U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-15-2007, 11:43 PM
 
Location: Colorado
1,394 posts, read 3,884,215 times
Reputation: 922

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadine View Post
Sorry I did not answer you earlier. Hope you still see this. There are a number real clean older motels in Canon that are not chains. They of coarse are less expensive. Some have kitchens and of coarse the chains. Check the along Main Street on east and more west end also on hiway 50 (Royal Gorge Boulevard) Cloud City Hotel on 8th and Main. Try this website. www.canoncafe.com too.
I got your advice, if you know of any other motels let me know. The ones I found were pretty costley, but they were chains. Thanks again for your help. I hope you will be around when we get out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-16-2007, 10:27 AM
 
Location: Colorado
431 posts, read 2,507,296 times
Reputation: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkie_Mom View Post
I got your advice, if you know of any other motels let me know. The ones I found were pretty costley, but they were chains. Thanks again for your help. I hope you will be around when we get out there.
Check your PM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2007, 01:55 PM
 
Location: N. IL
11 posts, read 27,754 times
Reputation: 16
Default Areas 10-25 miles from Canon City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadine View Post


You might look into some of the ranches that are breaking up Red Canyon way. There are several. It is such a shame. From the sounds of it, you would really enjoy that area. It has a little different climate than close around Canon but has lots of open areas including Red Canyon Park. It is owned by the city and there is a great deal of BLM land surrounding too. Red Canyon Park is not city type park just an area with many interesting outcroppings of the very red soil and rock that Colorado is named for. Similar to but not commercialized or as extensive as the Red Rocks in Colorado Springs. Few picnic tables sat in a couple areas. Some caves there but is mostly a pinon tree type terrain Right now it is being torn up with non caring bikers, quads, jeeps etc. They are trying to put a stop to it. I think it is a losing battle until people start turning those people in.

Hi Nadine,

We just bought a very good Benchmark Maps "COLORADO Road & Recreation Atlas" 141 pages. Only $16.47 at Amazon.com Pages 100-101 have a large, very detailed map of Canon City and about a 25 mile radius.

Red Canyon Road is just N. of Canon City, and I see only Crouse Ranch, just N. of a lumber mill. Is that the one selling parcels? or further N ?

We would like to get out about 10-20 miles from Canon City. Maybe N.E. on Hwy 115 and W. in/near Beaver Creek State Wildlife area. Maybe near Adelaide on Phantom Canyon Road. Is that a good area ? How about N.E. to Fountain? I'll soon check the stats here on Fountain and Adelaide.

Is Ft. Carson Army Installation to the East partly open to the public for hunting, hiking, camping* ? Probably not.

Thanks for any more info.

Peace and progress,

Brother Dave
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2007, 02:28 PM
 
Location: Colorado
431 posts, read 2,507,296 times
Reputation: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Dave View Post
Hi Nadine,

We just bought a very good Benchmark Maps "COLORADO Road & Recreation Atlas" 141 pages. Only $16.47 at Amazon.com Pages 100-101 have a large, very detailed map of Canon City and about a 25 mile radius.

Red Canyon Road is just N. of Canon City, and I see only Crouse Ranch, just N. of a lumber mill. Is that the one selling parcels? or further N ?

We would like to get out about 10-20 miles from Canon City. Maybe N.E. on Hwy 115 and W. in/near Beaver Creek State Wildlife area. Maybe near Adelaide on Phantom Canyon Road. Is that a good area ? How about N.E. to Fountain? I'll soon check the stats here on Fountain and Adelaide.

Is Ft. Carson Army Installation to the East partly open to the public for hunting, hiking, camping* ? Probably not.

Thanks for any more info.

Peace and progress,

Brother Dave
Father north. Your map should show Red Canyon even farther. Dilley Ranch, is selling parcels now. Canterbury Ranch has sold and that is to be broken up also. The Like Ranch too I understand is for sale. If you continue north on that road, it becomes Shelf Road. That goes to Victor and Cripple Creek. Phantom Canyon is east. It too goes to Victor, Cripple Creek. There is some water in a creek there but for the most part is drier than the other that follows 4Mile Creek. I do know that a friend of ours bought a parcel of Dilley Ranch. They have water rights, don't know how old they are but at least they have them. Fort Carson--Nope. It is buttoned down can not drive thro like we used to. 9/11 was the stop and fences up that were not there before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2007, 04:54 PM
 
4,406 posts, read 5,337,510 times
Reputation: 2892
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadine View Post
Sorry I did not answer you earlier. Hope you still see this. There are a number real clean older motels in Canon that are not chains. They of coarse are less expensive. Some have kitchens and of coarse the chains. Check the along Main Street on east and more west end also on hiway 50 (Royal Gorge Boulevard) Cloud City Hotel on 8th and Main. Try this website. www.canoncafe.com too.
I too am considering this area and have already been out looking at properties. The website you mention doesn't seem to bring up anything about a motel. I'm looking at staying about a month. I saw some older non-chain motels along the main street (US50) but hesitated to check them out when I was there. I saw some seedy characters on motorcycles. I'm looking for quiet mostly (hence the disinterest in motorcycles!), not near a street. I think I need to be there a while to really get the feel for the place and decide if it's right for me.

Most of what I've read on C-D has not been enthusiastic about Canon City with some labeling it the worst place in the state. I'm not sure what to think. The area appeals to me because of the landscape, the surrounding natural attractions, and the climate. I live in AZ, so I'm not used to anything below freezing. I grew up in snow and Midwest cold, but left many years ago. I've looked up in the mountains at about 7500' elevation and have found some very adorable properties, but the climate there is very different. The views are phenomenal, but the amenities are few, requiring trips to town fairly regularly which gets to be expensive. I also like the agricultural land that's nearby because, pardon my hysteria, if the government collapses or something BIG happens, where will people get food? and water? My next move takes those things into consideration and the Canon City, upper Arkansas Valley areas are attractive.

Thanks for any assistance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2007, 10:21 PM
 
Location: Colorado
431 posts, read 2,507,296 times
Reputation: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
I too am considering this area and have already been out looking at properties. The website you mention doesn't seem to bring up anything about a motel. I'm looking at staying about a month. I saw some older non-chain motels along the main street (US50) but hesitated to check them out when I was there. I saw some seedy characters on motorcycles. I'm looking for quiet mostly (hence the disinterest in motorcycles!), not near a street. I think I need to be there a while to really get the feel for the place and decide if it's right for me.

Most of what I've read on C-D has not been enthusiastic about Canon City with some labeling it the worst place in the state. I'm not sure what to think. The area appeals to me because of the landscape, the surrounding natural attractions, and the climate. I live in AZ, so I'm not used to anything below freezing. I grew up in snow and Midwest cold, but left many years ago. I've looked up in the mountains at about 7500' elevation and have found some very adorable properties, but the climate there is very different. The views are phenomenal, but the amenities are few, requiring trips to town fairly regularly which gets to be expensive. I also like the agricultural land that's nearby because, pardon my hysteria, if the government collapses or something BIG happens, where will people get food? and water? My next move takes those things into consideration and the Canon City, upper Arkansas Valley areas are attractive.

Thanks for any assistance.
Gee, I didn't know we were so bad. To a big city person, I am sure we are. But then I think the same about the big city. As to Motels there are the chains but with tourist season coming on they will be high. Those non chain on Main are nice not fancy but clean and safe. Main St. and Hiway 50 are not the same. Hiway 50 is Royal Gorge Bvd. Motorcycles are everywhere and yep they look seedy but for the most part it is all in the looks. There are tours and we are one of the favorite places to go. Royal Gorge Bridge, gateway to the Rockies etc. I might not agree with your hysteria but we have always raised a large garden 5500 ft is good for growing. Hubby raises the best tomatoes ever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2007, 05:42 PM
 
3 posts, read 10,691 times
Reputation: 12
I've been reading through all this info and found it very interesting. I lived in Canon for 5 summers. Being a transplant to Colorado, I found it a supercute town and very inexpensive. It is in my opinion a little backwoods?? Most of the kids there are a bit sheltered (I can say this...my boyfriend grew up in the area) but it has been changing steadily over the years with people retiring there and moving out from the cities, ie CO Springs. No one has seemed to mention that the population booms in the summers. Lots of tourists, raft guides, and bikers. But it gets HOT in the summer. I remember a temps over 100 deg. Dry or not, that's hot. It can be clicky as one person said. And there is not much to do if you are not into the outdoors. It's your typical small town. Good luck to you. Check out the rafting and I think you just missed Apple Blossom Festival. (Farmer's market/art show/bike ralley). Check out Colon Orchards for fresh veggies and the Abbey winery to do some wine tasting. There seems to be a lot of worry about "bad" hotels. There's a great hotel on Main St called the St Cloud but be careful, its haunted!! I would also like to warn all those exploring the canyons around the city...there is a pretty good population of mountain lions around there. Keep that in mind when you are purchasing homes in these new "ranch" areas. Hope this helps!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-19-2007, 10:36 AM
 
Location: Colorado
22 posts, read 80,619 times
Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountain girl 2337 View Post
I've been reading through all this info and found it very interesting. I lived in Canon for 5 summers. Being a transplant to Colorado, I found it a supercute town and very inexpensive. It is in my opinion a little backwoods?? Most of the kids there are a bit sheltered (I can say this...my boyfriend grew up in the area) but it has been changing steadily over the years with people retiring there and moving out from the cities, ie CO Springs. No one has seemed to mention that the population booms in the summers. Lots of tourists, raft guides, and bikers. But it gets HOT in the summer. I remember a temps over 100 deg. Dry or not, that's hot. It can be clicky as one person said. And there is not much to do if you are not into the outdoors. It's your typical small town. Good luck to you. Check out the rafting and I think you just missed Apple Blossom Festival. (Farmer's market/art show/bike ralley). Check out Colon Orchards for fresh veggies and the Abbey winery to do some wine tasting. There seems to be a lot of worry about "bad" hotels. There's a great hotel on Main St called the St Cloud but be careful, its haunted!! I would also like to warn all those exploring the canyons around the city...there is a pretty good population of mountain lions around there. Keep that in mind when you are purchasing homes in these new "ranch" areas. Hope this helps!!
Backwoods? Kids sheltered? Aww---gee whiz maam --It that a bad thing???? Usen hicks are sure out of touch with the crime, no knowing your neighbor, knowing what our kids are doing, where they are. Being involve with them and the real educated smart people that don't live in our dumb backwood town. But I will say this. Born raised and lived here for 50yrs. Hot, sure has been for the last few yrs with the dought but the record high is 103 or there about. Maybe hits a 100, 3 or 4 days out of the yrs in normal yrs. I have seen exactly 1 mt lion and I live in those ranch areas, us backwood hicks use our heads about doing things to draw them in . During the dought when they were looking for food 2 came into the Canon area. None in Canon City proper. But then us backwood low class people don't know a lion if we see one. 5 summers, o'my that really makes you an expert. I don't think you need to make it 6. Would not want to expose you to us hicks too much. Mountaingirl???? Not bloody likely

Last edited by canontiger; 05-19-2007 at 10:46 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-19-2007, 10:53 AM
 
3 posts, read 10,691 times
Reputation: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by canontiger View Post
Backwoods? Kids sheltered? Aww---gee whiz maam --It that a bad thing???? Usen hicks are sure out of touch with the crime, no knowing your neighbor, knowing what our kids are doing, where they are. Being involve with them and the real educated smart people that don't live in our dumb backwood town. But I will say this. Born raised and lived here for 50yrs. Hot, sure has been for the last few yrs with the dought but the record high is 103 or there about. Maybe hits a 100, 3 or 4 days out of the yrs in normal yrs. I have seen exactly 1 mt lion and I live in those ranch areas, us backwood hicks use our heads about doing things to draw them in . During the dought when they were looking for food 2 came into the Canon area. None in Canon City proper. But then us backwood low class people don't know a lion if we see one. 5 summers, o'my that really makes you an expert. I don't think you need to make it 6. Would not want to expose you to us hicks too much. Mountaingirl???? Not bloody likely


I didn't mean it as a bad thing. I was giving my perspective. Don't take things so personal. Someone from a city should know what to expect. I like your town. Nevermind.......see what I mean????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-19-2007, 12:58 PM
 
4,406 posts, read 5,337,510 times
Reputation: 2892
Quote:
Originally Posted by canontiger View Post
Backwoods? Kids sheltered? Aww---gee whiz maam --It that a bad thing???? Usen hicks are sure out of touch with the crime, no knowing your neighbor, knowing what our kids are doing, where they are. Being involve with them and the real educated smart people that don't live in our dumb backwood town. But I will say this. Born raised and lived here for 50yrs. Hot, sure has been for the last few yrs with the dought but the record high is 103 or there about. Maybe hits a 100, 3 or 4 days out of the yrs in normal yrs. I have seen exactly 1 mt lion and I live in those ranch areas, us backwood hicks use our heads about doing things to draw them in . During the dought when they were looking for food 2 came into the Canon area. None in Canon City proper. But then us backwood low class people don't know a lion if we see one. 5 summers, o'my that really makes you an expert. I don't think you need to make it 6. Would not want to expose you to us hicks too much. Mountaingirl???? Not bloody likely
You know, as another person considering Canon City (CC) your post did nothing to convince me that she was inaccurate, and even made CC look bad by insulting her. Her 'backwood' reference seems to have hit a nerve. In some sense, she's right. CC isn't an Aspen or a Telluride, nor even a Fort Collins. It doesn't have any big city sophistication, and, in fact, maybe that's a good thing. It's a city set back into the hills, sheltered from storms, in a wonderful part of the state. Why not repost and say something positive?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top