Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 04:33 PM

6,023 posts, read 14,067,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by treedonkey View Post
How do they get folks to do that for free? Is it just something he does when he happens to be home and isn't busy with other stuff...? (Like helping people on CDF) or does the govt or some entity somehow pay him for it?
Nobody pays him, he does it out of his sweet Montana heart. Grass roots efforts like this provides convenience for the locals as well as the travelers and helps keep our taxes low.
More pics for ya all. A few grave markers in a long forgotten pioneers grave yard.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2009, 04:44 PM

2,437 posts, read 8,184,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
Nobody pays him, he does it out of his sweet Montana heart. Grass roots efforts like this provides convenience for the locals as well as the travelers and helps keep our taxes low.
More pics for ya all. A few grave markers in a long forgotten pioneers grave yard.
That sounds sweet and all, but if I had to cross there, I'd rather have someone there whenever I needed to cross charging me a reasonable fee. You know, like a professional.

I don't know, maybe this guy stays home all the time and is willing to get up at any hour and is always 100% cheery to give you a free pull across. I'd still try to pay the guy anyways -- as free stuff makes me uncomfortable.

Old 04-30-2009, 06:00 PM

6,023 posts, read 14,067,614 times
I'm sure he would be happy to accept a tip. He doesn't really go anywhere and these roads as well as the ferry get very little traffic. Not many tourists drive around these farm roads at night, there are many roads not on maps and some roads on the maps are in farmers fields and don't go anywhere. Very few of these roads have signs. Nothing is really free, you may have to put up with a few jokes as he takes you across !

Old 05-01-2009, 09:27 AM

2,437 posts, read 8,184,079 times
Next time I head up to Montana I'm emailing you first just to find out where this guy lives and to get my 'free' ride.

Old 05-01-2009, 03:50 PM

25 posts, read 126,171 times
Too all thank you for all the wonderful replies and photos! I think some of you miss understood me when I was talking about Idaho and MT… I would love to live in either state but lets be real, there are no jobs in the Technology Sector in MT or ID to be had… On one of the replies someone wrote that I don’t think that the folks in ID or MT are just as smart as the folks in Colorado, NO that’s not true! We are all equally smart! It is up to you to educate and enlighten yourself! Not the state. With that said Colorado just seems to produce more folks on average than any other state. MT is very beautiful, I have heard or read somewhere that the mountains in MT make Colorado look like hills? I dunno?

Treedonkey, about the napkin part in my thread, I don’t know what I was thinking but it just came to me… No real big significance there.

Old 05-01-2009, 04:05 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,310,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradohh View Post
With that said Colorado just seems to produce more folks on average than any other state. MT is very beautiful, I have heard or read somewhere that the mountains in MT make Colorado look like hills? I dunno?
I wouldn't say that exactly. Colorado's mountains make Montana's mountains look like hills. In terms of sheer size, number, and grandeur of mountains, Colorado beats out all of the other Rocky Mountain states. What makes Montana special is the state is wayyyyy less populated, more rural, and more authentically "old western" (though that's changing fast) than Colorado.

Now, compared to Alaska and the Canadian Rockies... all the mountains in the lower 48 including Colorado look stupid.

Old 05-01-2009, 04:13 PM

835 posts, read 2,856,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
I wouldn't say that exactly. Colorado's mountains make Montana's mountains look like hills. In terms of sheer size, number, and grandeur of mountains, Colorado beats out all of the other Rocky Mountain states. What makes Montana special is the state is wayyyyy less populated, more rural, and more authentically "old western" (though that's changing fast) than Colorado.

Now, compared to Alaska and the Canadian Rockies... all the mountains in the lower 48 including Colorado look stupid.
well thats where i gotta head next i rekon

Old 05-01-2009, 06:14 PM

2,075 posts, read 5,123,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
All these things being said, everyone needs to follow their dream, whatever it is. Life is a journey, go wherever, here, there, anywhere, see it, feel it, taste it, smell it, touch it, love it, enjoy the experience. Gather what knowledge we can from the sages here and about and roll your own dice.
Thanks for that post.
If I had listened to every person who told me I "couldn't do" this or "shouldn't do" that I wouldn't be where I am now. I trusted my instincts and did what I felt/knew was right for me. And THAT is living MY dream.

Old 05-03-2009, 08:18 AM

447 posts, read 1,606,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neditate View Post
Thanks for that post.
If I had listened to every person who told me I "couldn't do" this or "shouldn't do" that I wouldn't be where I am now. I trusted my instincts and did what I felt/knew was right for me. And THAT is living MY dream.

Very well said. I can totally agree with that statement. If I listened to everyone else I would still be living on the stupid east coast, but now I'm not. I followed a dream and it has made me the happiest person alive.

Old 05-03-2009, 09:32 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,999,002 times
There's a quote from Henry David Thoreau that goes something like this...
What others say you cannot do, you try and find you can.
This has been one of the guiding principles of my life. Thank you HDT!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado