Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 02:48 PM

112 posts, read 228,835 times

Advertisements

Good afternoon everyone,

I am looking potentially to relocate to Colorado, I currently live in Southern California the Santa Clarita Valley area which is a suburb about 35 miles north of Los Angeles. I have just started reviewing a few states that are of interest to me and so far I am liking Colorado area "Denver" seems like a similar atmosphere to Los Angeles, but not sure how it compares to the other cities there (Aspen, Boulder, Fort Collins, Etc.). I have tried to do research online and viewed the state websites for colorado, denver, fort collins, etc. but figured that this website (forum) would be a good place to start.

I like the suburb / city life and want to live in a comparable & safe city, while keeping the same or similar quality of life and be within a community with an excellent school system; not to mention having an opportunty to make a living in Real Estate Sales as that is my current profession. My girlfriend is in the Dental Field, and her daughter (12 years old) will be attending middle school. Any information would help greatly and be appreciated.

I have contemplated Las Vegas as well since it is not far from CA. But am also open to other areas, I want to stay on the west side of the U.S. and not breatk into the Midwest or east coast for weather reasons.

Thank you again for the help and feel free to contact me by email, AIM etc. (It might help to know that we are a young couple I am 27, my GF is 28; we currently pay $1,700 for rent on a 2br apartment) I want to stay away from Tornado's and Earthquakes as I can not stand either one!

Last edited by Shock976; 02-17-2009 at 03:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2009, 03:07 PM

12,259 posts, read 24,363,575 times
Pueblo is a very nice city and one you should consider, here is more info it:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/color...ml#post6736580

Old 02-19-2009, 12:02 AM

How would you describe Pueblo? Is it a small town, a city life but not big city life? where can I get more information on Pueblo... Any other suggestions?

Right now I am in the stages of checking job availability for my girlfriend, she is an RDA here in California but not sure what that means in CO.

Old 02-19-2009, 12:15 AM

The best way to describe Pueblo is a industrial city that meets the south west. We are about 150,000 people and located 30 miles south of Colorado Springs. We get less snow and are warmer then any major city in Colorado.

It all depends what you are looking for in a city? Big, small, medium. Colorado has a great variety.

What is a RDA?

Old 02-19-2009, 12:52 AM

565 posts, read 1,841,401 times
If you like suburb combined with big city, Pueblo is not for you. Pueblo is a small industrial city as joseppie states and is at least 30 miles from the south side of Colorado Springs.

As you state "Los Angeles like", then Denver area is probably best for comparable ameneties with Colorado Springs coming in second. You might want to look at Castle Rock which is just South of Denver - you have easy access to Denver, 40 mile access to Colorado Springs and easy access to the Front Range of the Rockies. For dental opportunities and for real-estate, Denver and Colorado Springs are the largest cities so you are likely to find the most opportunities. Being located in Castle Rock would put you between the two largest cities while closer to Denver, the largest.

Old 02-19-2009, 01:11 AM

17,883 posts, read 27,278,691 times
Santa Clarita, huh? Isn't that by the old skunk works, which is now Alfred Mann Foundation? Also near Valencia and Magic Mountain? Earthquakes and Tornados aren't fun, but you should have been more concerned with fires/flash floods/mud slides... I would think.

Yup. Ignore Josseppie's request to check out Pueblo. But come visit us some time. It's sort of the Bakersfield of Colorado... without all the glitter... and without all the jobs. But I like it! Not for young people willing to spend 1700+ for rent and needing excellent schools and wanting... culture. Denver, Evergreen, maybe Boulder if you can afford...

Old 02-19-2009, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
Santa Clarita, huh? Isn't that by the old skunk works, which is now Alfred Mann Foundation? Also near Valencia and Magic Mountain? Earthquakes and Tornados aren't fun, but you should have been more concerned with fires/flash floods/mud slides... I would think.

Yup. Ignore Josseppie's request to check out Pueblo. But come visit us some time. It's sort of the Bakersfield of Colorado... without all the glitter... and without all the jobs. But I like it! Not for young people willing to spend 1700+ for rent and needing excellent schools and wanting... culture. Denver, Evergreen, maybe Boulder if you can afford...
Pueblo is nothing like bakersfield!

How many Presidents went to visit them?

We are no Denver but we are more cosmopolitan then the Springs, and the hub of southern Colorado...

I would suggest anyone look at Pueblo to see if they like it or not, its a easy drive to Denver yet we have nicer weather and the cost of living is a lot lower....

Old 02-19-2009, 01:29 AM

Fires/Flash Floods/Mud Slides? does this all happen in CO? Fires we have severe fires in CA every Aug - Oct. I have never experienced a flash flood or mud slide but they do not sound fun either. How do I avoid those along with Tornadoes & Earthquakes...

Anyway, McGowdog, yes right here by Magic Mt, I live in Valencia you know the area? It has grown like crazy over the past 5 - 10 years you would not remember it if you have not been here for awhile. But you called it, so hopefully you know what I am used to now.

As for Living standards, I definitely want to be in an area for growth, that will allow me to make a living in Real Estate. As for the affordability standpoint, I am currently paying $1700 for a 2br in CA, but being that I will be picking up and leaving to a foreign area, I want to keep my costs fairly reasonable since I do not know when I will be licensed to practice and for my GF to find a job. I have reserves for about a year to hold me over so I need to make it work.

I was looking at Denver but I do not want the total LA Big City Feeling, Evergreen, I never thought of that area, Boulder I need to look into but since it is resorty it will probably be expensive.

Right now I am leaning toward Colorado Springs, Denver (not sure where), Castle Rock, I will look into Evergreen. Where is Highland Ranch??? Once I have a few cities picked out I am planning to come to Colorado to take a look around, talk to employers, look at homes, neighborhoods, etc. Thank you again for all the help I really appreciate it.

Old 02-19-2009, 01:30 AM

RDA = Registered Dental Assistant

Old 02-19-2009, 01:35 AM

Dont take my word look at what CU said about Colorado SPrings and Pueblo:

oPueblo County - Historically, Pueblo County has experienced moderate population growth. This trend will change when the Pueblo Springs Ranch is complete. The 23,000-acre subdivision in northeast Pueblo County is expected to have about 75,000 households, or 200,000 people when completed. The Historic Arkansas Riverwalk Project has begun to pay the economic dividends its creators intended. In August 2007, the new 44,000-square-foot headquarters of the Professional Bull Riders Association was dedicated, and new restaurants and other establishments have opened near the new building.

oSouthern Colorado (El Paso County) - El Paso County has been strongly influenced by rising foreclosures, stagnant wage increases, a weak residential construction industry and deployments of troops from Fort Carson to Iraq. All of these factors directly affect the region's employment, retail, wholesale and commercial activity, and the overall economic outlook of the region.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado