard time finding any Natives. What other state has bumper stickers proudly stating you are a native? If you are running into hostility it's probably because the secret has been getting out for years now that Colorado ain't too bad.
And to the person complaining about Taxes spend a year in New York and let me know how bad it hurts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or