U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 04-02-2007, 01:25 PM

91 posts, read 245,694 times
Default From California To Colorado. Why???

Could you tell me why so many Californians leave such beauty and the ocean to boot just to live in Colorado?

I think Colorado is pretty to... but hey... the ocean, mountians, vineyards...

My question is WHY would you leave all of that to live in Colorado?

Thanks for the awnsers in advance as I am looking forward to hearing the responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 04-02-2007, 01:38 PM

13,276 posts, read 27,752,687 times
I think some people end up feeling priced out of California.
The ocean and mediterranean climate of California simply isn't worth it to these folks; they are hoping for a lower cost of living in Colorado.
PS There are a *few* vineyards in Colorado--and plenty of mountains.

Unread 04-02-2007, 02:21 PM

7,809 posts, read 11,887,663 times
I think the greater LA basin of mexifornia is a septic tank of 14 million people and Colorado is kind of sparse and less polluted.

I'm sure other parts of mexifornia are great if you're really rich. Just too many people. There's nothing wrong with people- per say, but that's just too many in one spot. LA has become the ghetto. You can have it.

Unread 04-02-2007, 02:30 PM

91 posts, read 245,694 times
What about some of the smaller towns to the north of LA... There are a lot of really nice towns there.. such as Santa Maria and Orcutt and such...
I dont know. I CERTAINLY understand leaving MASS populated areas..
I wouldnt stay in LA or any of the such either... What about the other little towns outside of them though.

I see people on board that are leaving Cali.. from small towns such as mentioned above, and they make $100K or more so it couldnt be the money situation making them leave.

I agree though... Colorado is beautiful from what I remember of it and have seen on the internet..

Unread 04-02-2007, 02:33 PM

1,057 posts, read 2,586,706 times
Look at the thread in the California State Forum titled, "Why are so many Californians moving out of state?". Lots of great posts about the issues that Californians have to put up with to live with all the great stuff you mention. It all come down to priorities and it sounds like yours are different from ours. I grew up in SoCal and loved it, still do. Our older kids still live there and it fits them well.
A large problem in CA is illegal immigration. The flow into CA is immense. I can't blame them for taking advantage of the system. There is virtually no punishment and the state will provide many services that are not available to U.S. citizens from other states. Most of the illegals are not interested in becoming part of America. It will not get better as the promise of amnesty is luring many more. Many cities are 'santuary cities', where police depts are unable to enforce federal immigration laws. The elementary school where our daughter would have attended has 37% non-english speakers.
Plus all the stuff that comes with a huge area of dense population. Traffic has gotten way crazy. Rents and property values are sky high(this might actually be a positive if you are a landlord or own property). Crime is high.
For us, the attraction in CO was the schools for our youngest, the value in the real estate, smaller population and the beautiful open spaces.
Where do you live and how long have you been there?

Unread 04-02-2007, 02:44 PM

346 posts, read 1,005,612 times
O.K. Here goes my rant--I have lived in Southern California my entire life (30 miles east of Los Angeles). I still live in the area in which I grew up in. As a child I could ride my bike through the neighborhood with a friend and feel safe. We could get to a clean, non polluted beach in 30-40 minutes. I could play in my front yard safely. Now I am a mom of 6-year-old twins, and an elementary school teacher. The traffic here is absolutely insane. My husband works 20 miles from home, and it takes him 90 minutes. He often has to take surface roads the entire way to avoid sitting on the freeways for an even longer period of time. When we want to go to Disneyland or some other destination, we have to pull our kids out of school to do so--or deal with huge crowds and traffic which takes away from the enjoyment. As a teacher I have seen our schools decline rapidly. The teachers are extremely dedicated and well-qualified, but there's only so much that can be done when there is a constant influx of illegal immigrants overcrowding our schools. This problem also brings our tests scores way down, due to the fact that so many do not know the language or have a very limited understanding of it. We now have graffiti showing up closer to home every day. What used to be confined to downtown L.A. is literally down the block from us now. Graffiti is on nearly every call box, underpass, freeway sign, etc. It's very ugly. I do not feel safe here, and would never let my own children play in the front yard without my constant supervision. You never know if some idiot is going to drive by shooting a gun. The other issue is health--the smog here is just awful. There are many days where the nearby mountains are just barely visible. I believe we have about 185 unhealthy days per year on average. It affects how we feel--stinging throat and eyes, and yucky phlegm in throat as well. I will miss the beach, but safety, better school situations, clear sky and hopefully friendly people are the things I hope to find in Colorado. (Plus I have family there--so that's a big plus!)

Unread 04-02-2007, 02:54 PM

2 posts, read 21,381 times
I asked the same question until I moved to Colorado Springs From, CA. I went back to Ca. to care for my father for over a year, could not wait to get back to Colorado, simply because where I lived in CA, Bishop, jobs were hard to come by and the one that I did get only paid what I got when I got 30 years ago.... Simply to say, I believe it comes down to Money. It is cheaper to buy a home in Colorado, the pay is a little better, the weather is never changing (if you like change) and that probably brings me back to my final comment, I am moving back to Ca., at my age, money is not that major for me, I would rather be happy where I am than some place that can get me what I want, but not where I want to be. If that makes sense, then you know where I am coming from, I am a single woman, and with no family, can move as I need, especially in my career field (IT), my family all live in Sacramento, daughter and 3 grandsons in Victorville, but leaving behind my son and new grand daughter. Everyone has their views on what is important in their lives but right now, going home.... at least there is no smog in Bishop.

Unread 04-02-2007, 09:35 PM

261 posts, read 806,894 times
There are literally hundreds of reasons why one might want to leave CA for CO. First off is the price of homes and rent. You can just never get ahead. Someone mentioned making over $100K/year should not be a problem when living in CA. Well it honestly doesn't get you much. My husband and I combined make that, and we still can't afford a house. Put in $3.15/gal of gas, that's about $200/month for a 30 minute each way commuter. It's just not pleasant.

The oceans are okay, but they're getting crowded and dirty. I personally would choose mountains and rivers over oceans and vineyards anytime. I'm from far North California where it snows a lot. CO is much more like home to me than most of CA. The traffic is atrocious. The crime is becoming a huge problem. I'd never let my kids out on the street alone. Now the new houses have no backyards. And, if they're lucky, they all share a community park loaded with dirty people with dirty things on their mind.

With all of the said, CA is all I know, but we'll probably eventually move out to CO because it truly is everything we want. We are small-town lovers who desire a slower-paced life. Personally I'd rather see old, beat up pick-up trucks than pimped out Escalades with blasting systems.

I think the people in CO, from what I've observed, have a much more stable head on their shoulders and they know right from wrong. They are more family oriented, and I appreciate their values.

Not 100 reasons. I could go on, but I won't. Congrats to anyone who read this whole post.

Unread 04-02-2007, 10:28 PM

2,267 posts, read 5,107,106 times
I just ran a search and the cheapest 3 bedroom home in Orcutt is $329,000, and Santa Maria is $300,000. Those are basic 3 bed/1 bath older homes. So $100,000 a year even there doesn't by much. Not to mention everything else is California costs about 30-50% more. Gas is almost a dollar more than the rest of the country. Groceries are more, entertainment is more, etc.

Not to mention that wherever you go there is always hoards of people around. Forget having a decent conversation with someone, chances are they don't speak english. The school system basically sucks. They tax you on everything. It seems like there is also too much greed in California. Everyone wants to suck every dime out of you.

There is little sense of community. Neighbors barely say hello. When I go to the store, I feel like leaving because the teenagers use such foul language all the time.

It takes you a half hour to get to Safeway any time of any day, and it's only a mile away. Then once I get there, there are about 200 people in line and 3 registers open. Then when I walk back out to my car, there are people soliciting for people to buy stuff.

Living that close to the beach to me isn't that important. Usually it's too cold or polluted to go in the water anyway. The weather is Colorado is pretty much the same as California, except the winters get a little colder. They have a lot of sun and nice weather 8 months out of the year. The other 4 are perfect for skiing.

I'll take Colorado; where my neighbors are friendly, I can buy a home a nice home for under $300,000, I can hold an intelligent conversation with people who have decent family values; over California anyday.

Once my tour is complete here I'm gone. I'll come back to visit once every 3 years.

Unread 04-03-2007, 01:59 AM

477 posts, read 1,487,912 times
My sister is an RN and lived and worked in LA years ago. I would go out there and visit sometimes. She was scared of rapists, weird transients who would just be about everywhere including the bushes and had trouble with trash being dumped around her place. Men looking for and having sex out in the streets. The gang bangers are a huge problem there too. When I would go out there, transients would come up and always be asking for money or trying to wipe your windshield for money even though you dont want that, at stop lights. I was scared to stop at red lights for not knowing who would show up at your window. Just plain scary! Not too mention these crazy police chases, cars zooming past you. The ocean is filthy. Many times the beaches were closed from raw sewage going out there. Yuk! You have to watch for needles on the beach too and not get poked from some junkie needle. Lots of junkies walking around especially in the parks. I couldnt believe the horrible crimes too. People often found murdered and dumped around the city like trash. The only liveable areas are were the super rich live but I wouldnt feel safe there either. Thank goodness my sister didnt have kids because LA is not the place to have kids. So many are abducted and horrible things happen to them. Just terrible. Electricity prices in Ca. are outrageous too! Anyway, my sister left there and has not missed it a bit. The northern part of California is very pretty but incredibly expensive and the local towns there dont like newcomers coming in there. Not many jobs in the small towns of N. Ca. either.

Oh I wanted to add, when my sister first moved to LA and I first went to see her, one day we decided to go jogging. We were incredibly stupid about LA. A van followed us and it turned around with some creepy guy eyeing us, so we went over to where some people were and waiting near them til the van creeped away and we saw it turning around again so we ducked behind a building and when the van left we high tailed it on another street back home and almost got hit by some punk in a sports car when we were crossing a walk. Needless to say, we never went jogging there again. Too dangerous.

Last edited by I_LUVNM; 04-03-2007 at 02:26 AM.. Reason: added content
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado