U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2007, 06:53 PM
MMI MMI started this thread

2 posts, read 7,597 times

Advertisements

My family and I are considering relocating to Castle Rock and are interested in living in the older part of town in the Gilbert/Lewis street area. One concern is being so close to the train tracks. How much noise is in this area and how is the area as a place to live?

Many thanks for any input...

MMI
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2007, 09:22 PM

111 posts, read 553,975 times
That area has seen a small amount of revitalization. That may actually be giving it too much benefit, though. A handful of home owners have remodeled their homes on the streets you mentioned, but has a long way to go. A couple of years ago I thought this area might really turn into something nice, but it hasn't happened yet.

This last summer, 5th st/86 had a nice bit of masonry and landscaping done and it looks pretty nice and Perry st, a couple blocks west of the streets you mentioned is a pretty nice street thats really adding charm to the downtown area. So there is potential.

If you are planning on buying and fixing up a place and waiting a bit, assuming others do the same, you may have a good plan. As it stands right now, however, Im not all that impressed with that area as far as living there. Not a bad area as far as crime or safety, just nothing special at all. Seems like it should have more charm than it does, but it doesn't.

For some reason, everyone whos interested in CR seems to want suburbia living and end up in the Meadows, Castlewood Ranch/Founders, even Crystal Valley where all the developments are. (Im in Founders)

If you end up here, I'd stay away from the southern end of Gilbert. That area seems to get more and more run down. If Castle Rock has a ghetto, this is it. Still not unsafe, but when I take a short cut thru here, I always think theres gotta be some meth houses around there.

The train track, btw, is right there, so it might be a problem. Its pretty frequent. But I cant really tell you how it effects living there, though.

Old 04-01-2007, 04:29 PM

5,748 posts, read 10,501,488 times
Don't underestimate the noise in downtown Castle Rock. More than 20 northbound coal trains a day go through the town, and they are required to sound their whistles at every grade crossing. There are three grade crossings in less than a mile, making for 45 seconds of whistles at a time. The trains go through at all hours of the day and night.

My husband and I go to church in that area, and every Sunday, the homily comes to a stop as we wait for the noise to subside. I love downtown Castle Rock, and I adore the Craig & Gould area, but the trains would be too much for me. I suggest you spend the day in town and see for yourself if the noise is bothersome. There are several nice restaurants and shops to peruse while you consider your options.

Old 04-01-2007, 11:31 PM
MMI MMI started this thread

2 posts, read 7,597 times
Thanks so much for the info, Dan6200alt and formercalifornian! I think we do need to spend more time in Castle Rock to figure out just where we want to live. We love the town and are pretty sure that we want to end up in that area, but we need to do more research.

Thanks again!
MMI
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado