U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 10:08 AM

140 posts, read 488,617 times

Advertisements

[quote=formercalifornian;472955]

and, make no mistake about it, parents (especially mothers) of elementary schoolers can be some of the nastiest and most judgmental people on earth.

I thought I was the only one who felt that way! I have a preschooler and sometimes I dread the get-togethers with the parents because they are all couples and I'm the only single parent. Didn't mean to go off subject, but I just had to get that in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2007, 10:50 PM

5 posts, read 24,448 times
This is an interesting thread indeed! For I too am a 40 something who is looking to move to the Denver/Ft. Collins area from Maryland. The main reason, the people! I have been in MD for about 7 years without making a decent friend that lasted. When I have been in Colorado everyone seemed happy to be there and that's rare nowadays. I am not sure exactly how I will make friends but I know its not easy at my age and won't happen overnight. But I love the outdoors and I get a good "vibe" from Colorado and its people. They have shown me the difference between "Hey, good luck with that!" and "Here, let me help you with that."

Old 04-06-2007, 10:38 AM

5,748 posts, read 10,533,704 times
I'm sorry you didn't have a good experience in Maryland. I lived in an Ellicott City townhouse for a little less than 18 months, and I had great friends from the very start. The day after we moved in, neighbors came over to ask if the kids and I wanted to take a break and join them for an afternoon at the playground. They brought us food when we were unpacking and invited us over for BBQ's once we were all settled in. Our kids played together everyday.

We had a huge gang of people who just hung out, and it wasn't just young families. There were a couple of single, older folks who joined us, too. And, on top of that, everyone was from somewhere else in the world. My kids (and my spouse & I) learned to love Korean, Jewish, Indian, & Filipino cuisine while we lived there, becoming deeply appreciative of diversity in a way that was never possible when we lived in California. My daughter's first-grade classroom was literally a rainbow of children.

On top of that, we had access to so many wonderful places to visit within a short drive...Fort McHenry, the Aquarium & Science Center in the Inner Harbor, Antietam, the Smithsonian, Mount Vernon, the White House & Capitol, the Liberty Bell in Philadelphia, and Gettysburg to name a few. I could go on and on.

Get the feeling I miss it? Yeah, me too.

Old 04-06-2007, 10:56 AM

10,695 posts, read 28,594,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
On top of that, we had access to so many wonderful places to visit within a short drive...Fort McHenry, the Aquarium & Science Center in the Inner Harbor, Antietam, the Smithsonian, Mount Vernon, the White House & Capitol, the Liberty Bell in Philadelphia, and Gettysburg to name a few. I could go on and on.

Get the feeling I miss it? Yeah, me too.
I grew up in Montgomery County. I was born in DC and graduated college at St. Mary's in southern MD. I miss the cherry blossoms, the ocean and as Mike from back east knows...crabs.

I am very lucky to be able to return yearly in May for the NAR mid year meetings. I take the WCR Colorado leadership team out for crabs every year. Most of these ladies haven't ever seen a whole crab, let alone rip the legs off and eat them...A few have never been on the subway...good times.

5 more weeks

Old 04-06-2007, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
Most of these ladies haven't ever seen a whole crab, let alone rip the legs off and eat them.
You've made my mouth water. Yum!

Reisterstown and the Inner Harbor had a place called Edo Sushi that my husband and I just loved. Can't find anything as good here, but we're still looking. Any suggestions?

Boy, we've gotten way off-topic, haven't we?

Old 04-06-2007, 11:41 AM

1,207 posts, read 4,151,107 times
Quote:
let alone rip the legs off and eat them

Are these crabs cooked or still alive? What do you do with the bodies? I know nothing about eating crabs, but the ripping off the legs part sounds like a blast.

Old 04-06-2007, 11:48 AM

10,695 posts, read 28,594,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfrpilot View Post

Are these crabs cooked or still alive? What do you do with the bodies? I know nothing about eating crabs, but the ripping off the legs part sounds like a blast.
Steamed, to be exact. Heavily spiced with Old Bay. And if you ask MFBE (aka Moderator Mike) Natty Boh...I am down with that, but if you want to know the truth, I prefer Rolling Rock.

It is always funny to watch/teach a first-timer...crab races anyone?

Bodies go in the trash.

Old 04-06-2007, 08:36 PM

8,317 posts, read 25,183,346 times
Default Why Coloradans often dislike transplants

I am a native Coloradan. I lived in the state for nearly 50 years before a career move sent me to neighboring Wyoming. I lived in both urban and rural Colorado, and I had (and still maintain) professional connections in nearly all 64 counties in Colorado. There is hardly a city or town, biggest to smallest, in the state that I haven't visited. So, I would say I know Colorado about as well as anyone.

It's true, a lot of Coloradans dislike, often vehemently, newcomers. Those Coloradans can generally be divided into two groups: The old line natives who hate what rampant growth has done to the state they grew up in and loved. I would count myself in that group. The others are the people "who just moved in and want be the last people who just moved in."

To understand why the old natives get so bitter about what has happened to the state, one has to understand how wonderful the state was before growth went out of control. Let me put it this way, I grew up around Denver--I tell people today that the Denver I grew up in doesn't exist anymore. Some of the landmarks are still there, but the city is completely different--and not in a positive way. I would think that anyone who grew up in California and saw how it changed could easily relate. That is why I think there is a lot of resentment of Californians. The attitude among many Coloradans is "they screwed up California to the point that they hate it--now they're coming here and screwing this place up the same way!" That belief is bolstered when, as another poster mentioned, the transplants spout off about, "Well, back in [insert place here], we did it this way. Why can't it be that way here?" That usually rates a standard Coloradan response, "Well, if it was so great where you were, why don't you go back?" I would agree that it's often unfair stereotyping of individuals that are very upstanding good people that happen to come from someplace else. I think it is just an expression of frustration about out of control growth, sprawl, and loss of quality of life that those things bring.

Old 04-06-2007, 09:03 PM

Jazzlover...

Thank you for the thoughtful response. I think I understand your point. My in-laws, who live in Ken-Caryl Valley, feel the same way about Orlando, which is no longer recognizable to those who lived there pre-Disney. Even in California, there is real resistance to growth. The small town where I lived in NorCal was constantly going to battle over urban growth boundaries. They thought that if they refused to widen the highway or allow developers to build new neighborhoods, the transplants would go away. They were wrong, and it resulted in outrageous housing prices and worse traffic.

That said, I do struggle with the anti-newcomer attitude I get whenever people find out that I'm a recent transplant, especially since I feel a bit ambivalent about having moved here myself. But, there is no going back. I'm here, I'm staying, and I'm trying very hard to make the best of it. Everyday it gets a little easier, and I feel more like I belong.

Thanks for the support.

Old 04-06-2007, 09:20 PM

8,317 posts, read 25,183,346 times
formercalifornian,

Let me give you an example of how Colorado has changed. When I was in high school in 1970, Ken Caryl was still a working ranch. So was Highlands Ranch, which was the Phipps Ranch. The only thing on County Line Road was the Arapahoe County landfill. Douglas County had population of around 15,000. Hampden Ave. was a two lane highway west of Wadsworth Blvd. Fort Logan was out in the country. All of that changed since I got out of high school.

Go back to 1945, when my parents moved to Denver, and Colorado Blvd. was gravel south of Alameda Ave.!

Just way too much growth and sprawl way too fast--most of it from "in-migration."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado