U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 02:56 PM

10,979 posts, read 14,687,818 times

Advertisements

Oh yeah, I check the state and federal sites before I choose a place to live. Water quality is always a top question, just as important as soil type or what have you. Where we live now our well is only 175 ft deep and 37gallons per minute. It gets tested every 2 years. Good water, but smells like rotten eggs! If I buy a house out there on a well, I'd have the water tested as a purchase condition. I'd also look for elevated chlorine levels to see if the seller spiked the well to hide something.

There are a lot of developments out here in WV that were built on old apple orchards. Tons of pesticide and arsenic residue from farming practices from decades ago. Since we have a karst rock formation (splits and fissures in limestone) this stuff has migrated down into the aquifers/wells of many a homesite. Even though the water smells great (and tastes great) it could be contaminated. Every large parcel transfer on an orchard tract gets a Phase II automitically now. There's no way to mitigate it other than public water now.

My bro-in law worked on the clean-up at the arsenal near Denver. So sure- there are lots of areas that are impaired.

Yeah- no place is toally immune from risk, no doubt. What's the old saying? What's the risk of life but death, lol. However you have to weigh the risk of proximity as well. That's the case with us, especially with kiddies. And ain't no way in hell the wife would ever agree to move her little kiddies so close to an issue like Cotter. And I ain't gonna argue the matter. The Springs it is.

(I will still hunt, fish and visit Canon, if that's any better )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2007, 05:46 PM

42 posts, read 185,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Oh yeah, I check the state and federal sites before I choose a place to live. Water quality is always a top question, just as important as soil type or what have you. Where we live now our well is only 175 ft deep and 37gallons per minute. It gets tested every 2 years. Good water, but smells like rotten eggs! If I buy a house out there on a well, I'd have the water tested as a purchase condition. I'd also look for elevated chlorine levels to see if the seller spiked the well to hide something.

There are a lot of developments out here in WV that were built on old apple orchards. Tons of pesticide and arsenic residue from farming practices from decades ago. Since we have a karst rock formation (splits and fissures in limestone) this stuff has migrated down into the aquifers/wells of many a homesite. Even though the water smells great (and tastes great) it could be contaminated. Every large parcel transfer on an orchard tract gets a Phase II automitically now. There's no way to mitigate it other than public water now.

My bro-in law worked on the clean-up at the arsenal near Denver. So sure- there are lots of areas that are impaired.

Yeah- no place is toally immune from risk, no doubt. What's the old saying? What's the risk of life but death, lol. However you have to weigh the risk of proximity as well. That's the case with us, especially with kiddies. And ain't no way in hell the wife would ever agree to move her little kiddies so close to an issue like Cotter. And I ain't gonna argue the matter. The Springs it is.

(I will still hunt, fish and visit Canon, if that's any better )
Hey OK by me that you and others don't want to live here. I think it's great. Leaves more rural areas and less population, which I am in favor of. Canon is growing much too fast to suit me.

Old 08-24-2007, 09:09 PM

12 posts, read 44,846 times
To each his own, that is what makes us a great world. Myself, I lived in Colorado Springs for 20 years before moving to Canon City. I will take chances with Cotter any day over what Colo Springs has become. Check back with us after you have lived there a year or so, and let us know if your wife still thinks it is a great place for the "kiddies".

Old 08-24-2007, 09:10 PM

10,979 posts, read 14,687,818 times
Shoot, you would have loved us.. A family from West Virginia complete with coonhounds and a penchant for filling the freezer with game!

Maybe I'll go west of Canon and commute...

Old 08-25-2007, 09:38 AM

42 posts, read 185,797 times
Quote:
Shoot, you would have loved us.. A family from West Virginia complete with coonhounds and a penchant for filling the freezer with game!

Maybe I'll go west of Canon and commute...
Bring it on. I have a family of coons that would and have tore down the bird feeders, squirrel feeder(feed the squirrel, it stays out of the bird feeder)and likes corn. Don't care much for the electric fence around it tho. Darn Whitetail Deer are moving in and they are guttiest deer I ever saw. When they move in the Mule deer move out. Mule Deer are more spooky than these darn things. People in their ignorance feed them and never think about the lion, coyote etc that follow for food. It is against the law to feed but they don't care until they get caught. It is cute to have Bambi in their yd, that is until a hungry lion shows up, then of coarse it is the horrible lions fault.

Old 08-26-2007, 06:45 PM

403 posts, read 574,649 times
[quote=Threerun;1350322]Oh yeah, I check the state and federal sites before I choose a place to live. Water quality is always a top question, just as important as soil type or what have you. Where we live now our well is only 175 ft deep and 37gallons per minute. It gets tested every 2 years. Good water, but smells like rotten eggs! If I buy a house out there on a well, I'd have the water tested as a purchase condition. I'd also look for elevated chlorine levels to see if the seller spiked the well to hide something.

Could you please tell me what state and federal sites you check? Thanks!

Old 09-13-2007, 04:18 PM

16 posts, read 35,716 times
Default Tailings and ground water testing at Coters

Quote:
Like I said my wife an I were conflicted about the decision. Canon City is a nice place. However we had two realtors tell us that if we buy a house in the Lincoln Park Zone we have to sign a waiver, and the EPA reports we reviewed continually have Cotter on their radar screen. It does bring up a modicum of concern.

As far as the tailings, if they aren't an issue, why spend so much money on remediation techniques to remove the moly and uranium? I can't believe they would do this without cause. Why as recently as 2005 did an EPA report state they couldn't verify ground water conditions becasue Cotter did not install the monitoring wells in the right locations (one was uphill from the tailings ponds, lotsa good that does)..

In my profession I have to be cognizant of environmental concerns, especially as they pertain to real estate and chain of title concerns. I'm pretty familiar with environmental Phase audit reports. I also know a lot of 'mis-information' starts floating around when the EPA gets involved, even with seemingly benign issues (asbestos is a prime example of things getting overblown). But in the end you've got to go with the most reliable resources and go with what you know.

The CDPHE and EPA reports were enough to sway us against Canon City.

Like I said it's a great town with nice folks, but Cotter certainly deserves a mention when discussing Canon City as destination for relocation.
Just a little more info for you. You asked "As far as the tailing's, if they aren't an issue, why spend so much money on remediation techniques to remove the moly and uranium?"
Hello! This is what the plant was made to do. Remove the Moly and Uranium, along with several other useful elements from the ore that they process. The methods used back in the 60's and 70's was a flotation technique. They changed to a leaching process that was more effective when they built the new mill in 78-79. They reprocessed the old tailing's to reclaim what was missed by the old method.
As for the wells for water testing. The reason for having a test well above the tailing pond is to be able to take comparative samples. A sample from above the ponds compared with samples below it will tell if anything has changed in the condition of the quality of the water. As for the EPA report of the wells being in the wrong locations, I haven't seen that report. But, in 1980 to 81 when I was working there as a Safety Tech I went all over the valley taking water samples every week and changed out the filters in the air samplers every 48 hours and turned them into the lab for testing. We took samples from all areas above and below the mill. The two years that I was there we never did find any contamination in any of the samples.
As for the reports in the local news paper about violations found when the mill was inspected. The paper makes a big deal out of telling every one that they were fined for several violations. But what they don't tell is the violations are for little nit-picking things like cigarette buts in the parking lot, a empty pop can outside of the lunch room, a water hose not rolled up and hanging on the wall, little things like this. There are so many rules and regulations about even the little things that don't really matter that it's impossible to pass all of them. For a comparison, Cotters has to keep up with just about as many rules and regulations for running the mill as they do to file there Tax's!

Old 04-19-2008, 05:02 PM
cbh

1 posts, read 2,510 times
Hello. I have lived in Fremont County for 28 years and am raising my three children in Canon City. The town is safe and that is the only good thing. There is no opportunity as far as employment other than the Department of Corrections. The is nothing for kids to do. The community is a split between retired people and poverty stricken people. There is not enough jobs, the schools are not the greatest, and the people are very unfriendly. It doesn't matter if they are the high or low class they all think they are something special. I am relocating my family to Colorado Springs. There is also a huge problem with meth here in Canon City. Colorado Springs is a much better choice and the cost of living is very close. You will have to drive to Colorado Springs to be able to shop for anything decent anyways as Canon City only has a Wal-mart and a bunch of thrift stores. Good luck.

Old 04-19-2008, 06:26 PM

4,406 posts, read 5,337,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbh View Post
Hello. I have lived in Fremont County for 28 years and am raising my three children in Canon City. The town is safe and that is the only good thing. There is no opportunity as far as employment other than the Department of Corrections. The is nothing for kids to do. The community is a split between retired people and poverty stricken people. There is not enough jobs, the schools are not the greatest, and the people are very unfriendly. It doesn't matter if they are the high or low class they all think they are something special. I am relocating my family to Colorado Springs. There is also a huge problem with meth here in Canon City. Colorado Springs is a much better choice and the cost of living is very close. You will have to drive to Colorado Springs to be able to shop for anything decent anyways as Canon City only has a Wal-mart and a bunch of thrift stores. Good luck.
Thanks for your advice. I've been looking at property in that area (and to the west in the mountains) for over a year. I've found the realtors to be the rudest most unprofessional people imaginable. Do they not do business on weekends? I've had three properties sell on me and my realtors failed to notify me. The third one was just this afternoon. I live 800 miles away and it's a two-day drive to see properties. They are aware of this. Oh well, they don't want my money I guess.

I like Colorado Springs, in fact, I adore the view of the mountains and the city is a good size. But, I'm just about ready to abandon my goal of living in Colorado because of my dealings with the people of Canon City. What a shame because it really does offer a lot on paper but, apparently, very little in reality. I'm very sad today.

Old 04-19-2008, 08:37 PM

4,648 posts, read 9,169,223 times
mhouse2001, why do you say you are abandoning your goal of living in Colorado because of your dealings with a couple of realtors in one place? Are you judging the whole state and everyone in it based on what happened with a couple of people? Have you tried contacting other realtors in the area? Is Canon City the only place you are looking? If you are interested in the Salida/Buena Vista area let me know and I can recommend a good realtor. Also, I have contacts in Westcliff. You can email me privately for more information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado