U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2006, 08:18 PM

23 posts, read 86,691 times

Advertisements

Congratulations! I love a great success story! Thank you for sharing.

I'm curious, how long has your husband been a programmer? I ask because I have been working as a Data Analyst, that does some programming in my job, but I've never done it full-time. I seem to have a knack for it and would like to give it a try as a primary job. Does he have any suggestions for "breaking in" to the field?

I'm with you about moving there without a job. I'm going to try to find something ahead of time but nothing says "I mean to stay" then showing up at their door with resume in hand.

You will have to let us know how you like your new home after you get situated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by antipode12

I'm curious: did you see anything about the "conservative" (cultural, religious) nature of Col Spr.? that is, did it seem to define the town?
I really wasn't there long enough to get a feel for it. I did see this addressed in a couple of posts on
removed

Last edited by Marka; 06-28-2006 at 01:09 AM.. Reason: merged
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2006, 06:58 PM

20,313 posts, read 37,815,914 times
Smile "The List"

[quote=INtoCOinJuly] ..snip...MonsterJobs and other online services had old jobs listed and were pretty pointless overall. The best two things he did were local Job Fairs and actually going to Colorado.....we went to Colorado in March, drove around and wrote down names of every company we saw that looked like a place he could get a job...we ended up with about 200 names!....My husband spent many hours going to the websites of those companies and sending more resumes...it only takes ONE...the RIGHT one! My husband got ONE call...they interviewed him by phone 3 times and flew him to CS for full interview. A week later he was offered a job with good benefits and a sign on bonus...that was in April. They were completely ok with him starting in July..... /QUOTE]

Great initiative! Glad to hear he was offered a position. How is it going at this time?

Is there any chance you could put that list of companies in a posting here?

Thanks!

s/Mike

Old 07-09-2006, 09:23 PM

649 posts, read 2,650,085 times
Hey there- My husband just got a new job, he is a programmer aswell. I would suggest POSTING your job on Dice.com. He had alot of companies contact him because they were looking at the posted resumes. Just a suggestion. SHEP

Old 10-18-2010, 08:19 PM

2 posts, read 2,557 times
I am from canada and have 3 months left of school. Wanting to make a move to Colorado, it has been on my heart to move and try a new adventure for so long. where is the best place in Colorado to look for jobs and has alot of outdoor activities. I don't know much about Colorado but the pictures are beautiful. How is living costs in colorado?????

Old 10-18-2010, 09:34 PM

14,131 posts, read 26,268,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgoulet View Post
I am from canada and have 3 months left of school. Wanting to make a move to Colorado, it has been on my heart to move and try a new adventure for so long. where is the best place in Colorado to look for jobs and has alot of outdoor activities. I don't know much about Colorado but the pictures are beautiful. How is living costs in colorado?????
Do you have a green card (work permit) or other status that allows you to work in the U.S. legally?

Old 10-19-2010, 08:45 AM

8,317 posts, read 25,111,186 times
Quote:
I have to ask: Why, as a Canadian citizen, would you want to go though all the trouble to move to Colorado, when Canada has mountain country in Alberta and B.C. that is every bit as beautiful as Colorado (if not more so), is far less crowded and overdeveloped? In many ways, the Canadian Rockies are what Colorado was 30-50 years ago--in a good way.

I know lots of Coloradans who would jump at the chance to emigrate to western Canada if they could obtain Canadian citizenship and if they could find jobs there. Unlike the United States, however, Canada actually has some policies to control who emigrates to the country, so Canada, at least, has a chance of not becoming the overpopulated mess that this country is headed for unless we change course.

Bluntly, you should stay in Canada--move to the Canadian Rockies if that is the environment you want--and be thankful you are where you are.

Old 10-19-2010, 09:42 AM

7,756 posts, read 16,459,702 times
The biggest regret in my life is having given up my landed immigrant status in Canada. I lived in Canada long enough to become a Canadian citizen but I never took the step. Man I blew it! Don't make the same mistake that I did. IMO, Colorado always comes in a distant second when I compare it to the Canadian Rockies and/or British Columbia. There is no finer place on the planet than BC. I hope you don't make the same mistake. Think about your crazy idea long and hard.

Old 10-22-2010, 03:48 PM

2 posts, read 2,557 times
Well thanks for the opinion, I definitely know that here is an amazing place to live. But do you know how expensive it is for us Canadians to live close to the mountains and yet BC......It is definitely not cheap. And well sometimes people just need a change in place, or a different adventure. Canada is an amazing place to live, and yes the mountains are unbelievable, but most definitely hard making a living anywhere close to it. Anyways just exploring different options

Old 10-25-2010, 09:35 AM

8,317 posts, read 25,111,186 times
Quote:
Well thanks for the opinion, I definitely know that here is an amazing place to live. But do you know how expensive it is for us Canadians to live close to the mountains and yet BC......It is definitely not cheap. And well sometimes people just need a change in place, or a different adventure. Canada is an amazing place to live, and yes the mountains are unbelievable, but most definitely hard making a living anywhere close to it. Anyways just exploring different options
Colorado will be no different than what you describe about the Canadian mountains as far as the economic challenges, just with added problem of you being a Canadian trying to work here.

Old 10-25-2010, 09:52 AM

14,131 posts, read 26,268,254 times
Quote:
So as to my question: how would you be able to work here if you're not a permanent resident? I don't think Canadians are treated much differently than Mexicans in that regard, yes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or