U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2007, 06:41 PM

23 posts, read 98,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by COflower View Post
I used to work with a guy that would go to bass fishing competitions...he's lived in CO all his life so I would imagine that they are pretty abundant around here.

Outside of that, lots of cold water fish as mentioned and a lot of fly fishing. Both my dad and my grandfather (my grandfather died in 1983) fish(ed) a lot. My dad prefers to fish over golfing any day. He has a few friends that he goes fishing with quite often.

I spent a lot of my growing up years fishing. I am not a big fan of it as I haven't been out fishing since I was in my early teens. I should go with my dad this summer...thanks for the post. I will see if he wants to take me fishing sometime. He's getting up there in years so it would be nice to do something with him that he likes to do.

Yay for message board posts to plant something in my brain.
Yes, I sure know what you mean. I lost my dad in 1998. He was 73. Sure do miss him. I'll bet your dad will be tickled about going fishing with you. It's great quality time. Have fun !! P.S. Catch a big one
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2007, 10:33 AM

2 posts, read 5,156 times
Default Fishing

Going to be moving to the Centennial area the end of April from Florida. Love to fish. Would like some info on the fishing in the area. I noticed too that there is a place called Green Mountain Reservoir about an hour and a half drive (to the west?) that has salmon fishing available. Any info on fishing anywhere in the area (up to about 2 hours or so away from Centennial) would surely be appreciated.
PS- I do have a small boat, so info on places to put in at would be great. I also love to just walk and fish so even if it is info on fishing from the bank of a lake or river is fine too.

Old 03-31-2007, 11:44 AM

649 posts, read 2,648,760 times
Do you fly fish? There are some great areas to fly fish that are in Eleven Mile Canyon. Plus great hiking in there too! bashep

Old 04-01-2007, 09:57 AM

2 posts, read 5,156 times
Default Fly Fishing

No I don't fly fish, but have been wanting an excuse to take it up. Use spinning tackle for most everything I do. I will be sure to check out the place you mention though. Love to camp as well and from what I have seen so far, there appears to be a lot of areas for both fishing and camping. Just thought I would post on here and maybe get some replies as to some personal favorite spots to check out.
Do you know anything about Green Mountain reservoir or Dillon reservoir? I have checked out a few sites on the internet that mention these areas and would like some replies about personal experiences fishing there.
What type of fishing is at Eleven Mile Canyon. Any hints as to the favortie fish catcher?
Thanks for your reply I really appreciate it. I am looking forward to some great fishing once I get there.

Old 05-17-2007, 09:27 AM

1,511 posts, read 7,084,654 times
Question Good Fishing creeks, ponds, and lakes in or near Colorado cities

What are some good fishing creeks, ponds, and lakes in or near Colorado's cities?

Old 05-17-2007, 09:49 AM

8,317 posts, read 25,091,437 times
I would suggest that you go to one of the on-line bookstores and buy yourself one of the umpteen guides available on Colorado fishing. There is a lot of great fishing all over Colorado, both in streams and in the more limited number of lakes and reservoirs. Fishing pressure (and the likelihood of having share your "spot" with someone else) is directly proportional to the nearness to population centers and ease of access. If it's close to a city and you can drive to it, you're going to be sharing it. If it's farther from the cities and resorts, and you have to "hoof it" a ways to get there, you just might have a great spot all to yourself. Also, if you're fishing during the week, there are usually less people.

Unfortunately, Colorado has been fighting a serious problem with "whirling disease" in its trout populations for a number of years that has decimated some trout populations--especially the native cutthroat trout populations. I think that is improving a little, but fishing is not what it used to be in years past.

I'll also put in a plug for my adopted state of Wyoming. There is great fishing here--usually without the crowding and pressure found in so many Colorado locales. That's why so many "greenies" (Wyomingites' euphemistic term for Coloradans because of the color of the Colorado license plate) come to Wyoming to fish, much to the chagrin of some Wyoming natives.

Old 05-18-2007, 02:49 AM

476 posts, read 2,088,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwarky View Post
What are some good fishing creeks, ponds, and lakes in or near Colorado's cities?
Southwest Colorado has alot of different types of fishing. From fly fishing to boat fishing. There are bass, small and large mouth, pike, catfish, different trouts and alot more. Here are some links for more info.

http://www.durango.org/Activities/SummerFall/fishing.asp (broken link)
http://www.creativelinks.com/recreat/page1.htm (broken link)
http://www.godurango.com/visitor/activities/huntfish.asp (broken link)

Old 05-18-2007, 04:46 PM

3 posts, read 10,686 times
check out the mountain communities just west of Denver. Lake Dillon's pretty good in Dillon.

Old 05-19-2007, 07:32 AM

15 posts, read 95,362 times
Because I have experience there I can suggest the Rio Grande between South Fork, CO and Creede, CO. It is a gold medal rated section. But there are many many other good choices. The Blue River near Dillon, CO is another good choice. For great lake fishing my brother recommends the Grand Mesa area near Hotchkiss, CO.

Old 06-12-2007, 02:39 PM

1 posts, read 3,001 times
Default fishing

Having fished several rivers, lakes and ponds around Colorado I would have to say that the Arkansas river has been the best fishing. Try the Buena Vista area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado