U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 02:34 AM

9 posts, read 32,079 times

Advertisements

Aside from Denver and Boulder, the only other part of Colorado I've had the pleasure of experiencing was Wolf Creek and Pagosa (came up thru NM). Spent a week there over new years a couple years back and it was stunning. Not sure I'd want to live there but I will definitely be back for that epic Wolf Creek Pass and the Springs.

Looking at a few available rentals online, the property images of homes in and around Nederland really stirred something. Also, as chilaili mentioned, the art community in Lyons appears quite vibrant.

Have fun on your scouting mission mhouse!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2007, 04:04 AM

10,903 posts, read 41,379,798 times
Snow is a reality of Colorado. It will be a major part of every year in all of the mountains, on the plains, on the Front Range, and on the Western Slope.

Coloradan's will claim that they live in an area with a bit less snow, or less impact than other places. It's all relative .... it's still snow, and it will affect your life. In some years, when we're out of the drought cycle, it may have a severe statewide impact for awhile, even in places that don't historically get a lot of it.

Once here and acclimated, it's not that big a deal, overall. But it can be with some storm or climate cycles that may happen. Look at this year's winter impact on the normally drier SE Colorado plains area and how it's devastated the ranching industry down there with stranded livestock.

If you don't want to risk that, then I'd suggest you seek other places that are at lower elevations and not look at Colorado mountains .... which is most of the state.

Wolf Creek Pass region? famous for lots of snow. I've seen the major roads closed for a week or more in an average year due to snowfall.

Durango? lots of snow.

Santa Fe ... and up through into the Northern Mountains into Colorado? Lots of Snow. People from out of the area don't realize that whole area is a high altitude desert, just like the mountain ranges of Colorado.

Old 03-30-2007, 11:00 AM

2,755 posts, read 11,545,790 times
Yeah, don't go to northern NM if you're thinking there's going to be less snow! NM being the main other place I've lived other than Colorado, I can attest that Northern NM climate-wise is very much similar to the Southern CO mountains. You have to get to Albuquerque before you get significantly less snow, and even Abq gets a fair amount in the middle of winter, especially this year.

Old 03-30-2007, 12:23 PM

4,308 posts, read 11,509,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
OMG! I am in the exact same boat as you except I'm single. I too have considered Boulder but after visiting, I found the people's attitude to be unpleasant.
WHY does everyone here hate Boulder? I've lived here for over a year after moving from Minnesota and I've never had a problem with anyone there. Am I just incredibly lucky?

Old 03-30-2007, 12:52 PM

2,755 posts, read 11,545,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilaili View Post
WHY does everyone here hate Boulder? I've lived here for over a year after moving from Minnesota and I've never had a problem with anyone there. Am I just incredibly lucky?
I like Boulder and would recommend it to everyone except for cost. It's one of my favorite places in Colorado.

That being said, I do understand why some people dislike it -- it's because no one wants to be preached at or get a general sense that their neighbors disapprove of their lifestyle.

Old 03-30-2007, 02:13 PM

431 posts, read 2,507,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjcali View Post
My girlfriend and I are relocating to the Colorado area this summer, and I would love some advice about possible areas that would suit what we are looking for.

Coming from LA we would like to avoid any large cities. The move is inspired by a need to be closer to wilderness, yet not entirely isolated either. We are both artists/writers/teachers, and are looking to be a part of a nice, smallish community that has a liberal/conscious quality to it. As for teaching, a college or university, and a progressive/independent high school or grade school would be ideal for her and I respectively. In addition we would like to be involved with children and community arts, such as a center that exists or where there might be receptivity for one to be opened.

These forums have been very insightful. So far the three areas that we are considering (but looking for others) are Manitou Springs, Durango, and Boulder, however all three of them seem to have significant drawbacks.

Manitou Springs appears like the best fit of the three, but I have extreme reservations about living next to COS, since that will be our main hub for occasional urban desires. Considering what I have read on these forums, the overwhelming religious/republican/military presence concerns me.

Boulder is a place I wanted to move to 10 years ago, but now it may be far too big, rich, and liberal/spiritual elitist for our taste.

Durango might be a bit too remote, and similar to Boulder with its big-money population.

We have not ruled out any of these places since we must see/feel for ourselves before coming to any decisions, but what are some other places that could be possibilities? Is there anything like Manitou that is outside of Boulder?

Somewhere quaint, open-minded, near or in the trees, and not too far from some city life/cultural activites.

Sorry for such a long-winded post.

Thank you.
I think Boulder would be a fit for you and your way of thinking.

Old 03-30-2007, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadine View Post
I think Boulder would be a fit for you and your way of thinking.
I think thats possible. We haven't ruled anything out yet, though I know there has been a great deal of development over the past decade since I was last there and we are interested in living somewhere with very little bustle. Thats why I was curious about the outlying areas of Boulder.

As for the people of Boulder, all I have to go on is the short experience I had in the past, as well as what I have heard from others who have lived or visited there. I should just as well let go of any judgments that may have formed from those experiences and conversations, and instead just wait until we are there to get a clearer, present-day sense of it.

Old 03-30-2007, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfox View Post
I like Boulder and would recommend it to everyone except for cost. It's one of my favorite places in Colorado.
That is definitely one of the reasons we are less interested in Boulder.

Old 03-31-2007, 01:12 AM

476 posts, read 2,093,371 times
I like Boulder but then I am a liberal. I dont know how I would feel if I was a conservative there, probably wouldnt like it. Boulder is expensive and really is getting to be a bigger city. It isnt a small city anymore. Durango is like Boulder was in the 70s. I like the smaller community lifestyle Durango has and yet it is open and liberal. The people are friendly and to me Durango is a small Boulder. I also like that Durango is connected to the southwest and you can go into Santa Fe or Albuquerque in a few hours. Durango does get snow but it isnt bad. It melts quickly on the roads and just like this winter it had maybe 4 or 5 inches at most at one time and most of the time it was either sunny or if it did snow was an inch or so and then melt. Nothing bad. I just think though in general if you dont like snow, move to Florida or something and dont move to Colorado. It is the snow that keeps Colorado green. If we didnt have any snow in Colorado then we would look like the Sahara. I love it myself and the four seasons but to each their own.

Old 03-31-2007, 08:35 AM

85,114 posts, read 99,260,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilaili View Post
Perhaps you are just lucky. There haven't been any big-time controversies in Boulder lately, which helps with the political tone. The "outlying areas" around Boulder, rjcali, are pretty suburban in character. And that's coming from someone who lives in one of these outlying areas. There are a lot of intolerant liberals in Boulder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or