Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2010, 06:15 PM

12,259 posts, read 24,369,700 times

Advertisements

I have been writing about the Riverwalk's and how it will be expanded in the next 10 years so I decided to post the path it will take from where it currently ends to the interstate.

This is where it currently ends.

These are the two properties that will have to be torn down. One is owned by the city and the other a private company. They will just move their operations to the building in Pueblo West. Since it is industrial that is a better fit anyway.

This building is after Santa Fe and will be torn down.

This is the part of the interstate where the Riverwalk will go under.

As a side note the hill you see to the left behind I-25 is called goat hill. That was a place where many Italian immigrants lived back in the early part of the 20th century and was a hot spot for the mafia. In fact one story is there was a gun fight between two different mafia groups and one side ran out of bullets so they stopped the fighting so they could go down to Pueblo and buy more bullets. Once they did the shooting resumed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2010, 07:45 PM

Just some random pictures I took of downtown Pueblo.

Old 03-05-2010, 07:42 PM

Talking Downtown Pueblo by the Riverwalk

I was at the HARP authority today working on Pride and asked them about the state grant. They told me that they applied for it and now they are waiting to see if it gets aproved so it could be anytime. They even showed me the drawing of the proposed buildings and it looks nice. They will even build their new office above the river channel between the convention center and aquatics center. While there I asked if I could take some pictures of the area from their office and they said ok. I thought this would be a good "before shot".

Old 03-19-2010, 01:07 AM

I took these pictures while I was downtown tonight to see Avenue Q.

I think they are painting this historic building on Union Ave.

This is a night shot of the PBR Building on the Riverwalk.

I have shown many pictures of the outside of Memorial Hall before but no good ones of the inside so tonight I was on the balcony leval and took this great picture.

Old 03-23-2010, 09:47 PM

Talking Wells Fargo Building

I took this picture today of my favorite highrise. I was going to take more but my camara ran out of batteries so look for more close up shots of buildings in downtown Pueblo in the next few weeks.

Old 03-24-2010, 07:20 PM

Talking Thatchor Building

Some close up views of the Thatchor Building in Pueblo.

Old 03-26-2010, 11:21 PM

Talking Marriott hotel

I was in downtown for dinner tonight and took these pictures of the Marriott hotel.

Old 04-02-2010, 07:54 PM

Talking Pueblo Convention Center

This is the latest drawings of the proposed expansion for the Pueblo Convention Center. Below are some quick facts about the proposed expansion.

1: Pueblo's Market Range: Primary market population is 156,000 and secondary market population is 400,000.

2: The primary market Pueblo would draw from for conventions is from Salt Lake City to Houston and from San Antonio to Kansas City and Omaha.

3: Riverwalk quick facts:

A) One of only 14 urban, high density riverwalks in the nation.
B) Average 1,285 visitors/day, 469,162/year.
C) 64% of visitors originate from out of state or country.
D) Actual Riverwalk channel only 50% complete.
E) Riverwalk visitation expected to grow proportionate to rate of Riverwalk real estate development.

4: Convention Center Quick Facts:

A) Second largest public facility in Colorado.
B) Average 65,000 visitors/year.
C) 16% of visitors originate from out of state.
D) Home to one of only 4 Medal of Honor Memorials in the country.
E) Built and subsidized utilizing 3.3% of total City of Pueblo sales tax.

5: THE ANCHOR: Expanded Pueblo Convention Center

A) Expands from 49,000 sq ft to 94,000 sq ft -- would rank 61st percentile nationally.
B) Pueblo voters approved expansion in 2007.
C) Expands Pueblo’s convention and events market range from a regional facility to a national facility.
D) Target market niches: Colorado affordability, military and veterans events, amateur sports.
E) Drives demand for: more hotel rooms, more commercial space, more travel to Colorado.

6: State Sales Tax Increment

A) Expanded Convention Center
B) Expanded Medal of Honor Memorial
C) Addition of Riverwalk Boat House
D) Parking Facility
E) Aquatics Center

7: Private and Local Funding

A) 250 Hotel Rooms
B) Veterans’ Bridge
C) “Old Police Station” Redevelopment
D) “Old Health Department” Redevelopment
E) HARP Lot 6
F) Infrastructure Improvements
G) Amphitheater
H) Aquatics Center
I) Memorial Hall

Source: Pueblo urban renewal authority

The link:
Urban Renewal Authority of Pueblo

Last edited by Josseppie; 04-02-2010 at 08:15 PM..

