U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 01:14 AM

565 posts, read 1,193,550 times
Default Cabela's? Bass Pro? Denver? Colorado Springs? Front Range?

With the Cabela's project for Denver not planned for action currently - Wheat Ridge Project Information Site , and a Bass Pro Shop and a Gander Mountain Sports store both on the North side of downtown Denver, why should Cabela's consider reopening plans to build on the North side of Denver?

It seems that the South side of Denver, Castle Rock, or Colorado Springs would make more economic sense. Why have a store in a market already saturated with outdoor hunting/fishing/camping mega-stores? Why not locate where you have some advantage to a significant part of the population that would circumvent going to your competitors?

Colorado Springs has a large metro population and probably has a higher percentage of outdoors sportsmen than Denver. Military tend to be hunters, fishers, and campers. Cabela's could garner almost 100% of the Springs business over Bass Pro and Gander Mountain if they located to the South of Denver.

Here is a link to a thread on the Cabela's forum on the subject if you want to add any comments: Denver - Cabela's Talk Forums
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2009, 01:43 AM

2,220 posts, read 3,338,500 times
With the economic train wreck in full bloom, "none of the above" seems the right answer.

98% of the things I might want from Cabelas, I can get via mail order right now. Building a brick-n-mortar shop anywhere near here now would just add to their overhead with little added sales volume. I'd rather be able to order by mail order (sales tax free) than have brick-and-mortar stores in the state.

Old 03-30-2009, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob from down south View Post
With the economic train wreck in full bloom, "none of the above" seems the right answer.

98% of the things I might want from Cabelas, I can get via mail order right now. Building a brick-n-mortar shop anywhere near here now would just add to their overhead with little added sales volume. I'd rather be able to order by mail order (sales tax free) than have brick-and-mortar stores in the state.
...but if they want to open a new store in 2010 or later, where would make sense? Take a look at their current retail store locations here: Cabela's -- Retail Stores

There is a store already in the SW corner of Nebraska. Cheyenne, Wyoming people would have the same distance to drive to either store (North Denver vs. Nebraska).

Now look at Albuquerque, NM - the nearest store is in Glendale, AZ which is 100 miles further than Colorado Springs from Albuquerque. There is a big hole in Cabela's stores from Southern Colorado to all of New Mexico! There is also a big hole in the South-Eastern US. Just having a store to help advertise presense in a region should also help with online sales.

Typically, Cabela's stores are fun places to visit and people will drive to the brick and mortar stores just for a daily outing (similar situation with Bass Pro shops).

Old 03-30-2009, 02:09 AM

P.S.: Sportsman's Warehouse has filed for chapter 11 bankrupsy - probably the only competition Cabela's would have in Colorado Springs. (There are also several Sportsman's Warehouses in Denver making competition in Denver even tougher).

Old 05-06-2009, 02:44 PM

1 posts, read 16,293 times
I have it on good authority that Cabela's is currently in the process of pulling building permits to begin construction later this summer. Can anyone corroborate this?

Old 05-06-2009, 02:47 PM

133 posts, read 428,225 times
They could put one on the far Northside of town or in Monument. It'd go over.

Old 08-23-2010, 09:50 AM

414 posts, read 491,149 times
Default Cabela's in Denver?

Any new info on the delayed building of a Cabela's in Denver?

Old 08-23-2010, 12:53 PM

622 posts, read 1,148,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob from down south View Post

Is it still sales tax free now that the store in Grand Junction is open? I thought the law was if they had a physical presence in a state they have to charge sales tax. I have noticed that a lot of places only charge the state sales tax for catalog orders not the actual tax where you live.

With this discussion I've always wondered why Cabela's likes to be in the small towns. Putting one in Castle Rock makes all of the sense because it draws from both Colorado Springs and Denver. I don't understand a store in Sidney, NE but not in the more populated places.

Old 08-23-2010, 12:55 PM
Status: "Pueblo Canon City CSA 208,000. The 134th largest in the USA!" (set 1 day ago)

10,205 posts, read 11,292,038 times
I am not sure why they like smaller towns but I heard before the recession hit they were going to move to Pueblo but that got put on hold. Not that Pueblo is that small, however, compared to the Denver MSA we are.

Old 08-23-2010, 01:33 PM

17,200 posts, read 23,790,026 times
If I were Cabela's, I'd put a store on the south side of Colorado Springs to serve the entire southern and southeastern parts of the state. If they put one in Denver, they'd be going head to head with Bass Pro and Gander. If they put it in Pueblo, then I'd have to decide whether to go there or to Bass Pro up in the Stapleton area, which I've been to before for certain items.

The map for Bass Pro shows one in Denver and one in Mesa, AZ, and nothing in NM. Nearest Bass Pro in KS is all the way on the Missouri border, in Olathe, KS.

The map for Gander Mountain shows two in the Denver area and not a single store west or south of there. Nearest Gander in KS is in Wichita.

An entire huge territory seems underserved, thus I'd put a Cabela's on the south end of the Springs.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado