U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 07:24 PM

12,177 posts, read 21,013,009 times

Advertisements

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE PUEBLO CO

...WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM NOON THURSDAY TO 6 PM MDT
FRIDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN PUEBLO HAS ISSUED A WINTER STORM
WARNING FOR HEAVY SNOW AND BLOWING SNOW...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM NOON
THURSDAY TO 6 PM MDT FRIDAY. THE WINTER STORM WATCH IS NO LONGER
IN EFFECT.

THIS WINTER STORM WATCH INCLUDES THE SANGRE DE CRISTO
MOUNTAINS...FREMONT COUNTY...THE WET MOUNTAIN VALLEY AND THE WET
MOUNTAINS...SOUTHERN EL PASO COUNTY...PUEBLO COUNTY...THE UPPER
HUERFANO RIVER BASIN...AND WESTERN LAS ANIMAS COUNTY. SELECTED
CITIES INCLUDED IN THIS WINTER STORM WATCH ARE CANON
CITY...COLORADO SPRINGS...PUEBLO...PUEBLO WEST...
WALSENBURG...TRINIDAD...AND RYE.

A MAJOR WINTER STORM WILL AFFECT THE EASTERN COLORADO PLAINS AND
EASTERN MOUNTAINS STARTING THURSDAY AFTERNOON AND LASTING INTO
FRIDAY. SIGNIFICANT SNOW WILL BE POSSIBLE OVER THIS REGION FROM
THURSDAY AFTERNOON INTO FRIDAY.

SNOW...HEAVY AT TIMES...IS EXPECTED TO DEVELOP ACROSS THE REGION
THURSDAY AFTERNOON AND CONTINUE INTO FRIDAY. NORTH WINDS OF 15 TO
30 MPH...WITH HIGHER WIND GUSTS...WILL DEVELOP THURSDAY AFTERNOON
AND CONTINUE INTO FRIDAY. IN ADDITION...AREAS OF BLOWING AND
DRIFTING SNOW ARE ANTICIPATED...ESPECIALLY OVER THE PLAINS AND
INTERSTATE 25 CORRIDOR. TRAVEL CONDITIONS MAY BECOME TREACHEROUS
OR IMPOSSIBLE AT TIMES OVER PORTIONS OF THE I-25 CORRIDOR...
ESPECIALLY FROM THURSDAY NIGHT INTO FRIDAY.

TOTAL SNOW ACCUMULATIONS OF 10 TO 20 INCHES ARE POSSIBLE OVER THE
EAST FACING SLOPES OF THE EASTERN MOUNTAINS...AND NEARBY PLAINS.
LOCALLY HEAVIER SNOW AMOUNTS WILL ALSO BE POSSIBLE.

AS TYPICALLY THE CASE WITH THESE TYPE OF STORMS...FAR SOUTHERN EL
PASO COUNTY AS WELL AS NORTHERN PUEBLO COUNTY WILL LIKELY SEE
LESSER SNOW AMOUNTS...MOST LIKELY IN THE 4 TO 8 INCH RANGE.

THIS IS A POTENTIALLY DANGEROUS WINTER STORM. PLEASE STAY TUNED
TO LOCAL MEDIA OR NOAA WEATHER RADIO FOR THE LATEST FORECASTS
AND STATEMENTS.

The link: NWS Pueblo, CO

Anyone want to make any guesses on how much snow your city gets?

I say 6-12 for Pueblo. More in the suburbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2009, 08:03 PM

5,090 posts, read 13,542,042 times
Is this not on the Denver thread....ooh, ooh, ooh, the weather, what am I going to do????

I am sorry, it is so funny, all this concern about weather. Today, everywhere, the newscast, the internet, get it live, get it now, desktop alert, know the weather instantaneously, up to date, radar, 9news, 7news, doopler, weather radio, rss weather feed, cell phone, iphone, national weather alert, weather.com, weather now, yesterday and tomorrow....

Oh, I forgot Television and the Newspapers

My arthritic knee is all I need,
Livecontent

Old 03-25-2009, 08:15 PM

1,209 posts, read 4,254,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
Is this not on the Denver thread....ooh, ooh, ooh, the weather, what am I going to do????

I am sorry, it is so funny, all this concern about weather. Today, everywhere, the newscast, the internet, get it live, get it now, desktop alert, know the weather instantaneously, up to date, radar, 9news, 7news, doopler, weather radio, rss weather feed, cell phone, iphone, national weather alert, weather.com, weather now, yesterday and tomorrow....

Oh, I forgot Television and the Newspapers

My arthritic knee is all I need,
Livecontent
When we lived in San Diego the 'Storm Watch' TV teams would be all over the place looking for any signs of a drizzle.
We are currently watching the WX reports from a PHX hotel. Looks like I'll never get to use the snow blower this year

Old 03-25-2009, 08:15 PM

8,317 posts, read 25,840,928 times
All the transplants and tenderfeet have to have something to fret about, after all. The people who know Colorado climate know that this kind of storm is both common and actually necessary. It is these types of wet spring snowstorms that bring much of the best moisture for the mountain snowpack and and for the soil moisture necessary on the winter-dryness dessicated soils on the Eastern Plains. For all of their inconvenience and potential dangers and damages, spring storms are a critical part of keeping arid Colorado survivable. After the terribly dry winter much of the lower elevations of Colorado have had this winter, the more moisture we can get out of this, the better.

So, buck up little campers. It's Colorado in March. Don't like the weather--then move somewhere else.

Old 03-25-2009, 08:24 PM

I post it not because I don't want the snow but because I am exited about the prospect for a major snow storm in the city of Pueblo. I would love it if Pueblo got 12 to 24 inches of snow with heavy winds but since I live in the "banana belt" I will be happy with 4-8 inches lol

Old 03-25-2009, 08:39 PM

16,521 posts, read 20,964,213 times
Jazzlover is right. These are the storms Colorado really needs. The Denver area has seen very minimal precipitation this season. It looks like one of those "Albuquerque lows" to me.

Where I'm at west of Grand junction will most likely be rain and high winds, like it was Sunday. The wind blew at a steady 40 m.p.h. all day. Sheesh!

Old 03-25-2009, 08:40 PM

If it is a classic "Albuquerque low" then that is the best way for Pueblo to get snow and we could easly get over a foot! I LOVE "Albuquerque lows"!

BTW as a side not I saw it on the Denver thread but I knew someone would get mad at me if I talked about Pueblo so I started my own in the Colorado main room lol

Old 03-25-2009, 08:51 PM

535 posts, read 1,395,047 times
Good, I hope this one is big and I hope theres more coming.

Old 03-25-2009, 08:57 PM

17 posts, read 52,556 times
Default Snow Storm Just In Time

I have been watching the Colorado Rockies snow pack from here on the East Coast ever since we made reservations several months ago to ski at Keystone 5-10 April. I was starting to sweat it out a little bit as it looked like our spring ski trip might be a bust this year.
This snow storm is GREAT news! It's just in time. AND, The extended weather forecast is calling for snow virtually every day at Dillon right up until the day before we get there. Excellent!
[ OK... I know this post sounds a bit self-serving. I don't mean it that way. I truly hope this snow storm does not cause any undue inconvenience to anyone and that no accidents or injuries ensue.]

Old 03-25-2009, 09:05 PM

2,437 posts, read 7,282,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
All the transplants and tenderfeet have to have something to fret about, after all.
I don't think it's the transplant and tenderfeet who are fretting, it's the news media, who claim to be 'Coloradans'. I say bring it on... About time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado