U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2007, 02:03 PM
AJY

52 posts, read 215,322 times

Advertisements

gpraceman,

We are moving from Coeur d'Alene Idaho (Northern) but are from Northern CA.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2007, 11:35 AM

2 posts, read 10,449 times
The big thing here is Trout Fishing. Sucks if you ask me...Im from Tx where our Bass eat trout like trout eat shads!! Seriously I can't get into a lil 6 inch trout bieng a BIG DEAL like a 20 inch gig mouth bass breaking your rod!!!

Old 02-04-2007, 03:02 PM

92 posts, read 360,852 times
Default Shore Fishing around Vallecito Lake?

I was wondering if there is ample fishing from the shoreline around Vallecito Lake or is it essential to have a boat to fish that lake? I haven't been there yet, will go there in July so my only exposure to this area is from the internet. Also, are there other nearby areas form Durango to fish easily from shore?

Old 02-05-2007, 01:39 AM

476 posts, read 2,088,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanttoretire View Post
I was wondering if there is ample fishing from the shoreline around Vallecito Lake or is it essential to have a boat to fish that lake? I haven't been there yet, will go there in July so my only exposure to this area is from the internet. Also, are there other nearby areas form Durango to fish easily from shore?
Hi. I know of some great lakes in the area and will try to help you. First, Vallecito has great fishing from the shore. There are many areas to do this. Lemon Lake is right close to there and has great onshore fishing. Both are big enough for boats too, Vallecito being larger. There is Electra Lake out near Hermosa that has great fishing and you dont need a license there. You pay a small fee as you go in and that is it. Pastorius is a real small lake out toward the airport. Onshore fishing is great there especially by the spillway. McPhee out by Cortez is good. Pretty large lake. Jackson Lake out my Mancos is another good onshore lake. Dont know about fish there though. Williams Creek out by Pagosa is a beautiful small lake. Then there is large warmer lake Navajo on the border. It generally needs a boat but I see fishermen on the shores too. The area has many different kinds of fish depending on the area - some are different trout, different bass, pike, catfish, crappie, etc. San Juan River, Animas, Piedra rivers are great fly fishing. Turkey Creek, Turkey Creek Lake, Buckles Lake, Harris Lake, Echo Lake, Opal Lake, Shaw Lake, Molas Lake, Big Meadow Reservior, Fourmile creek and Fourmile Lake, Goat Canyon, Chapman Lake, Short, Sullivan, Lambert, Herrera, Groundhog, Platoro Reservoirs and Haviland Lake (which is very pretty) among others. Ive been to quite a few of them but not all. There are a lot of them. You might google these lakes for more info. My favorite lakes are Williams Creek, Haviland, Electra, Lemon and Vallecito Lake and San Juan, Animas and Piedra Rivers for fly fishing. Navajo for boating and fun. Many creeks and streams, too many to list. The area from Pagosa to Durango to Cortez has many good lakes and Ive given you some so I hope this helps.

Old 02-06-2007, 06:27 PM

92 posts, read 360,852 times
Default Thank You So Much

You have been wonderful and a wealth of information and I do thank you. This will really help us and I know when we go to Durango for our vacation in July this information will really make our trip as fishing is much on the agenda.

We were concerned that any lakes might not have much fishing from the shore and that you would need a boat. I'm glad that is not a necessity to enjoy the fishing and area.

We are also looking at Durango or surrounding areas for retirement as one of our choices to check out. Fishing in retirement is of paramount importance and it sounds as though so far Durango has a lot to offer.

Old 02-08-2007, 12:28 AM

Glad to help. Have a great summer when you visit!

Old 02-08-2007, 04:44 PM

50 posts, read 266,839 times
Default You're killing me...

I_LUVNM,

You're killing me! I stumbled across this thread and reading your post just brought back a flood of memories and feelings.

I grew up in the Aztec area, lived there for 18 years, and my youth was spent exploring most of those places you mentioned. I spent many years camping at Haviland/4Bay, Vallecito, and skiing at Purg. My fondest childhood memories are of the times my family went camping and fishing throughout that whole region. We moved away in the late 80's and I don't get the opportunity to go back that much anymore.

I'm in TX now and have tried camping here a couple times. There is nothing more miserable than a campfire at 9:00pm with the temps in the high 90's.

I really miss CO.

Old 02-09-2007, 01:06 AM

Bobparr, my parents live in the San Antonio area so I know what you mean about heat! It is hard to be roasting marshmallows in Texas when sweat is coming down your face! Lot of memories for me too in the Durango area. A special place.

Old 02-09-2007, 09:16 AM

50 posts, read 266,839 times
Yeah, we didn't even try to build a campfire. When we went fishing it was just as likely that we would catch a water moccassin as a fish. Yikes.

I'm working my way back to CO. We'll go to Denver area because of more job opportunities but my wife and I have set a two year goal to make the move. Can't wait.

Old 02-10-2007, 03:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobparr View Post
Yeah, we didn't even try to build a campfire. When we went fishing it was just as likely that we would catch a water moccassin as a fish. Yikes.

I'm working my way back to CO. We'll go to Denver area because of more job opportunities but my wife and I have set a two year goal to make the move. Can't wait.
Denver area has some great things to do. I wish you the best of luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado