Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 09:00 PM

3 posts, read 21,055 times

Advertisements

Good luck to you! My hubby and I just moved here 4 months ago and the cost of living in double of what we were used to. I have 7 years EMS experience, hold a current CCT and PNCCT (Pediatric/Neonatal Critical Care Transport) license, ACLS, PALS, NRP, ITLS, BTLS and instructor's licenses and can't find a "good paying" paramedic job here. I have a job offer with Rural/Metro that I have accepted, however, the starting pay is 14.00/hr and that's only when you are on transports. If you are working the 911 area (98% of the calls), medics make 10.50/hr. I know they told you 22/hr, however, I'd be skeptical. All medics (regardless of experience) are paid the same 10.50/hr for 911 calls. I just interviewed with AMR and they were going to start a new hire academy in 2 weeks, but due to budget issues are no longer starting new hires until the economy picks up. The hospitals around here usually hire EMT-B or EMT-IV due to being able to pay less. I have 3 1/2 years of my BSN completed also, so good luck on finishing your nursing, it will be great to be done! Colorado is a gorgeous place and we are still very happy we moved. We moved for my husband to take a job with AFD as a fireman/paramedic and he loves it! Good luck and if I hear of anyone hiring, I will keep you posted and send you contact info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2009, 03:21 PM

14 posts, read 137,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenlinn2316 View Post
Good luck to you! My hubby and I just moved here 4 months ago and the cost of living in double of what we were used to. I have 7 years EMS experience, hold a current CCT and PNCCT (Pediatric/Neonatal Critical Care Transport) license, ACLS, PALS, NRP, ITLS, BTLS and instructor's licenses and can't find a "good paying" paramedic job here. I have a job offer with Rural/Metro that I have accepted, however, the starting pay is 14.00/hr and that's only when you are on transports. If you are working the 911 area (98% of the calls), medics make 10.50/hr. I know they told you 22/hr, however, I'd be skeptical. All medics (regardless of experience) are paid the same 10.50/hr for 911 calls. I just interviewed with AMR and they were going to start a new hire academy in 2 weeks, but due to budget issues are no longer starting new hires until the economy picks up. The hospitals around here usually hire EMT-B or EMT-IV due to being able to pay less. I have 3 1/2 years of my BSN completed also, so good luck on finishing your nursing, it will be great to be done! Colorado is a gorgeous place and we are still very happy we moved. We moved for my husband to take a job with AFD as a fireman/paramedic and he loves it! Good luck and if I hear of anyone hiring, I will keep you posted and send you contact info.
10.50/hr to 14/hr, that's insane. They are insane. I won't go for that amount. Down here in the sewer of the country (New Orleans), I make 18-20/hr. Cheap as hell to live in MO and TN and they pay 14 - 16/hr. Why does anyone work for them? Cab drivers make that down here.

Sighhh, guess I'll stay here. My phone interview is Tuesday with them. I'll let you know what the "official" offer is. EMS is rediculous.

Old 04-18-2009, 09:58 PM

I know, the money in EMS is horrible here. I have friends who work at stores in the mall and make just as much. It's crazy because the EMS systems are busy here and therefore, we should be paid even more! Good luck on your phone interview! I'm interested to see how much they will "promise". I talked to a friend who used just resigned from a position there and he told me the same thing, he made less than 11/hr there. However, TN is gorgeous also and medics make a lot more there! If my hubby hadn't gotten the job here, I would have preferred TN over CO.

Old 04-19-2009, 09:55 PM

1,938 posts, read 7,125,173 times
Thats pretty much what I hear is the going rate too. What a shame huh? If you can get into the Dod system as a fire fighter medic, you can make good money. DH is a civilian fire fighter at USAFA and makes about 65K annually. Great health benefits too. Its a thought...

Old 04-20-2009, 06:55 AM

No idea how to get in on a fire/medic job. I don't find any openings in CO on search engines. Advice? I've been a volunteer firefighter before and the only formal training has been in airport fire-fighting years and years ago.

Old 04-20-2009, 04:40 PM

https://www.talentbankpreview.com/ta...PreviewId=4698

Denver Health - (Min, Mid, Max) $18.93, $23.19, $27.45
Pay Grade: N57
Posting Start Date: 03/17/2009
Posting End Date: Ongoing

So how is RuralMetro offering 14/hr for a paramedic?

Old 04-23-2009, 06:18 PM

Denver Health pays more, but they are HORRIBLE to their employees!! A big word of caution, they are snakes. A friend of ours was injured there, then fired and DH refused to pay work comp even though there were witnesses to this person getting injured. After that happened, we found out that it was pretty common for them to do that. Not worth the risk if you ask me! How was your phone interview in Rural/Metro?

Old 05-12-2009, 03:36 AM

1 posts, read 6,691 times
Hey, i was just surfing around and decided to add my input. I have been a road medic for 6 years and worked fire/rescue for 2. I took a major pay cut going from a private service in fl to the fire dept. But the retirment was better. Then i was browsing around and found one of the best paying jobs ive seen for a medic. My current job is as a paramedic in the federal prison. They started me out at 65k a year, i have great retirment and benefits. The prisons are going to paramedics over nurses because they can pay us a little less yet we can do a little more. With the bop there is so much room for advancement in the system. Its a pretty easy job as well. And there is some trauma there too!! My 2nd week working in the pennitentary i flew out 14 trauma alerts due to stab wounds from a large fight. (more than i ever flew out at one time working on the street!!) its a fairly laid back job as well and 99% of the co-workers are extremely nice. The only draw back it.... They wont hire you if you are ovver 37 years old. And they send you to the federal law enforcment training academy in glynco ga for 3 weeks, but that was a blast!! You become a federal officer with federal law enforcement retirement. 20 years and you are d-o-n-e!! I wish you all luck.... Check it out [url=http://www.usajobs.gov]USAJOBS - The Federal Government's Official Jobs Site[/url]

Old 06-10-2010, 01:38 PM

1 posts, read 5,290 times
Hi I have been a paramedic for 4 years and plan to move to Colorado at the end of the summer. Ill be coming from NH. I plan to apply to Denver Paramedics. Does anyone know what its like to work there.

Old 11-18-2010, 12:24 PM

1 posts, read 4,702 times
Just wondering if doctor9971 ever moved to CO and found a job?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado