U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 10:37 AM

271 posts, read 1,229,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradburn1 View Post
I've seen a posting recently by the city of Westminster looking for an urban planner to develop a TOD plan to replace/revive the rather run down Westminster Mall. I know the city is working with Fastracks to get stop there, should be interesting to see if that works out or not.

Westminster actually is pretty progressive (even though their building/permitting department can be difficult to work with--at least that's what all the builders in Bradburn tell me), Westminter has quite a few ongoing or in development mixed-use projects other than Bradburn such as Hyland Village which is just breaking ground on Sheridan close to 92nd street. There's also The Orchard which is up north close to I25 and 136th. That was supposed to be mixed-use, but I haven't heard of them going forward with a residential component (the horrible market perhaps). For a city of its size, I think Westminster is being pretty smart about growth, and so are other cities around Denver, Broomfield has the new Aritsa development for example, and most cities are developing many TOD plans along the future Fastracks stops. Makes me feel like this is a good place to have a future.
Yeah, I agree. Westminster Center is already quite a nice bus station -- much larger and better served than Church Ranch right now. They'll get a BRT station through Fastracks, and I bet once it's there they'll improve the bus service to/from the station and Westminster Mall. Not sure about adding high-density residential near the station though. I don't know much about the east side of town. I haven't heard about any plans to extend the HOV lanes farther north on I-25 but that would help a lot with improving the bus service along that corridor, which would be useful considering the north metro rail will mainly benefit communities on the east side of I-25.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2008, 11:42 AM
txp

15 posts, read 43,673 times
CDOT | North I-25 EIS

Apparently codt is considering 3 plans for improving 25. One of them has the hov lanes being extended all the way up 25 but the plan won't be picked for 2 years and then has to be funded and constructed so it'll be a while if it happens.

Old 01-04-2008, 01:11 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,257,121 times
Quote:
I've seen a posting recently by the city of Westminster looking for an urban planner to develop a TOD plan to replace/revive the rather run down Westminster Mall. I know the city is working with Fastracks to get stop there, should be interesting to see if that works out or not.

Westminster actually is pretty progressive (even though their building/permitting department can be difficult to work with--at least that's what all the builders in Bradburn tell me), Westminter has quite a few ongoing or in development mixed-use projects other than Bradburn such as Hyland Village which is just breaking ground on Sheridan close to 92nd street. There's also The Orchard which is up north close to I25 and 136th. That was supposed to be mixed-use, but I haven't heard of them going forward with a residential component (the horrible market perhaps). For a city of its size, I think Westminster is being pretty smart about growth, and so are other cities around Denver, Broomfield has the new Aritsa development for example, and most cities are developing many TOD plans along the future Fastracks stops. Makes me feel like this is a good place to have a future.
Westminsters building department is absolutly impossable to work with. lol several of the bradburn and a few of the ranch reserve houses we did took forever to get the permits on.

Old 01-04-2008, 04:04 PM

271 posts, read 1,229,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txp View Post
CDOT | North I-25 EIS

Apparently codt is considering 3 plans for improving 25. One of them has the hov lanes being extended all the way up 25 but the plan won't be picked for 2 years and then has to be funded and constructed so it'll be a while if it happens.
Hmm. The GP+CR+CB85 and TEL+BRT proposals are both very interesting. I think I'd take GPL+CR+CB85 personally... that way we get both 3 lanes each way on I-25 north of Denver and an alternative transportation method (rail from Ft Collins and bus from Greeley). Doesn't benefit people on the west side of I-25 south of 470 but north of 36 though. Then again, they could just ride the bus over to the north metro fastracks line.

Old 01-05-2008, 09:16 AM

6 posts, read 27,384 times
Default Beyond Walmart

Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
There is much growth along 120 with shopping and a new Walmart is being built near Sheridan and 120th. There is a Kohl's near this intersection. Across and a little down the street on 120 is Brandburn--a new urban development.
Livecontent
Hi there. I was wondering what types of shopping there might be beyond Walmart and Kohl's in Wesminster. Are there many non-chain shops or is it best to go into one of the cities (Denver/Boulder) for that? We're trying to decide where we might want to move in the Denver area and Westminster if one of the places on our list.

Thanks!

Old 01-05-2008, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1999Laura View Post
Hi there. I was wondering what types of shopping there might be beyond Walmart and Kohl's in Wesminster. Are there many non-chain shops or is it best to go into one of the cities (Denver/Boulder) for that? We're trying to decide where we might want to move in the Denver area and Westminster if one of the places on our list.

Thanks!
westminster is a great middle area, you have a short commute to denver (on non rush hour days) and you have great commute to boulder (on non rush hour days) both areas have the unique shopping you are looking for. Westminster does have some of it, but not on the scale that boulder and denver would offer.

Old 01-05-2008, 04:56 PM

5,091 posts, read 13,174,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1999Laura View Post

Thanks!
If you define "non-chain" as overpriced stores that sell luxury items to the new rich then their are many off of Church Ranch and wherever a high price housing is built.

If you define "non-chain" as the independent markets and stores that sell basic community items then there are areas in Older areas of Westminster, one example would be near 72nd and Federal. Only an older area would have older buildings that can be bought cheap or with less expensive rent to allow these types of stores. For example you will find Asian and Italian Grocery Stores in this area, owned and staffed by the owner and his family, that have more reasonable priced imported and some local made ethnic products that are reasonable--or they could not sell to their market of new immigrants or people like me who need and want value.

If you define chains as bad then you wrong because many of the so-called independent franchise "new rich" stores are a franchise or an expanded unit of a successful independent store----somewhere, someplace in the past.
They are the only ones that can afford the high building cost in new areas. Unfortunately, the price are higher; the original entrepreneur does not run these stores; the quality suffers because it is difficult to copy from place to place (as in food); then it becomes a mass produced item. So what happens--nice local store makes entrepreneur rich; he sells and it becomes less then it was---sometimes. Some stores can still define the originality but become so commonplace that we do not think as them as unique or special.

Now there are other classes of chain stores that cater to the less wealthy or a certain ethnic niche. For example up on Pecos, in Westminster is Avanza Supermarket Welcome to Avanza Supermarket!. It caters to the Mexican ethnic crowd. It has great prices, unique items, authentic Mexican items and most of all it is reasonably priced. It is a chain owned by a very large Grocery Distributor called Nash-Finch. To me this type of chain store is much better then many of the non-chained "new rich" stores owed by the new rich which cater to the new rich.

In addition, on Federal and 72nd. a new Liboria Market is being built. It caters to the new interest and growing ethnic South American population. It is a chain that originate in Los Angeles Liborio. This started as the independent non-chain stores.

If you go to Boulder, you will find many different independent stores--some are nice, some are just over-priced "copies" of authentic ethnic stores. Same issue with Denver. However, Denver has more authentic reasonably priced stores because the new immigrants can afford to live there. That creates a demand for wonderful real stores which are owned by these same people and have good prices. Check out Alameda and Federal for our own Asian Community.

I know some of you will say--"we will do not like these areas"--we only shop where there are new buildings, clean area, no poor people and "safe area". Well, it is your loss. It makes me laugh when the "new rich" complain about the loss of "older times" with real stores--and they avoid the authentic areas today.

I know I am in a good store when I hear and see non-English people; I know I will find good value when I am jostled by little old ladies and men, who dress is different, and whose language is different; I know I will find real ethnic food when the customer is bantering, arguing with the clerk about price and quality; and I know real authentic ethnic food markets by the odors, the smells that mingle and mesh into an olfactory attack.

Do what I do, live cheap, live authentic and then you will
Livecontent

Old 01-05-2008, 05:19 PM

694 posts, read 1,746,540 times
The Pacific Ocean Marketplace on 120th right before main street is a MUST see. Place is HUGE with the most awesome selection of Asian foods I've ever seen, as well as a huge variety of fresh fish, clams, crabs etc....Is so cool.

Old 01-05-2008, 05:39 PM

5,091 posts, read 13,174,497 times
Quote:
The Pacific Ocean Marketplace on 120th right before main street is a MUST see. Place is HUGE with the most awesome selection of Asian foods I've ever seen, as well as a huge variety of fresh fish, clams, crabs etc....Is so cool.
Excellent suggestion. I have not been in this store; I will definetly have to check it out. I have driven by it and it is in an older area along the Southern Side of W120th. near the ARC thrift store.

Livecontent

Old 01-05-2008, 09:08 PM

I have not been in there yet ither, think I may have to at some point in time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado