U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 09:41 PM

1,938 posts, read 6,195,900 times

Advertisements

Rocky Ford is a small community and there isn't much "out there" except for farming. However, it is still Colorado- so WELCOME!! I am in Colorado Springs/ Fountain, CO. I love buying fruit from Rocky Ford, of course I wait until the farmers/ranchers come up to the Springs to the farmer's markets. Hopefully your host family will bring you closer to the mountains and let you have some fun in the mountains. Otherwise, the area you are going to be staying is pretty flat, like mid-western flat with lots of farms. You will definitely have both extremes weather wise.
Enjoy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2007, 09:51 AM

1 posts, read 2,826 times
I have lived in Rocky Ford my entire life, and I can't look back on a day where I wished I lived somewhere else.
Here in Rocky we have a theater, bowling ally, swimming pool, lots of Mexican food restaurants and that is really all but we are not far from other places full of fun things to do.
There are lots of farms here that produce great crops. We have a family farm and store (Smith's Corner). I have two brothers who want to take over the farm one day, Adam a senior and Mason a junior, maybe they can show you around town.
Coming to Rocky Ford will be a great experience for you. People here are very welcoming and kind hearted. You will have a great time and learn alot best of luck.
P.S.
Who is your host?

Old 06-13-2007, 10:44 AM

13,699 posts, read 21,517,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stina_R View Post
Hey,
i'm from Sweden and i'm going to Rocky Ford this fall to join High School for a year. Do you know any about the place?
From what i've read this far you don't seem to like the "eastern planes" very much. Depressing area or whatever you say, that makes ME depressed

My host dad told me that Colorado has the least amount of exchange students in the whole U.S. Could that really be true? And in that case, why? I thought you in the midwest were a friendly people.
I remember two foreign exchange students when I was going to Rye HS. Benjo was from Brazil and could play some mean soccer. He was, of course, our field goal kicker. He once drop-kicked a basketball from half court right through, nothing but net! He could probably make it 2 out of 10 tries or come darn close. Unfortunately, he didn't make the basketball team. Ari was another exchange student who could kick like a mule. He used to do kickoffs for us and if we needed an onside kick, he'd just boot the thing straight ahead into an opposing players chest. They'd try to catch it, it would come bouncing out, and we'd pounce on it.

I'd think that you will be well received by your fellow students and teachers. You just do your job and let them do theirs. When you get home from school, go home and do your homework, then go play. You've got it made! If you are into sports, that would be one activity that you could get into and curb your boredom as well. I don't know if you're male or female, but Rocky Fords' football program has been really competitive lately and back in the day, their wrestling program was awesome. If you are female, you'd have volleyball and/or basketball to look forward to. Rocky Ford's basketball team may not have been as strong as their football team, but maybe you can put them over the top.

You thought we in the midwest were friendly people? What makes you think we're not? Why don't you just check it out here first before you make that judgement. Think of what you can bring to it and you might even have fun.

Old 02-29-2008, 07:36 PM

1 posts, read 2,733 times
Default Exchange Student Rep.

Hi. I am glad that you have started emailing your host family. There are so many things to do in Colorado you will have a great time. I have found that it is hard to find Host Families in this area. I am currently looking for Host families and I am having a hard time finding people who would like to host. I have wonderful students and really try to find great homes for them. We have hosted since I was a teenager now I am 35 .... Any how we grow extremly close to all our kids and their families. We go to the mountains, hiking, shopping, and we attend many sports events like Bronco games. Our kids seem to like their stay with us. They also seem to like Colorado. I just wish there were more people who were wanting to host. Well I hope you have a great time here..... [email]Lora1@q.com[/email]

Old 02-05-2009, 10:18 AM

1 posts, read 2,408 times
Default Exchange Students are Fantastic

Exchange students are fantastic! I have been hosting and working with Cultural Homestay International for years. They are so supportive. The students I have hosted have helped me to see America through their eyes and I am always so happy to be living here!

Everyone who is working to Bring Change and promote world peace should give it a try. Creating Global Citizens one student at a time!
[url=http://www.chinet.org]CHI - Cultural Homestay International[/url]

Old 02-05-2009, 02:15 PM

565 posts, read 1,617,076 times
How was your year in Colorado? I'm guessing you are back in Sweden now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or