U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2007, 06:59 PM

11 posts, read 54,364 times

Advertisements

I live in Pagosa Springs and have been to Vallecito fishing, and yes, there is many places to stop and throw your line in, and it is very beautiful there, although, since they had the fire a couple years ago, some of the mountains around the lake are burned, but don't let that stop you from having a great lake to fish in. Navajo is not far away, and they also have great fishing on the river, above the Navajo Lake Dam, but if you prefer Lake fishing then you have 35 miles of Lake to fish in.....more of a deserty atmosphere in that area, but be prepared to have your new mexico license.

Vikki
Coloradorainbows
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2007, 08:33 PM

92 posts, read 360,987 times
Default What's Pagosa Springs Like

Thanks for the information. What is it like to live in Pagosa Springs? That's not very far from Durango. How is the weather and roads there in the winter months? Whatever information you would like to share about your area would be greatly appreciated.

Old 03-15-2007, 09:52 AM

23 posts, read 99,010 times
Default How's Fishing in Colorado ??

My Husband loves to Bass fish. Here in central Florida the Bass fishing is great. It's suppose to be the Bass Capital. Don't know if that is true or not. I was wondering if anyone fishes for Bass in Colorado. If not, what type of fish do most people look to catch. Are the lakes shallow or deep ? He's originally fromTennessee where they have mostly small mouth Bass. Large mouth here in Florida. So anyone who knows about the world of fishing, PLEASE give me some info. Would sure appreciate it. Fishing is his "World", ha,ha

Old 03-15-2007, 08:29 PM

431 posts, read 2,500,954 times
Bass are a warm water fish and yes there are some bass. But the most fishing we do is cold water fish. trout, and other cold water fish. Deep water in reservoirs,manmade lakes and natural lakes can be either in the craters high. Plains is more where the warm water fish are found. My hubby loves fly fishing and I like to creek fish. I am a lousy fisherman but love to stick a telescoping pole into my saddlebag when riding the trails and camping. Stop off at those clear clean holes and fish for dinner that night cooked over the campfire. Not stocked fish but hard pink meated fish from cold water. Can't be beat.

Old 03-15-2007, 10:18 PM

476 posts, read 2,088,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by val350z View Post
My Husband loves to Bass fish. Here in central Florida the Bass fishing is great. It's suppose to be the Bass Capital. Don't know if that is true or not. I was wondering if anyone fishes for Bass in Colorado. If not, what type of fish do most people look to catch. Are the lakes shallow or deep ? He's originally fromTennessee where they have mostly small mouth Bass. Large mouth here in Florida. So anyone who knows about the world of fishing, PLEASE give me some info. Would sure appreciate it. Fishing is his "World", ha,ha
Around Durango, Colorado the lakes have bass fish, both largemouth and smallmouth along with alot of other fish like crappie, pike, walleye, catfish and trout among others. There are many lakes around Durango. Some are Vallecito, Lemon Lake, Navajo Lake, among alot of others. There is a thread about Vallecito and I list alot of others in the area on that. There are alot of creeks and rivers too in the Durango area for fly fishing as well. Happy Fishing!

Old 03-16-2007, 04:08 PM

1,312 posts, read 6,743,154 times
I used to work with a guy that would go to bass fishing competitions...he's lived in CO all his life so I would imagine that they are pretty abundant around here.

Outside of that, lots of cold water fish as mentioned and a lot of fly fishing. Both my dad and my grandfather (my grandfather died in 1983) fish(ed) a lot. My dad prefers to fish over golfing any day. He has a few friends that he goes fishing with quite often.

I spent a lot of my growing up years fishing. I am not a big fan of it as I haven't been out fishing since I was in my early teens. I should go with my dad this summer...thanks for the post. I will see if he wants to take me fishing sometime. He's getting up there in years so it would be nice to do something with him that he likes to do.

Yay for message board posts to plant something in my brain.

Old 03-16-2007, 05:03 PM

7,048 posts, read 15,993,986 times
For the last two summers, we (wife/I) have fished on Chatfield Lake (Reservoir) and last year (for the first time) at Horsetooth Lake (Reservior) in Fort Collins.
Had no luck whatsoever on Chatfield until the middle of July and then caught some very nice Rainbows (15"-17") in the No Wake area using Canadian Earthworms bought at Wal Mart. There is no limit on Rainbows and last year, on one weekend in later July (fished from 9-11AM on both Saturday & Sunday) we caught 9 nice ones.....4 on the Saturday/5 on the Sunday. On Chatfield, we were fishing in about 40 feet of water. Now, there are some folks that don't like Chatfield Lake at all, and that is ok, but we have a great time on it.
At Horsetooth, had no luck at all on the 4th of July weekend last year. That reservior is fairly deep......sonar registered up to 160 feet and there were a ton of fish showing on it also, but couldn't get one bite. Nothing......Zero!!
From what we hear, most people here fish for both bass and walleye.
A great website to visit and read about fishing here in Colorado and read (Forum type) about how fisherman are doing here is, Coloradofisherman.com and go into the Forum.

Old 03-16-2007, 05:46 PM

13,644 posts, read 21,499,229 times
We have a hybrid called a wiper. It has to be stocked, I believe, as it is a cross between a White bass and a striper.

Pueblo Reservoir and the holder reservoirs near Eads are abundant with them. When you hit a 4 pounder or bigger, you are in for a battle. Some guy caught a 21 pounder out here in Pueblo Reservoir a couple of years ago. Crappie is good and good eating. Saugeye and Walleye is good as well. If you can go trolling, the trout and kokanne salmon is good too. The Kokanne salmon is abundant out at Blue Mesa from what I'd heard.

Fly fishing is something I want to get into. They are in a league of their own out here. It's often catch and release for them folks.

My brothers live in Bradenton and fishing is a whole different experience out there. Snook and Grouper is big out there. We went on a charter boat around Thanksgiving a couple years back. It was nice to have 75 degree weather in November for a change.

Old 03-16-2007, 06:01 PM

20,308 posts, read 37,804,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
We have a hybrid called a wiper. It has to be stocked, I believe, as it is a cross between a White bass and a striper. My brothers live in Bradenton and fishing is a whole different experience out there. Snook and Grouper is big out there. We went on a charter boat around Thanksgiving a couple years back. It was nice to have 75 degree weather in November for a change.
That' wiper' sounds like what we call a White Perch back in the Chesapeake region, where they could be both a salt or fresh water fish. The striped bass back there were the best, we called them rockfish, nothing like a fresh one in the pan. The rockfish sold here by the supermarket are nothing like the rockfish back east.

I know what you mean about being in FL in November. We were at Marathon, FL over Thanksgiving (1988?). Went charter boat fishing and I was not the least beat chilly in a speedo swimsuit (I was THIN then). What a great time. Stayed at the same resort (Hawk's Cay) on Duck Key(?) where Ted Williams hung out for so many winters for fishing, and the food was awesome there.

s/Mike

Old 03-16-2007, 06:36 PM

23 posts, read 99,010 times
Thumbs up Great info

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
For the last two summers, we (wife/I) have fished on Chatfield Lake (Reservoir) and last year (for the first time) at Horsetooth Lake (Reservior) in Fort Collins.
Had no luck whatsoever on Chatfield until the middle of July and then caught some very nice Rainbows (15"-17") in the No Wake area using Canadian Earthworms bought at Wal Mart. There is no limit on Rainbows and last year, on one weekend in later July (fished from 9-11AM on both Saturday & Sunday) we caught 9 nice ones.....4 on the Saturday/5 on the Sunday. On Chatfield, we were fishing in about 40 feet of water. Now, there are some folks that don't like Chatfield Lake at all, and that is ok, but we have a great time on it.
At Horsetooth, had no luck at all on the 4th of July weekend last year. That reservior is fairly deep......sonar registered up to 160 feet and there were a ton of fish showing on it also, but couldn't get one bite. Nothing......Zero!!
From what we hear, most people here fish for both bass and walleye.
A great website to visit and read about fishing here in Colorado and read (Forum type) about how fisherman are doing here is, Coloradofisherman.com and go into the Forum.
Thanks so much for the informative info and that web site. I will definitely check it out. Sure appreciate everybody's input.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado