U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2007, 04:18 PM

5,748 posts, read 10,509,074 times

Advertisements

Oceanaddict

You have lots of good options. I suggest you visit each place you're considering. Are any of those locations close to family? That was the deciding factor for us.

I do miss California very much. It really was a great place to live, but as I enumerated above, it could no longer meet our family's needs.

You certainly have my good wishes and prayers. Making the decision is always the hardest part.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2007, 09:30 PM

20 posts, read 83,975 times
Because Colorado is better living than California unless you're a millionaire.

Old 04-04-2007, 09:36 PM

32 posts, read 166,180 times
California... well this is something to ponder. I am thinking about a move to Colorado for the fall colors you get there, but now that you mention California and I have done some research on the areas... Hmmmmm... I think I really like that idea to.

I will talk that over with my family tonight and see what we want to consider heavier at this point.
California is a VERY pretty area and I have to say all though it is pricy I think that if you make a decent wage and are able to be responsible with the money you take in, then why not..

Old 04-04-2007, 10:38 PM

476 posts, read 2,089,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfrpilot View Post
I have posted our reasons for leaving SoCal on other threads. We might've stayed and put up with all the crap, if our youngest daughter wasn't about to start school. We love Monument, but that doesn't mean we don't like anywhere else. Heck, we might even move back if the opportunity comes up(I doubt it). There are many great reasons to live in CA, or a lot of other places too. The question was why anyone would want to move out of CA. The city of LA is a tiny spot in CA and like I said, CA is huge. Some one living in a different area of CA might question your reasoning in condemning CA because of your experences in LA. Our experience was no way close to what you described. Admittedly, we never lived in downtown LA and don't know anyone who did. My brother and nephew go there everyday for work and have somehow managed to survive the gauntlet you described. We did go to downtown San Diego and never had any problems, even late nights after Padre games. My daughters have gone to games for years with no problem.
I'm sorry if you think I'm questioning your experience, but ours was not close to yours in 35 years of living in CA. Guess we were just lucky.
What city did you live in and how long?
Obviously you didnt read my post very well. I never lived in Ca. My sister did and she lived in the Santa Clarita Valley - Canyon Country area. I also never said anything about crime happening to me like you describe. I just said I saw alot of transients and junkies in LA and yes I had them come up to me asking for money when I went to the restaurants, went to the grocery stores, etc. and they would come up to me at the red lights and try to wash my windshield. We had a creepy guy in a van who kept driving by us and turning around several times when we were jogging and that scared us because he kept looking at us. I never said about any the crime happening to us. You really blew it out of context. Also I wouldnt be afraid of running in a huge marathon either with lots of runners, I was talking about a woman jogging alone or with two girls jogging is not a smart idea in LA these days.
Yes there are alot of murders in LA. I heard about them when I was there and I visited, extended visits, several times and my sister would tell me about them too. There are gang bangers all over LA and yes it scares me to be out on a sidewalk that you might be shot by them by crossfire or on purpose. I didnt exaggerate anything. Just telling my experience, but that is why so many Coloradoans dont like Californians, like your judgemental attitude that only you are right and everybody else is wrong. I try to have an open mind. I dont go around calling people liars like you suggest when you dont agree with them. I am sure San Diego is much safer, I dont know, I dont know San Diego. It sounds like you lived in a secure bubble aka Mr "vrs pilot", pilots make lots of money so you probably lived in a nice area and that is fine but dont tell me that all of LA is a safe area. You are going to get some poor soul thinking LA is safe and living or being in the wrong place in LA can get you killed.

Old 04-04-2007, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_LUVNM View Post
Obviously you didnt read my post very well. I never lived in Ca. My sister did and she lived in the Santa Clarita Valley - Canyon Country area. I also never said anything about crime happening to me like you describe. I just said I saw alot of transients and junkies in LA and yes I had them come up to me asking for money when I went to the restaurants, went to the grocery stores, etc. and they would come up to me at the red lights and try to wash my windshield. We had a creepy guy in a van who kept driving by us and turning around several times when we were jogging and that scared us because he kept looking at us. I never said about any the crime happening to us. You really blew it out of context. Also I wouldnt be afraid of running in a huge marathon either with lots of runners, I was talking about a woman jogging alone or with two girls jogging is not a smart idea in LA these days.
Yes there are alot of murders in LA. I heard about them when I was there and I visited, extended visits, several times and my sister would tell me about them too. There are gang bangers all over LA and yes it scares me to be out on a sidewalk that you might be shot by them by crossfire or on purpose. I didnt exaggerate anything. Just telling my experience, but that is why so many Coloradoans dont like Californians, like your judgemental attitude that only you are right and everybody else is wrong. I try to have an open mind. I dont go around calling people liars like you suggest when you dont agree with them. I am sure San Diego is much safer, I dont know, I dont know San Diego. It sounds like you lived in a secure bubble aka Mr "vrs pilot", pilots make lots of money so you probably lived in a nice area and that is fine but dont tell me that all of LA is a safe area. You are going to get some poor soul thinking LA is safe and living or being in the wrong place in LA can get you killed.
I think vfrpilot's point was that California is a huge state with a tremendous variety of lifestyles. I believe it's presumptuous to characterize the entire state and its residents based on your perceptions of Los Angeles.

Old 04-04-2007, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
I think vfrpilot's point was that California is a huge state with a tremendous variety of lifestyles. I believe it's presumptuous to characterize the entire state and its residents based on your perceptions of Los Angeles.
No, it wasnt that at all. It was him insinuating everyone on here saying anything bad about California are liars. That is what I am stating. He makes out that LA is some safe area and it isnt. I dont know about the rest of CA, I know it is incredibly expensive.

Old 04-04-2007, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_LUVNM View Post
No, it wasnt that at all. It was him insinuating everyone on here saying anything bad about California are liars. That is what I am stating. He makes out that LA is some safe area and it isnt. I dont know about the rest of CA, I know it is incredibly expensive.
Perhaps I missed something in your exchange, because I didn't get the same impression that you did. Sorry.

Old 04-04-2007, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
Perhaps I missed something in your exchange, because I didn't get the same impression that you did. Sorry.
Quote:
by vrspilot. geez people. I lived in SoCal for 35 years, 20 in Whittier(east LA) and 15 in San Marcos(San Diego County), and I haven't experienced anything near what the previous posters have described...I have never had my windshield washed by a homeless person or had a police chase zoom by, other than a cop pulling over a speeder(had that happen here, too).... I used to cycle along the beach and did alot of miles in the hills and never came across one of those 'often dumped bodies.
He clearly makes a point that somehow we are all wrong. How can you go 20 years and never see a police chase in LA? I was there, next to the last time I saw my sister before she moved, a car was going 100 or so and zipped passed me on the 405 and several police cars in pursuit and I was just there for a week? Hmmm. So I guess since he is questioning me, I am questioning him.

Old 04-05-2007, 07:51 AM

1,207 posts, read 4,140,086 times
I_LUVNM
I am sorry for insuiating that you were lying. I felt like some things were being slightly exagerated. But I was honest in my description of our life in CA. How can you say I am not telling the truth? I left CA because of the problems of an area that has too many people. I think I stated those issues before.

Quote:
She was scared of rapists, weird transients who would just be about everywhere including the bushes and had trouble with trash being dumped around her place. Men looking for and having sex out in the streets

If I was to read your post alone, I would come to the conclusion that LA is an incredibly dangerous place to survive. It may be nasty and crowded, but I have never known personally anyone who was abducted, murdered, or raped. I know it can happen and does, but those things are not the normal occurance. Would you fear for life in CO because of the high school killings?
You are wrong about assuming that pilots make a lot of money. I am a recreational pilot, not commercial. Most pilots are scrounging, working as instructors or flying parcels. I am an aircraft mechanic and don't make lots of money. Most folks in CA don't make huge bucks. We lived in a nice blue-collar neighborhood where most of the houses(1969) on our block were occupied by the original owners. Our 3 older kids grew up during the 90's playing in the front yards and sidewalks. We watched out for each other. No different than we do here in CO.
I don't want to give anyone a rosy picture of CA, just the truth of our experiences, and it was waaay different from your perception. I've stated before that the negatives out weighed the postives for US.
BTW> It was a sarcastic question of how long you lived there. You visited and I just lived there for 35 years and still have kids and relatives living there, so what would I know?

Old 04-05-2007, 03:00 PM

106 posts, read 391,434 times
WOW... Seems I am in good company. I was born in So. Cal (Inglewood to be exact), lived most of my life in either So. Cal or Nor Cal, so I have been all over the state. From Brawley to Red Bluff, and just about every where in between.

I was a Marine at Camp Pendleton, I did security work for the Motion Picture industry, I had friends in bands in Hollywood, I was offered a position with LASD, I worked for Ca Dept of Corrections, at Naval yard in Concord, spent summers on our house boat just out side of Fresno, got married in Lake Tahoe. I have experienced California from one side to the other. So I can say... I know California.

I LOVE the state. But I HATE the people. There is almost no good left in that state. I'm sure everyone has heard the 90/10 rules. Well these rules apply to Ca. 90% of everything sucks, and 10% is awesome. Didn't used to be that way. Actually it used to be reversed. Now the crime rate sucks, the traffic sucks, the politicians suck, the illegal immigration sucks, the traffic sucks (yes I repeated that), the price of houses suck, the price of gas sucks, the school systems suck, the pay scale sucks.

I moved out of the state, make more money, have a better house than I could ever afford in Ca (and my wife and I make well above the 6 figure mark), my kids go to better schools, the crime rate is... well almost not there (of course there is crime EVERY WHERE). Let me tell you I was reluctant to move to Colorado. Now... I LOVE it here.

Price of my house in a newer growing area (old town, but new growth) $285K, just under 3K sq ft with basement & 3 car garage and a park right behind my house. My Grandmother sold her house in La Mirada just over a year ago. 1300 sq ft 3 bedroom, 2 bath, small "2 car" garage, about the same size yard I have, house built in the 1950's well maintained in a sold middle class no cars on lawn neighborhood. $500k!!

Lived in Sacramento before moving out to Colorado. Distance to work - 14 miles. Driving time: AM 45 - 60 min's, PM 60 min's - 90 min's. Now Distance to work - 12 miles. Driving time: 20 - 25 mins, including when there is all but the worst weather. Wife - Distance 25 miles, driving time: 25 - 30 min's.

Gas prices are lower, gas millage is higher. Taxes are lower (on average), pay is higher.

Only down side is California had better fresher seafood and veggies. But I've just learned to be more seasonal with my veggies, and find out which seafood freezes best.

True story - I was visiting my Grandfather in So Cal when his health started to get bad so he could see his great grandkids one last time before he died. We went out to dinner with the family. While in the parking lot 3 cars had a "show down". Apparently an older man in one car was trying to go the "wrong way" and his son in the other car was just trying to help him get out of the parking lot. This other guy, in his 50's, parked in front of them because they were going the wrong way and wouldn't move. As we're walking out he then leans out the window and starts cussing at the other cars. I politely asked him to choose better words because I was there with my kids. He looked at me, gave me the finger and said "F**k you". Of course, I didn't like that and turned to deal with him in a little more firm manner (no not to kick his a$$) to which he repeated what he said, rolled up his window and peeled out almost hitting me with his car.

Isolated incident? Not likely. I've personally experienced too many things like that. So the reason to leave Ca? Simple. To move to an area where there are actual humans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or