U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 12:10 PM

346 posts, read 1,418,359 times

Advertisements

Denver is NOT L. A. without an an ocean, in my opinion. I have lived my entire life about 30 miles east of L.A. I am hoping to move to Colorado because of the fact that it is NOTHING like L.A. Do you have drive-by shootings and gang-related murders reported in your local newspaper every day? Do you see graffiti on nearly every call box, highway sign, underpass, wall, etc.? Is the gang and graffiti activity becoming closer to home every day, as in right down the block? Are the schools suffering due to an unbelievable amount of illegal immigrants who (since they don't know the language and visit their native country for weeks at a time) bring test scores down for the entire state? Does it take you 90 minutes to travel 20 miles (this is not an exaggeration)? Does the traffic sit still for 10 minutes at a time? Do you feel you can no longer enjoy entertainment of any kind due to the traffic involved getting there, then the crowds of people at your destination? If you answered yes to more than half of these questions, then I am mistaken. Based on my research, Los Angeles' population is at 9,935,475. That's over twice the population of the entire state of Colorado (4,665,177). So for me, I'll take Colorado over L.A. any day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2007, 02:13 PM

2,755 posts, read 11,518,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebagirl View Post
Denver is NOT L. A. without an an ocean, in my opinion.
I think that the previous poster was exaggerating about us being L.A, but I think his point is that the way we are growing (mindless, haphazard sprawl), we are repeating all of SoCal's mistakes here so that one day we may indeed become L.A. without an ocean.

Old 03-28-2007, 04:38 PM

26,346 posts, read 80,802,810 times
Rebagirl is absolutely correct. I lived in the northwest areas of LA (San Fernando Valley, Moorpark, Thousand Oaks) for the past 45 years. TO and Moorpark are two of the few places remaining in Southern California where I would feel comfortable raising my family. However the current prices are over $400/sqft. Also, middle class type engineering jobs are relocating to the less expensive midlands away from the coasts. I moved to Monument last June and have traveled to and through the Denver area several times. Downtown Denver is clean and looks safe, sure there are a few oddballs, but not like LA’s downtown where everyone looks like either they are on drugs or they need drugs. There is absolutely no comparison between (even the OK areas of) LA and Denver. Don’t even think about the LA school district which (it was reported today from the LA Daily News) hit a new low in school test scores. I HAD to go to expensive private schools in LA or else I'd end up dropped out on drugs like just about everyone else from Canoga Park High School. Denver and COS have very little if any graffiti, ugliness, horrendous traffic, or poorly planned infrastructure that SoCal has. The worst areas of Denver are comparable to middle-of-the-road San Fernando Valley – the middle class ground zero 40 years ago. LA has “A” weather but Denver/COS has “B” weather…certainly not worth the delta of about $200/sqft. Everything else Denver/COS is better than LA (though they still need Trader Joes & Cupids out here.)
Bottom line: There aren't too many places better than Denver/Colorado Springs/Front Range for the aggregate of jobs/weather/housing affordability/amenities/quality of life.

Old 03-29-2007, 10:45 AM

13,669 posts, read 21,507,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumblebelly View Post
Looks like it's gonna happen sooner than I thought. Our house went under contract already!

Hellow Upstate NY! Goodbye desert!
Hello Rust!

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p133/mcgowdog/Ingrid.jpg (broken link)

Old 03-30-2007, 11:54 AM

31 posts, read 82,381 times
Default NY not all that...

All I have to say about NY is, well not be negative but, grew up there in Saratoga and I still go back to visit family...sprawl, oh yes!
Adirondacks are great but if you want to hike in anything but winter you'll be sharing the high peaks with hundreds of your closest friends from NYC/Long Island. Old Forge is a bit better, guess it's too far from the Northway for the city folks. If you don't hike or anything but stay on your piece of NY then I guess you'd be ok. The west is for me, even in Yellowstone, where I work, I can hike in the summer and not see as many people as I would in NY. Sadly its not a matter of finding the place that no one has found anymore, its finding one you can live with...overpopulation-its real!

Old 03-30-2007, 12:06 PM

585 posts, read 1,950,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainme View Post
All I have to say about NY is, well not be negative but, grew up there in Saratoga and I still go back to visit family...sprawl, oh yes!
Adirondacks are great but if you want to hike in anything but winter you'll be sharing the high peaks with hundreds of your closest friends from NYC/Long Island. Old Forge is a bit better, guess it's too far from the Northway for the city folks. If you don't hike or anything but stay on your piece of NY then I guess you'd be ok. The west is for me, even in Yellowstone, where I work, I can hike in the summer and not see as many people as I would in NY. Sadly its not a matter of finding the place that no one has found anymore, its finding one you can live with...overpopulation-its real!
Sprawl? Compare a satellite pic of Saratoga to one of Fort Collins. I've been to Saratoga and the Albany area. The spawl is not nearly as bad as it is here. For years more people have been going out than coming in.

The hikes are no busier around Old Forge than the hikes in the Poudre Canyon west of Fort Collins. We went kyaking twice in the summer on the Moose River, just a mile or two south of Old Forge. Yeah, there were a few folks on the river but it's not nearly as bad as what I've seen on the Poudre which is like a damn theme park.

There are many extremely remote areas of the Adirondacks. The park is HUGE and there's not a whole lot of roads.

Old 03-30-2007, 12:07 PM

585 posts, read 1,950,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
Hello Rust!

The jeep I own now came from Chicago. I need no lecture about the rustbelt!

Old 03-31-2007, 12:24 AM

476 posts, read 2,089,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainme View Post
It is sad but true that America is becoming overpopulated everywhere. Millions are coming into America legally and illegally every year and those people have to live somewhere so each year we gain more and more people. People are also living longer to add to it. We are now the third most populated country in the world next to China and India. It is going to be crowded everywhere you go.

Old 03-31-2007, 03:24 AM

13,374 posts, read 40,172,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_LUVNM View Post
It is sad but true that America is becoming overpopulated everywhere. It is going to be crowded everywhere you go.
True.
The Denver I left in '05 is not the same one I grew up in.
But then, the neighborhood my parents chose to buy a house in was empty rolling hills when my mom was growing up in Denver.
The growth is going to happen; how city planners deal with it can help or hurt the situation. Over the years, Colorado's caretakers have done many of the *right* things. But people continue to arrive. I remember Telluride before the film festival. Oh, the humanity.

I agree with jazzlover about the over-dependence on cars; I also agree with what somebody said earlier about the "outdoorsiness" and mountain activities being more talked about than actually done. For me, going up I-70, which was like a parking lot, became a chore more than a pleasure.
However, anyone can go for a run or a walk just about any day of the week because of the usually excellent weather.

The middle class squeeze has been happening and continues to happen all over the country; it just took awhile to reach the middle.
Colorado is still a beautiful place.
All of us everywhere just have to make the best of the situation.

Old 03-31-2007, 08:16 AM
tao

720 posts, read 2,917,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_LUVNM View Post
It is sad but true that America is becoming overpopulated everywhere. Millions are coming into America legally and illegally every year and those people have to live somewhere so each year we gain more and more people. People are also living longer to add to it. We are now the third most populated country in the world next to China and India. It is going to be crowded everywhere you go.
True. And add to the list the fact that most Americans are having two or more children. That certainly contributes to the problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or