U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 08:49 AM
mdz

622 posts, read 2,369,336 times

Advertisements

Here's an update, she is OK.

I am ready to spread my wings!!!!!!

mdz
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2007, 10:00 PM

214 posts, read 1,173,979 times
Too spendy in Canon City? Ready to spread her wings? Oklahoma after all that desire fo mountains?

Man how this thread's taken a spin.

Old 06-12-2007, 10:13 PM

4,406 posts, read 5,320,203 times
I've been expressing interest in a property near Canon City as well as other properties in the city itself. I'd like help in determining the climate up where one particular property is. It's up in an area called Colorado Acres in Cotopaxi, up SR-28 west of town off US-50. It's 23 miles from Canon City and sits at an elevation of roughly 7,500'. Westcliffe (at 7,900') is 21 miles to the south. Obviously, there's a difference between Canon City's climate at 5,300' and these other areas. I'm hoping the area I'm interested in isn't as 'bad' as Westcliffe in that it is below freezing on more than 220 days a year and gets 90" of snow each winter. With Westcliffe sitting in a long bowl-shaped valley (like Alamosa does), I'm assuming it's climate will be more harsh than a nearby area sloping eastwards towards Canon City. People I spoke with said that the most snow they've seen on the ground has been around 12" in the last four years. If anyone can help me out, I'd appreciate it immensely. It's a big factor in determining if I buy or not.

THANKS to all. And I love the area of Canon City!!

Old 06-13-2007, 08:28 AM

431 posts, read 2,501,735 times
I spoke to YorkieMom last nite. They are still in OK, leaving for home this morn, I think she said. She does not like it there and has decided defiantly to come to Canon City, Colorado. High humidity where ever they are in OK and as I understand that is what she wants to get away from. Will rent something and look for a home to buy, I think. Anyway that was what she was originally going to do before plans changed and they went to OK. I told her I thought it a good idea to do so instead of buying just anything in a hurry. Will be moving in July. She says she will post when home.

Old 06-14-2007, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
I've been expressing interest in a property near Canon City as well as other properties in the city itself. I'd like help in determining the climate up where one particular property is. It's up in an area called Colorado Acres in Cotopaxi, up SR-28 west of town off US-50. It's 23 miles from Canon City and sits at an elevation of roughly 7,500'. Westcliffe (at 7,900') is 21 miles to the south. Obviously, there's a difference between Canon City's climate at 5,300' and these other areas. I'm hoping the area I'm interested in isn't as 'bad' as Westcliffe in that it is below freezing on more than 220 days a year and gets 90" of snow each winter. With Westcliffe sitting in a long bowl-shaped valley (like Alamosa does), I'm assuming it's climate will be more harsh than a nearby area sloping eastwards towards Canon City. People I spoke with said that the most snow they've seen on the ground has been around 12" in the last four years. If anyone can help me out, I'd appreciate it immensely. It's a big factor in determining if I buy or not.

THANKS to all. And I love the area of Canon City!!
I happen to love the Wet Mountain Valley. It does not have the same hard winters that Alamosa. But it does set at 8000 ft. so of coarse it can be cold and have snow. You are correct that the area you speak of as having different weather than Canon City proper. There is so many ranches being broke up and of coarse all of these have to have a different name as is the fashion now it seems, that Colorado Acres does not really mean a thing to me. But to judge the snow fall the last 4 yrs will give you a false norm. We have been in a drought for about 6 yrs and just starting to come out of it. Last yr we got more of a norm but are still behind. If this area is on the high area above Cotopaxi, it will not get the protection from the elements that Cotopaxi gets. Being Cotopaxi sets in the canyon. Me, I would pick a site that is protected by outcroppings etc not set up on top of nowhere for a view. That will catch the bad weather.

Old 06-18-2007, 06:52 AM

14 posts, read 40,237 times
Default Neighborhoods in Canon City

We're looking at possibly moving to the area, too. I was looking at house listings on Realtor.com and some of those and I was wondering if there are any neighborhoods we should be cautioned about.

I've read through most of this thread and I'm aware that a lot of the 'negative' stuff is naysaying and garbage, but virtually every town has its undesirables and its criminal element. Can someone tell me what part of Canon City that is so we can avoid it?

Some of the houses for sale look like Charlie Manson could be living in the basement. Is this normal? I know I'll offend people in asking, but do people take pride in their homes and yards, etc? It's a serious question because where we live now a lot of people tend to leave abandoned cars in their front yard on blocks, tarps covering old bathtubs on the porch, etc. We'd kind of like to get away from that....

Old 06-18-2007, 08:05 AM

There is no specific answer to bad neighborhoods. Yes there are some places that yds are not taken care of, of coarse. You may see more of what I call my husbands trash stash, which is some lumber, posts, fencing etc. back behind the barn. That you will see more in the areas that are more rural that need this sort of repair supply. But there are more and more of those areas that have those rules made by the residents too. Canon was an ag town plus of coarse the prisons. Prisons are more but the ag is disappearing. Except for town proper and those new areas, it still does give the rural appeal. I can tell you just from reading the paper some places that seem to have more problems with the law. Williamsburg and the low cost apts near the Sheriff's dept(of all things) seem to be in the paper more than other areas. Otherwise when there is anything it is spotty. Same with unkept yards. But there certainly are people who have pride in their yds and property. You need to come and just drive around. Canon area is not that large.

Last edited by Nadine; 06-18-2007 at 08:15 AM.. Reason: clearify

Old 06-18-2007, 10:58 AM

1,394 posts, read 3,879,999 times
Hi everyone, I am back and will post more later after getting caught up on here. I am fine, and do plan on moving to Cañon City as soon as I can get things in order.
I am sorry you were all worried and I didn't mean for it to happen that way, I will explain that all later also. I will be needing to repack after I get things under control here, laundry etc.
It is a long story, but I am ok and back home until I can get a date set for moving. Nadine is a sweetheart, and I will be happy to see her again once my daughter and I move out there. Take care and I will post later tonight, thanks for keeping me in your thoughts. Yorkie_Mom

Old 06-20-2007, 12:17 AM

1,394 posts, read 3,879,999 times
Cañon City is a beautiful little town, Nadine is very good at telling you just how things are and is very truthful with her answers. I love the town, it is so easy to find what you want to where you don't get lost.
Perfect size with a lot of great and friendly people, very clean other then a few houses here and there, and beautiful scenery that is breath taking. I will be moving there the 1st of July, just trying to figure out how to get my things moved. It will be my daughter and I, and we are both excited about going back and making it our home.
Oklahoma is a nice state, but the humidity is so thick, I couldn't breath, and it does not have the mountains, it is a long story, but I am glad that I now know where my home will be. I also have found a sweet and dear friend, Nadine who has helped me through all of this, and can't wait to meet up for lunch or coffee once I am moved and settled in. Thanks Nadine, for being so sweet and helpful.
We had someone look at our house tonight so I hope it sells, and then I can look for a house once I get out there, but for the mean time, an apartment will be just fine as long as we have the mountains.
Colorado is the best place to live, and Cañon City has my vote for being #1, I hope the winters will be mild, compared to Minnesota they should be a piece of cake. Thanks for everything Nadine, she is the best!!!! Yorkie

Old 06-20-2007, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkie_Mom View Post
Cañon City is a beautiful little town, Nadine is very good at telling you just how things are and is very truthful with her answers. I love the town, it is so easy to find what you want to where you don't get lost.
Perfect size with a lot of great and friendly people, very clean other then a few houses here and there, and beautiful scenery that is breath taking. I will be moving there the 1st of July, just trying to figure out how to get my things moved. It will be my daughter and I, and we are both excited about going back and making it our home.
Oklahoma is a nice state, but the humidity is so thick, I couldn't breath, and it does not have the mountains, it is a long story, but I am glad that I now know where my home will be. I also have found a sweet and dear friend, Nadine who has helped me through all of this, and can't wait to meet up for lunch or coffee once I am moved and settled in. Thanks Nadine, for being so sweet and helpful.
We had someone look at our house tonight so I hope it sells, and then I can look for a house once I get out there, but for the mean time, an apartment will be just fine as long as we have the mountains.
Colorado is the best place to live, and Cañon City has my vote for being #1, I hope the winters will be mild, compared to Minnesota they should be a piece of cake. Thanks for everything Nadine, she is the best!!!! Yorkie
OH My, thanks for the praises but I and Canon really don't have halos, long way from. Are you not bringing your little Yorkie?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado