Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2007, 02:36 AM

476 posts, read 2,318,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkie_Mom View Post
All I can say is we need a town with low cost of living, here in Minnesota the wage increases didn't keep up with the jobs we were doing for the last 10 years, so we need to find something we can afford.
The mountains is what we are interested in, we are also white so we shouldn't have problems trying to fit in. I can also say we are down to earth, very nice and polite, and if people don't take to that, well we still have the mountains.
How can Cañon City be that bad of a town when my daughters teacher reccomended it??? She graduated from there. If someone can really give me good reasons not to move to a certain place and be able to back it up, I am willing to listen, but they have to be good reasons.
If anyone lives in Cañon City and would like to add their 2 cents worth in, please feel free, I think we need to hear the good along with any bad. So lets hear what you all have to say. Thanks, Yorkie
Hi Yorkie Mom! I have heard Canon City is a pretty nice town, a business friend told me who lives in Colorado Springs and I trust what he said. Canon City is a low cost place compared to most of Colorado. I dont know the area personally and want to visit to see the area and of course the Gorge. Then this guy keeps ranting how bad it is and racists and on and on and I just wonder if this guy has any merit or why this person hates it so much. I still think from what my friend told me is true, that Canon City is a good town to live in. I would love to live in Durango but being a single mom, it would be a stretch. So I definitely undertsand you needing a cheap but nice place to live too. In Colorado, they are few and far between. From what I know about Colorado, the cheapest places are Pueblo and possibly the Canon City area. Trinidad is cheaper house wise but very very few jobs. Then there are the tiny eastern Colorado towns like Burlington which are cheap places to live but very little jobs and tornado country. I live in Farmington, New Mexico and I have everything I need here, it is cheaper to live here than Colorado but the homes here are very expensive, probably average around $400,000 for a new average size home. I wish you the best on finding a good and cheap place to live.
Oh and your little Yorkie dog is a sweetheart!

Last edited by I_LUVNM; 04-15-2007 at 02:45 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2007, 03:13 AM

1,312 posts, read 7,916,263 times
I_LUVNM - Honestly, I think that Te amo no puedo pararme is a disgruntled young one (think teens or very early 20s) who is not happy about it.

Plenty of people call the area home and for a reason. From what I know (my father and his fellow investors would not have purchased property in the area had it been a "dump". I do web design for another company that set up shop there to build a home development.

I have visited there many times and it's the eastern slope version of Grand Junction but smaller. It has all the things that people need and want in a smaller community. I ran into a local at the Royal Gorge Bridge a couple of years ago and she was as kind as can be.

The realtor for my dad and fellow investors property was a great guy. We only met locals (in some obscure places) that were as kind as can be. The people at the chamber of commerce where very helpful while knowing that my father and his friends were building down there...

I don't know why the one poster is so dead set against the area.

I have also met a district attorney's employee and he was pretty cool.

As for being hispanic anywhere in Colorado, no worries as far as I am concerned. I grew up, worked around and even had a hispanic as a boyfriend and I am as white as they come (think something close to Irish or Scot)...most of the "racist" things you will see in CO are not really in the Colorado area...at least not to my knowledge. I know they exist but overall, there are a lot of Mexicans that were here long before we "whites" came to the state. If you look at some of our political past you can see that being hispanic is not a hinderance...

You will be safe. I have a step-step-cousin (hard to explain but he's my step-brother's step-cousin's husband or something like that) who came direct from Mexico City and he seems to be doing fine with regards to the locals here in Colorado and even came with us to Cañon for the train ride.

All I can say is if you value yourself most people will respond in kind around here. People will know if you have a chip on your shoulder but overall Southern Colorado is a good place to live no matter your race - so I like to think.

Old 04-15-2007, 09:02 AM

184 posts, read 440,162 times
My bet is that poster is a 17 year old kid who can't wait to get out on his own and make his own way in life. Nothing wrong with that. Just goes to show that perception is everything and we all have our biases. Only after he leaves the area and learns about other places/people will he learn to appreciate the place he left behind. That's life.

Canon City is a beautiful place. We looked all over the country for a retirement place and chose Canon for a reason (lots of them). The 'hard' part for us is adjusting to how nice people are out there whenever we go to visit! People passing in cars actually wave at you! It usually takes us a couple days to 'adjust' to the friendly people. (I'm of mixed race, in case that matters.....it doesn't to me.)

Old 04-15-2007, 02:36 PM

431 posts, read 2,793,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_LUVNM View Post
Hi Yorkie Mom! I have heard Canon City is a pretty nice town, a business friend told me who lives in Colorado Springs and I trust what he said. Canon City is a low cost place compared to most of Colorado. I dont know the area personally and want to visit to see the area and of course the Gorge. Then this guy keeps ranting how bad it is and racists and on and on and I just wonder if this guy has any merit or why this person hates it so much. I still think from what my friend told me is true, that Canon City is a good town to live in. I would love to live in Durango but being a single mom, it would be a stretch. So I definitely undertsand you needing a cheap but nice place to live too. In Colorado, they are few and far between. From what I know about Colorado, the cheapest places are Pueblo and possibly the Canon City area. Trinidad is cheaper house wise but very very few jobs. Then there are the tiny eastern Colorado towns like Burlington which are cheap places to live but very little jobs and tornado country. I live in Farmington, New Mexico and I have everything I need here, it is cheaper to live here than Colorado but the homes here are very expensive, probably average around $400,000 for a new average size home. I wish you the best on finding a good and cheap place to live. Oh and your little Yorkie dog is a sweetheart!
Will you be looking for a job when you move to Canon? Jobs are NOT plentiful. Depends what your field is. State jobs as teachers and CSP seem to be the best bet. Many drive to Pueblo or Co. Springs. Housing is comparability low in Canon but everything else is just is high as everywhere else. It is possible to buy anything a person needs here but for a larger selection, Pueblo and Co. Springs are only 40-45 miles away. Canon has some real pretty old homes. And I see some brand new homes listed under 200,000.

Quote:
COflower, Nadine, you know this area, I am Hispanic, is what this person ranting on about Canon City, Florence and that area about racists true? Will I be safe visiting there in a couple months? Nadine and COflower, you seem really nice and I trust what you say. Thanks for your input.
Florence has many Hispanics as does Canon City. I think that originally Hispanics came here for work in the mines as did the Italians. As far as racists, I think there is some in all nationalities. I do know there has been some problems in the past with some gangs coming from the larger cities which happen to be Hispanics. Thinking they could do their drugs etc in a rural town and get away with it. Did not work. People notice someone new around here, including the Hispanics, they reported them too. And we do get some lower class type of people just like everywhere else and I am sure they call us racists because we avoid them. Safe, I sure can't imagine why not. I am not sure in Florence that Hispanics are the minority, they are not in Pueblo. Fewer in Canon, maybe.

Old 04-15-2007, 07:25 PM

1,394 posts, read 4,171,589 times
I like everybodys way of thinking, I am very down to earth and have no problems getting along with anyone, in fact people tell me I am to nice, so I don't know how to take that, good or bad????
I hope to meet up with some of the regulars on here once we move, you all sound like very nice people just like me. Thanks for the info. Yorkie

Old 04-15-2007, 10:51 PM

Thanks COflower, Nadine, Amy and Yorkie Mom! Yes like Yorkie Mom stated, everyone on here is nice. We all know about the one who doesnt like the area. I wish him a speedy move to wherever he wants to go, I notice east coast something in one of his posts but anyway, hope he gets to where he wants to go.

COflower, Nadine, Amy and Yorkie Mom, your info has really helped me to see Canon City is what I thought, a nice town. There are bad apples in every city including racists but it helps to know a city is welcoming. I think Canon City citizens did the right thing in reporting anyone doing illegal things. That just shows a community looking out for its city. I feel like Canon City would be a friendly town like Durango is.

Nadine, I am looking for a place later in my life for a place to retire in, years down the road, but I wouldnt mind buying some land somewhere and just kind of putting down some roots and I will be saving through the years to invest in a home later. So really not looking for a career later. It is sad Colorado, it seems, is becoming a place just for rich people. Few places left for the middle class folks. I truly understand Yorkie Moms dilema about having to look for a reasonable place to live. Canon City at least looks like a place middle class people can still afford to live there. Thanks for the great posts all!

Old 04-16-2007, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Thanks COflower, Nadine, Amy and Yorkie Mom! Yes like Yorkie Mom stated, everyone on here is nice. We all know about the one who doesnt like the area. I wish him a speedy move to wherever he wants to go, I notice east coast something in one of his posts but anyway, hope he gets to where he wants to go.

COflower, Nadine, Amy and Yorkie Mom, your info has really helped me to see Canon City is what I thought, a nice town. There are bad apples in every city including racists but it helps to know a city is welcoming. I think Canon City citizens did the right thing in reporting anyone doing illegal things. That just shows a community looking out for its city. I feel like Canon City would be a friendly town like Durango is.

Nadine, I am looking for a place later in my life for a place to retire in, years down the road, but I wouldn't mind buying some land somewhere and just kind of putting down some roots and I will be saving through the years to invest in a home later. So really not looking for a career later. It is sad Colorado, it seems, is becoming a place just for rich people. Few places left for the middle class folks. I truly understand Yorkie Moms dilema about having to look for a reasonable place to live. Canon City at least looks like a place middle class people can still afford to live there. Thanks for the great posts all!
Prices on land have gone up. We are growing too fast like everywhere else. It is true tho. Canon does have a high rate of retired people that have moved here. Some from areas that they could sell their homes and live real high on the hog here. Also old age is cover quite well. Quit a few nursing homes, assisted living, care facilities.

The disgruntled kid was topical tho. Most kids can't wait to leave home. Many when they met the real world move back in with Mom and Dad. Many end up coming back because they realize it is a good place to raise kids. Most when they grow up some(some never grow up) Realize Mom and Dad did the best they could. Their turn is coming to deal with ungrateful kids that know everything. Thankfully parents have a tendency to get smarter the older we get.

Last edited by Nadine; 04-16-2007 at 09:07 AM.. Reason: my cat can't spell, she just types. LOL

Old 04-17-2007, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadine View Post
Prices on land have gone up. We are growing too fast like everywhere else. It is true tho. Canon does have a high rate of retired people that have moved here. Some from areas that they could sell their homes and live real high on the hog here. Also old age is cover quite well. Quit a few nursing homes, assisted living, care facilities.

The disgruntled kid was topical tho. Most kids can't wait to leave home. Many when they met the real world move back in with Mom and Dad. Many end up coming back because they realize it is a good place to raise kids. Most when they grow up some(some never grow up) Realize Mom and Dad did the best they could. Their turn is coming to deal with ungrateful kids that know everything. Thankfully parents have a tendency to get smarter the older we get.
Thanks Nadine for the info. Yes it seems kids are very eager to get out on their own until the real bills start coming in and then it is like, "Wow, living with mom and pops wasnt so bad afterall!"

Old 04-17-2007, 06:19 PM

1,394 posts, read 4,171,589 times
I will be out that way around the first week of June, so I hope I can find a nice home with any luck!!!! Wish me well, is there many houses on the market right now in Cañon City??? I am getting excited!!!! Thanks everyone!!!

Old 04-17-2007, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkie_Mom View Post
I will be out that way around the first week of June, so I hope I can find a nice home with any luck!!!! Wish me well, is there many houses on the market right now in Cañon City??? I am getting excited!!!! Thanks everyone!!!
Sure there are. Drive around there are some that are for sale by owner. In fact the small house next door will be up for sale come sometime in May. My neighbor is leaving, she recently got married and he is in Washington. It is a small home on an acre of land. Garage and another building. So I know they are no shortage of homes for sale. New and old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado