U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2007, 11:06 AM

6 posts, read 36,672 times

Advertisements

My wife and I currently live in Kalamazoo, Michigan living off my income as an engineer while she finishes up school to become a registered nurse. She'll be done with school next spring and we're planning to move to the west at that time - hopefully to CO. We're planning a visit this summer over the week of the 4th of July and right now we're planning to spend a couple days in Denver, then make our way up to Fort Collins as that's a town we're definitely intersted in checking out - seems like a perfect fit for us from what we've read about it.

Any recommendations on things to while we're there to get a good feel for what the area (Ft. Collins and surrounding areas) has to offer in a short week? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2007, 11:28 AM

2,755 posts, read 11,512,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little.dipper View Post
Any recommendations on things to while we're there to get a good feel for what the area (Ft. Collins and surrounding areas) has to offer in a short week? Thanks.
In Fort Collins, you can check out the city's Old Town area, as well as its excellent system of trails and Parks, particularly Horsetooth Mountain Park, the Spring Creek and Poudre River Trails, as well as do some hikes up in the Poudre Canyon area (GreyRock makes a nice day hike).

Old 03-23-2007, 03:59 PM

530 posts, read 2,370,547 times
I think you will love Colorado. As a U of M grad who recently moved to Colorado, I can tell you that there are a lot of people from Michigan here. Everyone I talk to says you can't even begin to compare the two states. They love Colorado. There is a great arts festival in Cherry Creek a fun shopping district of Denver around the fourth of July. You might want to check it out and do some shopping.

Old 03-24-2007, 12:07 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
20,785 posts, read 37,451,783 times
I'd definately get to Estes Park & Rocky Mtn Natoinal Park (tho that is a busy week, (fireworks over lake?) but It is not a bad place to live! + decent hospital and clinics. Crowded during peak summer, as a 'vacation' destination.

also enroute, drop by Loveland's Benson Sculpture Garden, from Ft C. just drive south on Shields (turns into Taft in Loveland), Left (east) on 29th, first left. This event is good (pics and links included) http://www.sculptureinthepark.org/ . (decent medical jobs in Loveland too (new hospital, lots of growth). I was an engineer in Loveland a long time ago Still quite a few jobs in that field in Ft C and Loveland area, as many companies were started from ex-HPites, IBM, Kodak... then there is Woodward Governor (what a nice campus) http://www.woodward.com/. And these guys are a good employer - http://www.walkermowers.com./. I think I'll make a special trip for this event. http://www.walkermowers.com./HymnSing/index.htm (broken link)
While I lived in Loveland, it was nice to ride a bike or motorcycle to work everyday, and swim on lunchbreaks, in one of 3 indoor community pools...the things you miss... (nearest community pool (1) in our WA state county of 300,000 is 25 miles away and $7./swim ...)

other things to do...If you go to Estes from Ft Collins...go one direction (preferably westbound) over Horsetooth Res. and down through Masonville to Hwy 34, then right at Big Thompson School (alma mater circa 1960... ) to get to Estes park.

If you are not going to return during daylight, then turn left on Cty Rd #24 (just north of Big T), and drive east to view the Devil's Backbone. Worth the 5 min trip!!, you will drop onto Glade Road, and can rejoin hwy 34 a few miles east, then just turn rt to get to Estes Park.

You can catch the Statue Park in Loveland on another day. A walk around Lake Loveland takes ~ 1 hr, and is nice too. (more statues along the way, and on south side of lake (as well as a shady park) and maybe a free band concert (circa 1960, with free watermelon and sometimes homemade ice cream)

While in Loveland check out the city center, library, and park (more bronze sculptures) on east fourth str.

Ft Collins has some really nice parks too, check for local events before coming, there is some really good talent around.

local employer links
http://www.aboutftcollins.com/employers6.htm (as well as pages 1-5)
http://www.aboutloveland.com/employers1.htm

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 03-24-2007 at 12:21 PM..

Old 03-24-2007, 03:54 PM

9 posts, read 243,359 times
Default Ft. Collins

I also just read that Fort Collins made the top 10 places to invest list. It's not "close" to Denver so plan accordingly with work, but it’s a great place to live. Good luck, [mod cut].

Last edited by Mike from back east; 03-24-2007 at 07:09 PM.. Reason: No seeking of business allowed in the forums.

Old 03-25-2007, 10:03 AM

585 posts, read 1,949,825 times
I've lived in Fort Collins for a while and everyone has great recommendations. Poudre Canyon, Red Feathers are great places to go if you enjoy the outdoors and camping. Not sure what your interests are but....a drive up Rist Canyon then onto Buckhorn Rd and over Pennock Pass is a beautiful, more rugged adventure. It'll take you into a big mountain valley where there is a CSU summer campus, at the edge of Rocky Mtn National Park. You can actually take hikes into the park from that area.

It's good that you are taking some time to visit the area because the land is quite different, definitely less green and drier. That's prolly a good thing in the summer, eh? The college presence is rather strong here too.

If you are a beer drinker, I'd suggest visiting the local breweries and the brewpub downtown. This town changed me from a macro lager drinker to a hard core beer geek.

Old 03-26-2007, 10:56 AM

6 posts, read 36,672 times
Thanks for all the great feedback. Right now we're planning to spend a couple days in Denver, then head up to Loveland and Ft. Collins for about 3-4 days. We've got several day hikes in mind as well as some city-life things we plan to check out. Thank you all.

Old 03-27-2007, 03:58 PM

1 posts, read 2,405 times
Default Hope to see you there

My husband and I will also be moving to Denver and let me know if you decide to go too.

Old 03-27-2007, 04:31 PM

10,017 posts, read 16,692,551 times
My husband and three kids are leaving AZ for Co next month!!! Cant wait.

Old 03-27-2007, 05:05 PM

84,961 posts, read 98,795,031 times
Default little.dipper

I think as a new graduate RN, your wife would find a wider variety of jobs available in the metro Denver area. Lots of hospitals, lots of different specialties. You will probably have more job options in the Denver area as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or