Old 04-12-2010, 03:32 PM

Talking Downtown Pueblo

I wanted to build from my post on the proposed expansion of the Riverwalk/ Convention Center in downtown Pueblo and the impact it will have on the area.

I admit these are not the best pictures but I wanted to show what the area along Santa Fe Avenue south of 1st street where the convention center and Riverwalk are. In the future the Riverwalk will go under Santa Fe and I-25 and end at Runyon Lake. As this gets built I would like to see this street become more dense with low to mid level highrise hotels.

I took this picture as I was on Santa Fe just north of 1st street. You can see on the left ther is a Carls Jr, Loaf N Jug, Cambrie Suites Hotel and a 4 story historical building.

I would like to see more hotels, like a Hilton, and resturents, like a P.F. Changs. They should utilize underground parking.

Not in the picture but where the trees are on the bottom left is where the parking lot for the Sangre De Cristo Art Center is. In the future I would like to see them build a new world class theater there and have a 5 story parking garage across Santa Fe Ave where there is a parking lot now. They could build a walkway over pass and in between the current art center and the new one have it covered like it is in front of the Buell in Denver.

This is a perfect spot for a resturant like P.F. Changs.

This is just a close up shot of the Cambria Suites. This shows the potential Pueblo has if private devlopers are building hotels when the Convention Center is only 49,000 square feet. Imagine the possiblities when it gets expanded to 94,000 square feet.

This is where the Convention Center and Riverwalk will be expanded, you can see the convention center on the bottom right. Plus this is the site of the Aquatic center. That building is right in the path of the Riverwalk and will be bought out and their operations moved to their Pueblo West office at the Pueblo West Industrial Park.

This is a litle futher down on the west side of Santa Fe. Patties resturant could be used for a hotel or more room for the convention center in the future. In the distance you can see the towers for the Pueblo Ice House.

I want to finish by saying that I know there is a lot of work to be done but with what Pueblo has done and if we get the state grant we will be well on our way of making this part of downtown a place out of state people will want to visit for conventions. It will be fun to see how this area changes by 2020!

Old 04-20-2010, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilicheesefries View Post
Pueblo will always be important but I don't think it will ever be the largest. Everything you mention about Pueblo can be applied to Denver moreso. Pueblo is at crossroads of I-25 and US 50 but Denver is at crossroads of I-25 & I-70. Denver may not be able to grow as a city but it doesn't have to because it has a very sizeable margin. When I mentioned that Pueblo doesn't have suburbs I mean incorporated cities that surround it. That gives it a big advantage as it doesn't have to compete with other cities for land and development. When you leave Denver and go to Aurora or Lakewood or Englewood you wouldn't necessarily know it except for the signs as there is no break. It is continuous and Pueblo doesn't have this.
When I say that Pueblo has a good chance of being the largest city in the state I am referring to the largest city not MSA. That is because of all the larger cities in the state Pueblo has the most room to expand plus Pueblo has a large downtown that can become just as dense as downtown Denver. In fact Pueblo is working on the Riverwalk/ convention center area and the Riverwalk is only 1/2 finished and the convention center is the second largest publicly owned facility in the state at 49,000 square feet and it will be expanded to 94,000 square feet but has room to expand more in the future. I have talked about it earlier in this thread but the Riverwalk area will be to Pueblo what LODO is to Denver. However, I don't think the Pueblo MSA will top 3 million anytime soon so I think the Denver MSA is safe. That is why I call Pueblo "Colorado's second city" not "Colorado's first city".

This is what the expanded convention center will look like:

This is what the area will look like. In the future the Riverwalk can go past the convention center past the baseball statidum and end at the lake.

So as downtown Pueblo develops we will have amentias that not even downtown Denver has including but not limited to a lake, outdoor amphitheater, kayak course, and a large Riverwalk.

Go to this web page for more information:

http://www.pueblourbanrenewal.org/

Last edited by Josseppie; 04-20-2010 at 01:27 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado