Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 10:10 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,052,379 times

Advertisements

Another thread inspired me to ask the following question:

As a newcomer to Colorado, what can I do to avoid becoming the inspiration for complaints from long-time residents, who sometimes treat me with outright hostility when they realize I'm a recent transplant? Is this just to be expected?

I plan to stay here long-term, and I would like to establish good relationships with my neighbors, but the minute people find out I've lived in California, they seem to shut down.

Any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2007, 10:14 PM

11,826 posts, read 34,433,423 times
start wearing cowboy boots and a cowboy hat, get yourself a four wheel drive truck and put a gun rack up.

Seriously the secret to developing relationships is to ask questions. Pay attention to the answers and look people in the eye.

p.s. go buy yourself some cowboy boots, you will feel better.

Old 03-18-2007, 10:19 PM

The cowboy boots? Not happening.

Your other advice is good, and it's something at which I work very hard. I'm not giving up, but sometimes I feel discouraged and wonder if we haven't made a grave error in moving here.

Old 03-18-2007, 10:21 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post

As a newcomer to Colorado, what can I do to avoid becoming the inspiration for complaints from long-time residents, who sometimes treat me with outright hostility when they realize I'm a recent transplant? Is this just to be expected?

I plan to stay here long-term, and I would like to establish good relationships with my neighbors, but the minute people find out I've lived in California, they seem to shut down.

Any advice?
Probably don't say "back in California they did it THIS way". Other than that, I have no suggestions. I remember the hostility when I came here, too, and I didn't say or do anything antagonistic. Find some other Californians to hang out with.

Old 03-18-2007, 10:30 PM

Why on earth would you publically say you have made a "grave error" in moving here?

What was the decision process, the relocation process, are you living in church based housing?

If you don't like the location of your home, change it. Next time knock on some doors. You seem to be in the fluke section.

Douglas County is very affluent, it is not COS. Highly educated people don't act like that unless they are very unchristian.

Old 03-18-2007, 11:02 PM

I apologize if I have offended you, 2bindenver.

When I say I wonder if I made a grave error, it means that I fear I won't ever fit in. In our neighborhood, my family is the most liberal of the group, and I find myself biting my tongue a lot. I don't expect Douglas County to suddenly become a Democratic strong-hold. We knew what we were getting into, but over the long-haul, I wonder if I'll ever be able to develop honest friendships, in which I don't have to hide my opinions.

We are currently living in a rental house and plan to purchase this summer. We rented so that we would have time to "knock on some doors" as you suggested.

You asked about our relocation process. My in-laws live in Ken-Caryl Valley, which is the reason we moved to Colorado. My husband also landed his dream job here, after 18-months of employment hell working for a government contractor in Maryland. I loved MD, but the job wasn't worth it. We live in Douglas County because my spouse commutes between northern CO Springs & the DTC, so it cuts down on his commute times.

I agree that parts of Douglas County are very affluent, but I'm stumped by your acronym "COS." And, no we don't live in church-based housing. I don't understand why you would ask that question. Can you clarify?

Old 03-19-2007, 12:27 AM

70 posts, read 319,732 times
Quote:

Any advice?
Can you define "outright hostility"? Do verbal exchanges go fine, the all of a sudden neighbors get hostile when they realize you're a transplant(or that you're a transplant from CA)?

Sorry to be so curious but your situation sounds out of the norm. Are you open to sharing some of your conversations that lead to neighbors shutting down? Could be helpful for other readers who are looking to move to Denver.

FYI: I believe "COS" is acronym for Colorado Springs.

Old 03-19-2007, 12:38 AM

188 posts, read 933,746 times
COS means Colorado Springs. I didn't get the church-based housing thing, either, but I don't live there yet. I would keep looking around for the right neighborhood. I have very liberal family members who moved there, and they are happy and have found friends. I've spent considerable time in Colorado over the years, and I know not everyone in the area is conservative. I plan to add one more liberal (myself) to the area in the near future.

Old 03-19-2007, 07:54 AM

Quote:
...what can I do to avoid becoming the inspiration for complaints from long-time residents, who sometimes treat me with outright hostility when they realize I'm a recent transplant?
I was guessing, incorrectly, about the current housing situation, given the "inspiration" part of the above quote. I took it to mean gossip. The best in class gossips are IMO church ladies.

I have never seen, or heard of transplant discrimination before. It seems to me that if you are looking for a new place, that would be a reason that some people would not want to establish a relationship with you.

Everybody came from somewhere. Your neighboors aren't Native Americans. I feel for you that you temporarily landed in an unhappy place...but you can fix that and live the life you dreamed of.

BTW, Ken Caryl is nice. So are parts of Maryland. I grew up in Monkey County (before the budget crisis) Sometimes I think DougCo is very similar to Monkey County. Less trees, more views, less traffic, less crabs, nicer people.

Old 03-19-2007, 09:16 AM

585 posts, read 2,223,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post

Everybody came from somewhere. Your neighboors aren't Native Americans. I feel for you that you temporarily landed in an unhappy place...but you can fix that and live the life you dreamed of.
Totally agree. Most people living in the front range are not from Colorado. The past 10 years I've been here, I know waaaaay more people that are from out of state (CA, NY, NJ, VT, TX, NE, IL, IA, WA, OR, GA.....) than I know natives. I'm not a native and I have never been discriminated against. Also, I don't know anyone personally that has been discriminated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado