U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2007, 09:25 AM

431 posts, read 2,500,615 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by outasightoutamind View Post
Questions I figure you would mean like the employment situation, housing, cost of living etc.

The cost of living has to only be LOWER then here in Florida. I know that here rent for a studio apartment can cost a person 800-1000 dollars a month so you can only imagine what a house or apartment would cost you, this is the reality of Florida, they say that there are more people leaving then moving but who knows who is right or wrong.

We have a little furniture making business on the side of our regular job's here, it has always had to be a side job please do not get me wrong we are not weathly by any means and do not expect to do the furniture thing full time when we move but is there any interest in the area for items such as this? We sell items on a regular basis, and was wanting to move the whole shabang there too

We have read about the prisons in the area, not to worry I have several relatives that are correction officers and have no problem with the law or anyone who works for law enforcement, a job is a job and if it makes you happy and feeds your family then go for it.

We both currently work in hospitality, I as a Front Desk Manager and my spouse as a Chief Engineer at a beach property of 200 rooms. We are not concerned about working in the same industry there, nor could I be the least bit concerned about where we work as long as we could find gainful employment somewhere, as I stated before were are pomp and circumstance type people, we just want to live a quiet life with lots of things to do and lots of places to go.

We are not young people here either, we are what I call middle to young aged, after all age is just a number and not how you feel.

We could use some snow for winter haven't seen it in a very long time, trees, rivers, birds, deer, bear whatever we are looking forward to it, and along with all that some places to volunteer our time to our community.

So you can see Canyontiger2 really anything you or anyone else can tell us would just help not hinder, our plans are cemented. We are looking forward to movin on up.
I am not Canyon Tiger2 but I live in Canon City so maybe I can help. I have been out of buying or renting for a long time but in helping a friend from here, I did learn some. A home in town can be bought in the 100,000 or a little more that are in good condition and really nicer than I thought. If you get out alittle more from town they are more but there are so many house for sale that have been just sitting. It is a buyers market. I think bids could be made and excepted. Do not know about Salida's cost of homes. Probably about the same but fewer to pick from. I do know of a nice apt. complex that rents for 5 hundred something unfurnished. 2 bedroom. Can be rented furnished. Rented furniture. Swimming Pool, hot tub etc. Has a chose of lease length, great for living in while looking for a home to buy.

Jobs are scarce in Canon and Salida too. Many people commute from Canon to Pueblo and Colorado Springs. City limits to city limits about half hr. Hiway 115 into the Springs is a real pretty drive thro some low mts this it is winding. To Pueblo, plains, pretty straight and flat. Salida has people that commute to ski resorts for work or maybe Buena Vista. Prison there.

You said the cost of living has got to be lower, true but I am quite sure wages will be lower here than you are used to. As to the market for crafted furniture, I just don't know. Starting new businesses in Canon is a slow hard process.

Hope that helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2007, 08:57 PM

12 posts, read 44,712 times
Default Home For Sale

Hi everyone, I stumbled on to this board after doing a google search of Canon City homes for sale. I have read that several people are looking to move here, and just wanted to say that we have a home for sale...it is listed with a realtor till Oct, and if not sold by then, we will be giving it a go at selling it ourselves. I am not sure what price range anyone is looking at, but we are in a newer subdivision and within blocks of a new school, though we have many older people in our neighborhood (to include ourselves!). We have lived in Canon for 3 years now and enjoy it. If anyone is interested in the info on the house, feel free to email me and I will give you the info/link to the listing in private.

Old 07-21-2007, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outasightoutamind View Post
Questions I figure you would mean like the employment situation, housing, cost of living etc.

The cost of living has to only be LOWER then here in Florida. I know that here rent for a studio apartment can cost a person 800-1000 dollars a month so you can only imagine what a house or apartment would cost you, this is the reality of Florida, they say that there are more people leaving then moving but who knows who is right or wrong.

We have a little furniture making business on the side of our regular job's here, it has always had to be a side job please do not get me wrong we are not weathly by any means and do not expect to do the furniture thing full time when we move but is there any interest in the area for items such as this? We sell items on a regular basis, and was wanting to move the whole shabang there too

We have read about the prisons in the area, not to worry I have several relatives that are correction officers and have no problem with the law or anyone who works for law enforcement, a job is a job and if it makes you happy and feeds your family then go for it.

We both currently work in hospitality, I as a Front Desk Manager and my spouse as a Chief Engineer at a beach property of 200 rooms. We are not concerned about working in the same industry there, nor could I be the least bit concerned about where we work as long as we could find gainful employment somewhere, as I stated before were are pomp and circumstance type people, we just want to live a quiet life with lots of things to do and lots of places to go.

We are not young people here either, we are what I call middle to young aged, after all age is just a number and not how you feel.

We could use some snow for winter havent seen it in a very long time, trees, rivers, birds, deer, bear whatever we are looking forward to it, and along with all that some places to volunteer our time to our community.

So you can see Canyontiger2 really anything you or anyone else can tell us would just help not hinder, our plans are cemented. We are looking forward to movin on up.
I think you will enjoy Canon City. We lived in Colorado Springs for 22 years before moving down here. If you do a google search for "Colorado Springs Police Blotter", you will see why we moved :-) We actually still work in Colorado Springs, and that is because we have been with our jobs there for many years and it is true, we could not leave those jobs and find the same wages here in Canon. The drive on Hwy115 is a pretty drive, and if you ignore the occasional "cling on" who feels they must do 80mph on that road and try to bully you into doing the same by tailgaiting, it is a relaxing drive. I have found people here to be friendly, and we enjoy the many community activities that are planned. The housing market is slow for sellers right now (ours has been on the market for 2½ months now)...so in a way it is a buyers market. I feel house prices are reasonable compared to Colorado Springs and other towns in Colorado. Colorado as a whole state is higher than most other states especially the east coast. Anyone moving here I think would not be dissapointed in their choice. As far as the prisons being here, many people ask "aren't you afraid to live by all the prison". My reply is.....if you escaped from one of the prisons...would you hang around or get as far away as possible!? They are a big employer down here and wages are not too bad. There are many other positions at the prisons besides being a guard. When you first move here, I would suggest taking the little ghost walk tour Canon has during the summer months. I believe it is $10, it is a walking tour and it tells some really neat history of this little town.

Old 07-21-2007, 07:49 AM

Quote:
I do know of a nice apt. complex that rents for 5 hundred something unfurnished. 2 bedroom. Can be rented furnished. Rented furniture. Swimming Pool, hot tub etc. Has a chose of lease length, great for living in while looking for a home to buy?

Nadine....is that the Country Green Apts, or do you know of another complex down here?

Old 07-21-2007, 08:53 AM

431 posts, read 2,500,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanonCo View Post

Nadine....is that the Country Green Apts, or do you know of another complex down here?
Country Green. They are small but great for living in and looking for a home to buy or for what ever reason one needs. Real clean, but the view is lousy except in a few. Most views are of another apt building. There are other apt groupings, I think, but know nothing about them. I am thinking of those off of East Main. The newer ones. Not the old ones that were motels about 50 some yrs ago. Can't recall the names but off the South side not far past the lights on Fremont, 50 & E main by Walgreen, past the Hardware, lumber store that closed, cross the tracks.

Old 07-21-2007, 02:07 PM

Thanks. Yes, I know people in the Country Green Apts...nothing fancy but quiet, and over all the grounds are nice. I will have to check out the other ones. If/When we sell our house, we will probably be renting while looking for another place.

Old 07-21-2007, 05:52 PM

49 posts, read 69,631 times
We would like to say a big THANK YOU to everyone who answered our post. Everyone one of you gave your unbiased opinion's either pro or con, and we are so very grateful.
We are looking forward to moving to the area. We are not afraid of prison's I have to relative's that are correctional officer's so that part doesn't bother me at all.
Wage's of course I realize that they will be lower then here, and that is fine we don't require a lot of fluff.
We look foward to the future of community and God and we will certainly take the ghost tour.
Thank you again and God Bless you all, and we'll be see ya soon.

Old 08-07-2007, 04:51 PM

16 posts, read 35,650 times
Default From Canon City Colorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_LUVNM View Post
COflower, Nadine, you know this area, I am Hispanic, is what this person ranting on about Canon City, Florence and that area about racists true? Will I be safe visiting there in a couple months? Nadine and COflower, you seem really nice and I trust what you say. Thanks for your input.
I don't know what that person has against this area. I was raised here starting in 1958. I left in 1981 but had returned several times and have been back here since 1994. As far as people here being racists, there are a few, as there is any where. Back when I was in school Canon City was mostly whites and Florence was mostly Spanish. I don't want to upset any one here because I'm not sure how to say this and still be "Politically Correct" but the only colored people that lived here back then were in the State Prison until around 1975.
As far as being "safe visiting" here, you would probably be safer here than you would in Colorado Springs or Denver. Here in Canon we don't have the gang problems that the bigger cities have and its safe to walk the streets at night. This town has been mostly a retirement town and has a large elderly part of the population.
As for work in this area, there isn't much that will pay over the minimum wage. The best paying jobs are working at one of the prisons and I think we have 12 of them now, or close to that. The cost of living here is higher than some of the places that I lived for the few years that I was gone but probably cheaper than the Springs or Pueblo and we have a lot lower crime rate than they do too.
If its a place with a low cost of living you want try Spanish Fork in Utah. But you better be Mormon if you want to try that. I was there for 5 years. Since I'm not Mormon I could only go so far with my job and I was treated like an outcast. But it was cheap living and in beautiful mountains.
Over all if you are looking for someplace fairly safe and quiet, someplace to kick back and take things slow and easy, its alright.

Old 08-08-2007, 12:43 AM

1,394 posts, read 3,879,012 times
I just want to add that I have just moved to Canon City, it is awesome!!!!! The people are very friendly, the mountains beautiful, and what a life. I love it here.
I am looking for a home to buy, and am now renting at the Country Green Apartments, this is the place I have always dreamed of living, and a great place to raise my child. I have nothing but good things to say about Canon City, you have a lot of things to do and see, with the bigger towns not that far from you. Thanks for letting me rattle on. Yorkie_Mom

Old 08-13-2007, 03:12 PM

13,642 posts, read 21,494,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkie_Mom View Post
I just want to add that I have just moved to Canon City, it is awesome!!!!! The people are very friendly, the mountains beautiful, and what a life. I love it here.
I am looking for a home to buy, and am now renting at the Country Green Apartments, this is the place I have always dreamed of living, and a great place to raise my child. I have nothing but good things to say about Canon City, you have a lot of things to do and see, with the bigger towns not that far from you. Thanks for letting me rattle on. Yorkie_Mom
Hey, Yorkie! Have you ever seen this yorkie? My wife emailed this to my and I thought you'd appreciate it.

I Do Dog Tricks

Have you checked out Buckskin Joes yet? It's a lot nicer than your typical tourist traps north along the Front Range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado