U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 01:06 AM

1,525 posts, read 3,297,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
shhh, now, now, The Walmart is on the old Barber Turkey Site. Construction should start soon. A new Walmart near me at 72nd. and Sheridan is going to open in about 8-10 weeks.

Livecontent
A new Wal*Mart near 72nd and Sheridan? Really? Where are they going to put it? Back when I lived near 72nd and Wadsworth, I could swear it was all landlocked? Maybe I'm just getting dim of memory?

Westminster Mall is sitting at 72nd and Sheridan, true? The other 3 corners were built out too, I thought?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2008, 01:23 AM

5,091 posts, read 13,184,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMadison View Post
A new Wal*Mart near 72nd and Sheridan? Really? Where are they going to put it? Back when I lived near 72nd and Wadsworth, I could swear it was all landlocked? Maybe I'm just getting dim of memory?

Westminster Mall is sitting at 72nd and Sheridan, true? The other 3 corners were built out too, I thought?
Ah, you are getting to that age when memory fades and you need tools to refresh it. I would suggest Google Earth--that is what I use.

Westminster Mall is at 80th and Sheridan. Walmart is going in on the southwest corner of 72nd. and Sheridan--where the old Shoenberg Shopping Center was located--it is all gone. In addition, the old Shoenberg Farm Dairy, on the Northwest corner, is closed, and housing is being developed around it. The city of Westminster is trying to save the old farm buildings.

72nd. Ave. have been extended through the incompleted area to Kipling--so now it goes all the way out west past Indiana--This was a project of the city of Arvada, to make an east west access road.

Livecontent

Old 01-06-2008, 09:19 AM

85,041 posts, read 98,964,874 times
Not to sound *too* picky, but the stuff on 120th west of about Federal is Broomfield. Kohl's, the Asian market, etc.

Old 01-06-2008, 10:06 AM
tao

720 posts, read 2,918,698 times
We just bought and moved into our new home in Willow Park in Broomfield - the closest intersection is Midway and Sheridan. It feels like we're on the edge of Broomfield and Westminster so we're finding we spend as much time shopping and dining in Westminster as we do in Broomfield. We're still finding our way around and getting to know what's here but so far we're loving it. All the big box stores are here, the Flatiron Crossing mall is close by and so is the Promenade (and all its amenities) in Westminster. Plus Boulder and Denver with all their shopping, dining, and entertainment options are 15-20 minutes away. Broomfield and Westminster are ideal locations for those who want to be smack in the middle between Boulder and Denver. Plus housing prices are a lot more affordable in both towns.

In the end, we paid $331,000 for our 3300 sq. ft. 5 bedroom/3.5 bath (which includes a bedroom and full bath in the basement) home - and this is a home that has a 3 car garage, a formal living room with bay windows, a formal dining room with bay windows, a very bright, large and airy great room (nicely laid out, well appointed kitchen, good sized eat-in dining area and large family room with vaulted ceilings, huge windows and a cozy fireplace), a large master suite with bay windows and vaulted ceilings in the master bedroom and a large 5 piece bathroom with a roman tub, a finished basement (with a large rec room and a beautifully done wet bar/kitchenette in the rec room, a bedroom and ensuite bathroom, and a bonus room that we're going to add to be used as a music studio - though for someone else it could be used as an office or extra guest room or just a storage room), a gorgeous 45 foot long deck with awnings plus a very good sized yard. We're over the moon about this house. We love it! The neighbors are really nice and very friendly too - this is definitely the most friendly neighborhood I've ever lived in.

So even though it's Broomfield, I highly recommend the Willow Park subdivision. The HOA isn't too stringent (which was important to us because our previous home in Florida had a very strict HOA and it was a bit of a nightmare keeping to their over the top standards). Also, not every house looks the same - it's a little cookie cutter by some people's standards, as most subdivisions are, but on my block for example, every house is different yet in harmony with the "look" of the neighborhood. It's not as cookie cutter as the Rock Creek and Sagamore neighborhoods in Superior and other subdivisions we saw while house hunting in Boulder, Superior, Louisville, and Broomfield.

Old 01-23-2008, 07:52 PM

29 posts, read 84,599 times
Default Relocating to Westminster!!

My family is relocating to Westminster Colorado in July 2008 from Seattle.

I have looked at some of the forums and it seems that there is a difference in the North and the South of the city! If anyone could tell me about the difference that would be great! thanks

Old 01-23-2008, 09:16 PM

1,340 posts, read 3,143,373 times
The southern/southeastern, western, central and east-central portions of Westminster are generally the older areas (although not old by standards set by some Denver neighborhoods - generally built in the 50s to early 80s) with small pockets of newer developments. I grew up in the central area of Westminster and most neighborhoods in the area were built around 1960.

The neighborhoods in the western and eastern portions are generally newer, but many were built around the same time-frame. As I stated before, there are pockets of newer (90s to 2005 or so) and new (last two years) scattered here and there.

The northern/northeastern reaches of Westminster have many new developments, most of which are single-home and townhome communities. Some are very "cookie-cutter" (I really don't like that term, but for a lack of a better one) and some are quite beautiful (i.e. Legacy Ridge and vicinity).

There are some farm houses (and corresponding land) still existing in portions of Westminster, most notably in the area around Standley Lake on the western side of the city.

Housing is reasonable in most of Westminster with many established neighborhoods. The further north and the further west you go, expect to pay more.

If you have specific questions about a certain area, feel free to send me a message. I know Westminster well.

I've included a link below that contains an interactive map displaying the boundaries of Westminster. At the top-center of the page, click GIS Maps and have at it.

City Maps - Westminster, Colorado (http://www.ci.westminster.co.us/city/about/maps.htm - broken link)

Old 01-23-2008, 09:21 PM

271 posts, read 1,230,460 times
Westminster north of 92nd Avenue (roughly) tends to be nicer, newer, and pricier. There are plenty of older neighborhoods in all parts south of 120th Avenue. Almost everything north of 120th Avenue is about 10 years or newer.

What are you looking for? Any particular reason you want to live in Westminster?

Old 01-27-2008, 10:06 AM

5 posts, read 15,687 times
Default Uprooting to Colorado

Hey everyone! My husband and I are looking to move to Colorado with our 2 children (ages 4 & 2). Currently we are living in upstate New York and own a 150,000 home and pay extemely high property taxes (3,950 last year), utilities (425.00 in Dec) and enormous water bills as well. We want to better ourselves and my husband thinks that moving to the Denver area would be good for us. He would transfer his job and the pay scale should move up for him quicker. We were considering the Westminster area because of the easy access to Denver and Boulder as well as the mountains for snowboarding! Obvioulsly with kids we would like to know if there are affordable areas with nice homes that aren't so expensive (200,000+ is real expensive for us) with good schools and low crime. We are a sort of punk/hippie family that just wants good things for our family, and we feel like we are drowning here. Basically, we need to know are we crazy to make the move? Thanks for any input!

Old 01-27-2008, 10:24 AM

694 posts, read 1,747,977 times
I live in Westminster and love it. Great location with excellent access to both Boulder and Denver, great views of the mountains here, easy access to lots of shopping/eating out etc.. great schools, great parks, great climate.

There are tons of houses under 200 K here, they will be older but still in nice neighborhoods with good schools. BUT, in some spots, taxes are fairly high so make sure to check that.

Punk/hippies welcome

Old 01-27-2008, 10:26 AM

20,337 posts, read 37,854,657 times
You're not crazy for wanting to better your situation. CO is lovely and has lots to offer, but $200k is low for here. Best advice I have is for you to use realtor.com to check on housing prices/styles in the towns you mention, and use our Search tool with keywords like Westminster or utility to find many good informative threads already in here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado