U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-17-2007, 02:13 AM
 
7,069 posts, read 16,003,895 times
Reputation: 4423

Advertisements

We are currently living in central Parker, which is 28 miles southeast of Denver. We have been here in the area since June 2002. We moved here from Southern Calif., but are originally from Indiana and Michigan, so we already knew what living in winter weather was like. However, now that I have had a hip replacement done (Oct. 2005) and had to have shoulder surgery this past Feb 07 (from a fall on ice/snow just prior to Christmas), we have decided that we can no longer handle the winters here. We are getting ready to sell our house and move to Charlotte, NC. We know that the Charlotte area, and North Carolina in itself, can get fairly humid, but, at our age (58/59) we could handle the humidy much better than all the snow/ice that we have encounter here since moving here. We know that Charlotte gets snow, but not nearly as much as the Parker/Denver area can get in the winter.
So......if you have already moved from Colorado, why did you move. Was it due to the weather, not a good enough job salary or what? Do you like where you moved to better than when you lived in Colorado? Or, do you want to move out of Colorado now.....why? Where do you want to move to????
We have heard that some people who moved here couldn't handle the even "mild" (what a lot of locals call the winters here and what some "newbie" movers say "yea right" to) winters here and had to leave.
Please don't get us wrong, Denver and Colorado in general is a great State to live in, but the winters here can get nasty at times. This winter has cost my wife and I a nice little "chunk" of money due to my fall (and we have insurance).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-17-2007, 07:12 AM
Status: "Seattle here I come!" (set 19 days ago)
 
Location: Dirty Jerz
1,014 posts, read 4,228,257 times
Reputation: 184
I moved to Colorado in 1993 and and moved out in 1998. My best friend bought a brand new bi level in Parker for a 118,000 dollars in 93, 3 bedroom 2.5 baths! Wonder how much its worth today! :-) When I was there there was only one real bad winter 97/98 (the year I left) Im in NJ now ! BAD MOVE!! But thats a whole other story. My brothers in NC and was surfing last week. The waters still cold but the outside temp was pretty warm.A little too humid for me in the spring/summer and fall especially compaired to Colorado. Ever think about going west?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-17-2007, 08:28 AM
 
7,069 posts, read 16,003,895 times
Reputation: 4423
Quote:
Originally Posted by 41Willys View Post
I moved to Colorado in 1993 and and moved out in 1998. My best friend bought a brand new bi level in Parker for a 118,000 dollars in 93, 3 bedroom 2.5 baths! Wonder how much its worth today! :-) When I was there there was only one real bad winter 97/98 (the year I left) Im in NJ now ! BAD MOVE!! But thats a whole other story. My brothers in NC and was surfing last week. The waters still cold but the outside temp was pretty warm.A little too humid for me in the spring/summer and fall especially compaired to Colorado. Ever think about going west?
No moving West.....absolutely not! It is just to hot in the West during the summer months. We chose Charlotte, in part, because of the weather there. Like we said in the beginning of this topic, we think we can handle the humidity, but the snow/ice/cold that we get where our house is, is just to much for us to handle now. We have some video and photos of some pretty nasty summer and winter weather here since we moved here in 2002. People here can tell anyone about how nice "they think the weather is here", but we have some video/photos that would prove a lot of people here WRONG. I'm originally from Indiana and I have been in weather here that was just like the summer and winter weather that I had in Indiana. Like we tell everyone, "video and photos don't lie".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-17-2007, 08:43 AM
Status: "Seattle here I come!" (set 19 days ago)
 
Location: Dirty Jerz
1,014 posts, read 4,228,257 times
Reputation: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
No moving West.....absolutely not! It is just to hot in the West during the summer months. We chose Charlotte, in part, because of the weather there. Like we said in the beginning of this topic, we think we can handle the humidity, but the snow/ice/cold that we get where our house is, is just to much for us to handle now. We have some video and photos of some pretty nasty summer and winter weather here since we moved here in 2002. People here can tell anyone about how nice "they think the weather is here", but we have some video/photos that would prove a lot of people here WRONG. I'm originally from Indiana and I have been in weather here that was just like the summer and winter weather that I had in Indiana. Like we tell everyone, "video and photos don't lie".
No they dont lie. But its not every single winter. When I said west I was reffering to say San Diego where it never gets to hot or cold in any season. Northern Cali-Sacramento! Portland Oregon,Seattle Wa. I was there in 1996(Colorado) and went swimming with the polar bear club in the buolder res. on New Years day! It was 74 degree's!!Yes, they "can" get snow. But they can get awsome mild winters as well. I dont think youve lived there long enough to see that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-17-2007, 11:56 AM
 
23 posts, read 99,037 times
Reputation: 21
Question Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
No moving West.....absolutely not! It is just to hot in the West during the summer months. We chose Charlotte, in part, because of the weather there. Like we said in the beginning of this topic, we think we can handle the humidity, but the snow/ice/cold that we get where our house is, is just to much for us to handle now. We have some video and photos of some pretty nasty summer and winter weather here since we moved here in 2002. People here can tell anyone about how nice "they think the weather is here", but we have some video/photos that would prove a lot of people here WRONG. I'm originally from Indiana and I have been in weather here that was just like the summer and winter weather that I had in Indiana. Like we tell everyone, "video and photos don't lie".

Would you be able to place any of the photos that you have of the bad weather in this forum for viewing ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-17-2007, 01:30 PM
 
Location: The 719
13,684 posts, read 21,511,639 times
Reputation: 13309
I'd like to see some of those photos too. What a doosie of a winter we had for about 6 weekends straight. But that's over now! Go outside now and tell me how unbearable it is. Snow melts. Days get longer. We may not have a winter like that for another 9 years. And yes, I said HAD. We'll be really lucky to have another blizzard this season. Watch it start to warm up now.

I dare you to wait till May and see if you still feel the same way. If you do, then I'll bet that you're gonna be one of the first to go running for that air conditioner once we have our first 80+ day.

Move, don't move; Hope you have a full recovery by the way. The older I get, the less fun falling is. When I was trying to be Mountain Man in Evergreen, my girlfriend and I weren't doing too well and she bought me a puppy to try to delay the inevitable; I fell on my you-know-what when I took the little critter to the back yard to go finish its Number One duty and I slid on a chunk of ice that was our back steps. Thank God my thin layer of muscle covering my kidney, appendix, or whatever that organ is on the left side, broke my fall. Thank God for massage therapists. I guess I was lucky I didn't need surgery.

PS. The mutt wasn't hurt. I managed to lay the little mongrel down softly in the snow next to my head.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-17-2007, 01:41 PM
 
Location: Old Forge, NY
585 posts, read 1,951,036 times
Reputation: 196
We've lived in Fort Collins since about '97 and are planning to move to Upstate NY, hopefully the Albany/Saratoga Springs area. My wife's family lives in the Adirondacks and after a few visits I fell in love. Deep mixed forests, more lakes and rivers than you can count, rolling hills, plenty of snow and rain. Sometimes you can almost fool yourself into thinking you are in the higher elevations of Colorado, like around 9 to 10K feet.



Colorado is nice but if I wanted to stay I'd move west into the mountains. The front range is so dry and sunny it almost gets monotonous. I'm a little tired of the semi arid climate and the suburban sprawl that dominates the area. We'll miss downtown Fort Collins though.
Attached Thumbnails
Have You Already/ Or Do You Want To Move Out Of Colorado...Why?-moose-river-adirondacks.jpg  

Last edited by Rumblebelly; 03-17-2007 at 01:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-17-2007, 02:10 PM
Status: "Seattle here I come!" (set 19 days ago)
 
Location: Dirty Jerz
1,014 posts, read 4,228,257 times
Reputation: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
I'd like to see some of those photos too. What a doosie of a winter we had for about 6 weekends straight. But that's over now! Go outside now and tell me how unbearable it is. Snow melts. Days get longer. We may not have a winter like that for another 9 years. And yes, I said HAD. We'll be really lucky to have another blizzard this season. Watch it start to warm up now.

I dare you to wait till May and see if you still feel the same way. If you do, then I'll bet that you're gonna be one of the first to go running for that air conditioner once we have our first 80+ day.

Move, don't move; Hope you have a full recovery by the way. The older I get, the less fun falling is. When I was trying to be Mountain Man in Evergreen, my girlfriend and I weren't doing too well and she bought me a puppy to try to delay the inevitable; I fell on my you-know-what when I took the little critter to the back yard to go finish its Number One duty and I slid on a chunk of ice that was our back steps. Thank God my thin layer of muscle covering my kidney, appendix, or whatever that organ is on the left side, broke my fall. Thank God for massage therapists. I guess I was lucky I didn't need surgery.

PS. The mutt wasn't hurt. I managed to lay the little mongrel down softly in the snow next to my head.
Dont say that bro!! Its only March! It can be 70 today but a blizzard tomorrow! March is famous for big heavy snow flakes in March/April!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-17-2007, 02:12 PM
Status: "Seattle here I come!" (set 19 days ago)
 
Location: Dirty Jerz
1,014 posts, read 4,228,257 times
Reputation: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumblebelly View Post
We've lived in Fort Collins since about '97 and are planning to move to Upstate NY, hopefully the Albany/Saratoga Springs area. My wife's family lives in the Adirondacks and after a few visits I fell in love. Deep mixed forests, more lakes and rivers than you can count, rolling hills, plenty of snow and rain. Sometimes you can almost fool yourself into thinking you are in the higher elevations of Colorado, like around 9 to 10K feet.



Colorado is nice but if I wanted to stay I'd move west into the mountains. The front range is so dry and sunny it almost gets monotonous. I'm a little tired of the semi arid climate and the suburban sprawl that dominates the area. We'll miss downtown Fort Collins though.
Awsome! We use to go to Schroon lake every summer! 45 minute north of Lake George! The Adironacks are nice!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-17-2007, 02:26 PM
 
Location: Old Forge, NY
585 posts, read 1,951,036 times
Reputation: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by 41Willys View Post
Awsome! We use to go to Schroon lake every summer! 45 minute north of Lake George! The Adironacks are nice!!
Nice! I haven't had a chance to see Lake George yet, I heard it's heaven.

My wife grew up on Raquette Lake, wow, what a place! Remote and gorgeous. Her folks have a place on 1st Lake in Old Forge which we visit once or twice a year. The pic was just a couple miles south of town on the Moose. I told her if we are moving to upstate, I wanna be less than an hour from the Adirondacks. No ifs ands or buts about it. The Adirondacks remind me a lot of my favorite places in Colorado, the type of places you'll find moose!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top