U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2008, 02:42 AM

16,438 posts, read 18,522,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
I love that French restaurant out there.
You're unusual in being able to like both Mexican and French food! I love Mexican, especially the much maligned Tex -Mex variety, and find french way too bland for my taste. I guess my taste buds are burned out from jalapenos...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2008, 02:55 AM

16,438 posts, read 18,522,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canon City Girl View Post
yeah some people are not as friendly as where we came from, but they are the ones missing out not us.
Years ago we bought a great house in Corpus Christi. It had a nice park near by, good schools, low taxes (then...), low crime, all aces. After we moved in we discovered that the neighbors (white) on all sides would not even talk to us, and wouldn't let their kids play with ours. We are a mixed race couple, I am white and my wife is from the Indian subcontinent and looks oriental. At that time there was a "shrimp war" going on between the Vietnamese immigrants and the traditional Anglo and Hispanic shrimpers. The KKK came in and muddied the water further. The end result was that we had almost no Anglo friends, (but surprisingly found many friends among the Hispanic community).

So, next time we buy a house the first thing we're going to do is knock on doors in the neighborhood and ask "We're thinking about buying the house across the street; how would you feel about having us as your neighbors?"

Last edited by Bideshi; 08-02-2008 at 03:06 AM..

Old 08-02-2008, 07:11 PM

13,656 posts, read 21,503,411 times
Let me tell you my truth about food. If someone is cooking it for me, I love it and eat it all. If it really IS good food, I'll find my way back there.

When I started a Mexican Food thread way back then, I do believe that I recognized that there's about 125+ different types of Mexican food. I'd probably enjoy most all of them if they're done up good. I'd have included the Tex-Mex style food in my post, but I got into a heated debate about it in the Springs thread-way before I started my own thread. Then as time passed, I saw new comers to Colorado say, "where's the good Mexican Food?" and of some of those, some did NOT want the Tex Mex style.

I'm down with good Tex Mex too, regardless of what Large says. When I think of good Tex Mex, I think of the inner sleeve of my Tres Hombres album. Now that looks really good!

Le Petite Chablis is very good and a tad expensive, but worth it. We heard about another restaurant in town before we found that one and we were underwhelmed, but I'd be willing to try it again. I think it's called the Belvedere. We went one night when it was really crowded and it was getting late, so we should try it again. But we love that other place. It's a place you must experience at least twice a year.

I was in France before, and I could live on good coffee, crepes, cheese, chocolate, etc...

Old 09-01-2008, 06:29 PM

4,406 posts, read 5,319,371 times
How's the housing market in Canon City? I'm looking to buy a house and I'm from out of state but have trying for the last two years to buy in CC. Seems the houses I'm interested in sell before I can look at them. How's the area around the high school, between College and US 50? Thanks.

Old 09-02-2008, 08:43 AM

1,331 posts, read 4,416,032 times
What's your budget??

Old 09-09-2008, 04:07 PM

56 posts, read 131,682 times
I've got a few specific questions for some of you canon city residents:
I am 23 year old white single female with no kids, raised on a ranch in NE NM, used to the climate of canon city and the industries, as my home town in NE NM is VERY similar. I'd like to move to canon city but would be moving there alone knowing no-one so ...
I have an associates degree in business admin with an emphasis in accounting, work experience in everything from banking, to government, to business appraisals, to post secondary education, to natural gas drilling operations - Is it going to be difficult for me to find a job?
I currently live in Amarillo, Texas and also moved here on my own so am very outgoing and friendly but I would like to know if there are many people in the mid 20's age group there...
Also, how is the current attitude towards dogs there? I currently have a male and a female english bulldog which I breed and I have a VERY hard time convincing people here that they are not vicious like pit bulls... I am also tired of loosing $1000+ every time I move because of non-refundable pet deposits. -- Can anyone give me some advise

Old 09-17-2008, 02:09 PM

486 posts, read 1,235,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gberry View Post
I've got a few specific questions for some of you canon city residents:
I am 23 year old white single female with no kids, raised on a ranch in NE NM, used to the climate of canon city and the industries, as my home town in NE NM is VERY similar. I'd like to move to canon city but would be moving there alone knowing no-one so ...
I have an associates degree in business admin with an emphasis in accounting, work experience in everything from banking, to government, to business appraisals, to post secondary education, to natural gas drilling operations - Is it going to be difficult for me to find a job?
I currently live in Amarillo, Texas and also moved here on my own so am very outgoing and friendly but I would like to know if there are many people in the mid 20's age group there...
Also, how is the current attitude towards dogs there? I currently have a male and a female english bulldog which I breed and I have a VERY hard time convincing people here that they are not vicious like pit bulls... I am also tired of loosing $1000+ every time I move because of non-refundable pet deposits. -- Can anyone give me some advise

gberry, you will probably love it here in Canon if you are from a ranch because this is a very pastoral, agriculturaly based town. Farmers Market runs here from May-October. 4-H is a huge deal, as are county fairs. There are still many farms and orchards within city limits. On my five minute drive to Wal-mart, I pass by several pastures with horses (right in town!)
Also with your degree, you would not have a hard time getting employment with some level of government here - particularly through the prisons. They are always hiring and pay decent because it is state or federal job, depending on what prison you are employed with. get in contact with the Canon City Workforce Center - they will help you a great deal in finding employment here.
There are not a whole lot of 20 something professionals in CC though. The young tend to leave to go away to college. There are a lot of church-going families and MANY retirees. That's the downside. Not a whole lot of youth so CC is lacking in the progressive thought department.
Dogs, well dogs run wild here in the streets and no one seems to care. That is one thing I don't like about CC - they are really lacking in the animal control department. Pitbulls frequently roam loose in the hoods and no one seems to care. So I don't think you would have a problem with you bulldogs. In fact, there are other breeders here as well and there are dog shows and stuff like that. Good veterinarians too.
Hope that helps.

Old 09-17-2008, 02:12 PM

486 posts, read 1,235,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
How's the housing market in Canon City? I'm looking to buy a house and I'm from out of state but have trying for the last two years to buy in CC. Seems the houses I'm interested in sell before I can look at them. How's the area around the high school, between College and US 50? Thanks.
It is a buyer's market here right now. But anything that is in good shape and decently priced sells very quickly so you have to act fast and have a local realtor looking out for you.
Very nice area around high school. Homes in various price ranges too. Great area - also close to shopping, Rudd Park & hospital.

Old 09-17-2008, 02:30 PM

32,810 posts, read 30,061,070 times
Is that restaurant the Belvedere (sp) still there? That was my favorite one growing up. Man that was some good eats.

Canon City is beautiful. I've got relatives there.

Old 09-20-2008, 11:52 AM

16 posts, read 35,658 times
Default Water samples, wells, & EPA reports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
As far as the tailings, if they aren't an issue, why spend so much money on remediation techniques to remove the moly and uranium? I can't believe they would do this without cause. Why as recently as 2005 did an EPA report state they couldn't verify ground water conditions becasue Cotter did not install the monitoring wells in the right locations (one was uphill from the tailings ponds, lotsa good that does)...
As far as working on "remediation techniques" its just good business to try and improve methods of processing. And they have to keep spending money on it because of all the BS accusations from people that don't know anything about it. Somebody comes up with some goofy thing to try to blame on them so then they have to spend thousands of dollars to prove that there wasn't a problem to start with.

"Cotter did not install the monitoring wells in the right locations (one was uphill from the tailings ponds, lotsa good that does)...[/quote]

They have wells located above the tailing's ponds so that they can take samples of the underground water BEFORE it passes under the ponds. It doesn't do much good to just take samples below the ponds if you don't have anything to compare them too. If they just did that then they would be blamed for contaminates that got into the ground water several miles away, like from the Silver Mines and Gold Mines up around West Cliff and Silver Cliff.
As for being accused of not having the wells in the right locations, its hard telling just what they meant by that. Cotters takes samples from wells all over the valley. Both above and below them on the water shed. There are several wells just below Cotters and immediately below the tails ponds. They take samples from wells across Lincoln Park and also in the Grape Creek area. I used to collect these samples when I worked there as a Safety Tec in 1980 & 81. I also collected filter papers from air samplers all over the valley every 48 hours.
When they put out an EPA report on Cotters and they claim they have all these "violations" and put it in the local paper what they don't tell you is what the "violations" are for. Most of them are for little nit picking things. Like finding a cigarette butt outside of a smoking area, or a pop can sitting someplace. Or a few feet of water hose not coiled up and hanging on the wall. They will come up with a list of things like this and then make a big noise about it and make it sound like they just have contaminates running out on the ground all over the place. When actually there isn't a single thing on there list of "violations" that is actually harmful or any kind of danger to any one or the environment, or even comes close to deserving all the attention.
Most of the time I think its just these "Inspectors" trying to find things to b***h about and create paper work on just so that they can justify there existence on the "job". As in most government jobs, there job is to create paper work so that they have a job. And this gives other worthless people jobs reading, filing, and creating more paper work on there paper work to pass on to others to create more paper work on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado