U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 03:47 PM

1,394 posts, read 3,878,293 times

Advertisements

Your very welcome Nadine, we will be bringing the Yorkie with us, just need to find a place that will let us have her. You have been a great help, and thanks again from the bottom of my heart. I can't wait to get together with you again, it was fun. Take care, Yorkie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2007, 05:28 PM

Update, we found a apartment, a very nice one in a good neighborhood, and my daughter, our Yorkie and I will be moving there in the middle of June, so it will be a happy ending, now to get busy with packing. I will see you all out that way once we get settled in. You guys have all been great and thank you so much. Take care, Yorkie

Old 07-01-2007, 03:28 PM

16 posts, read 36,279 times
Hi nadine and yorkie mom
I have learned so much about this area from you! It sounds wonderful there. I did read someone's mention of prisons there. Where are they, and how aware of their presence are the folks in town?
Yorkie...so glad you have found a place to settle into while you look!
Lisa

Old 07-01-2007, 04:07 PM

431 posts, read 2,499,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisaonthemove View Post
Hi nadine and yorkie mom
I have learned so much about this area from you! It sounds wonderful there. I did read someone's mention of prisons there. Where are they, and how aware of their presence are the folks in town?
Yorkie...so glad you have found a place to settle into while you look!
Lisa
The prisons are our largest employer. There is state and federal. Canon City has always had prisons. The Territorial Prison is and was here since back when. Many cities have prisons, jails etc. No one thinks anything about it, we just happen to have the orginal and largest in Co. You got to have somewhere to house the bad guys. ---- Some are east of town and Territorial is on the west end. The Federals are SW of Canon nearer to Florence about 15 miles away.

Old 07-01-2007, 04:09 PM

431 posts, read 2,499,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkie_Mom View Post
Update, we found a apartment, a very nice one in a good neighborhood, and my daughter, our Yorkie and I will be moving there in the middle of June, so it will be a happy ending, now to get busy with packing. I will see you all out that way once we get settled in. You guys have all been great and thank you so much. Take care, Yorkie
I think she means middle of July.

Old 07-01-2007, 04:33 PM

16 posts, read 36,279 times
Thanks, Nadine for your response!

Old 07-01-2007, 07:19 PM

Yes Nadine, you are right, I must have been in a hurry that day, it is the middle of July, I shound be there on the 15th some time that day, we will be leaving here I am guessing about 3:00am and should arrive out there around supper time, but with have the puppy with us, don't hold me to it, but it should be that day.
lisaonthemove, I just want to say, there is nothing to worry about with the prisons there, you couldn't ask for a better town then Cañon City, it is beautiful, and the way the streets are set up, it is easy to find your way around.
They also have the most friendliest people there, never had contact with a rude one. You would love Cañon City, I know it will be the place for me to live out the rest of my life. Nadine is a peach on here as well as in person, if you have any questions, she will give you an honest answer, as best as she can.
I am almost through with packing, then to make a last minute list, it will be so nice once I get there and then unpack, it will be heaven. Feel free to contact either one of us and we will do our best to help you out with answers. Take care, Yorkie

Old 07-12-2007, 12:34 PM

3 posts, read 7,523 times
Default Another point of view.....

Hi all, just thought I'd log on and post a different point of view about Canon City and Fremont County, from an outsider's point of view.
Now I'm probably going to get flamed, here, but I do think a different point of view would be helpful for some.

I lived in Canon City for 12 years. We moved there for my husband's job. Don't misunderstand me, I have a very open mind and we tried very hard, but in the end, I can honestly say that I did not like Canon. At times I really hated it. There's some wonderful things about the area; It can be beautiful, the weather can be great, when others are struggling in the winter it stays warmer in Canon. It is central to lots of interesting destinations, like Salida and Colo. Springs. It does have some better stores and restaurants now, but when we moved there there was not one nice coffee shop, not one good clothing store (still isn't unless you love Wal-Mart). Most people go to Pueblo or Springs to shop and eat out. Speaking of Wal-Mart they put over a dozen business out of business when they expanded.

They are trying, but it is still 20 years behind the times. Getting rid of the trailer parks along Royal Gorge Blvd. is slow but it is happening, finally. There's still a lot ugly trailer parks. There's still not much to do unless you're a barfly. The town tried to build that clock tower at the end of a very busy street, so tourists would get trapped in the downtown. Thank goodness that didn't happen, but still the clock tower project became a laughing stock.

Canon has a lot of retired folks, and is mostly white. Which is fine for some. The KKK thing that the other poster mentioned is true. Canon has a community college that offers a few classes but it is really lacking. Not much diversity in that town. The people. Well, anytime you have FOURTEEN prisons -- that's right, there are FOURTEEN prisons, you will have people employed by the prison, and also some families that follow their prisoners. I tried to overlook the bad, but there is a different mentality amongst some who spend their time wrangling prisoners. Folks who work for the prisons make decent money, so that helps the economy, but there's also a lot of trash. In my opinion, a LOT. And I'm no snob, really. But Fremont County has a lot of trash.

And there's practically no zoning in city limits. Which means that your neighbor who has a big backyard might put a horse, donkey, pig, cow, chickens, whatever they want in there. I'm a horse person myself, but livestock in the city brings a lot of interesting situations.

Employment. I think you need to know someone to get a decent job in Canon. Or be related. Or wait until somebody dies, because there's hardly any decent jobs that pay. You could work at Wal-Mart, for part-time with no benefits. Very difficult to get a super job. I commuted to Pueblo for 2 different jobs while I lived there. And Pueblo ain't no picnic either.

It's hard for outsiders to fit in, and we really tried. Eventually we met a lot of great people that were like-minded, but it took a long time. For years we had very few friends. But when we moved we were in our early 20's and there's not a lot of young people there. Why? There's no university, and not much industry other than the prisons (which is the original reason we moved there).

The crime. There is crime, mostly barfights, vandalism, bored teenagers, methlabs, the same things other towns experience. Kids hang out on main street at night. There's not much of a police presence, especially at night.

Canon City is a tourist town on the way to better places. It's a truck stop. Somtimes it's nice, sometimes it's ugly. The town officials could make it a lot nicer but they're stuck in the old ways. Go ahead and try to open a nice business in that town, it's an uphill struggle. The newspaper doesn't help, it's completely biased. Any paper that is 5 pages on a weekday and one of those pages is completely devoted to Religion says something.

Canon has it's own hospital but I knew of lots of folk who schlepped to Pueblo or Colo Springs for better medical care. A friend who stayed with relatives in the Springs for a week before giving birth in a Springs hospital because she REFUSED to have her child born in the Canon hospital. Hmmmm...

Of course this is negative, because I'm offering the opposing point of view. I had a lot of good times down there, but I wouldn't move back for a million dollars.

Old 07-13-2007, 09:46 AM

42 posts, read 185,544 times
Canon City is not for a big city people that is true. As to snobbery, I don't know who you met, but snobs come in all different types as you should know. But if you only want to know people that were of the same mind as you, that tells me a great deal of why you had a problem. Not much for shopping if that is your hobby also true. As to animals only pets as in cat and dog, within the city limits. It is not allowed or as in any city, they have to have been there and kept there before the land was in the city limits. If out for over 6 mos. They cannot be replaced. The clock tower you made so much fun of is up. Which she did not mention is a historical clock that was on the original court house. Yes, There was a great deal of controversy as to where it should be placed. You said you lived here for 12 yrs. Did you do any volunteer work or anything to get to know the good people of the area or just feel sorry for yourself? Sure there are some creeps as anywhere. As to the prisons, she also made it sound like there are prisons everywhere. They are not. There are 3 areas. Within them are several prisons as to the level of incarceration. Area east, Territorial west, and the Federal South of Florence. As to the attitude of the people who work in law enforcement, it could be that we are more aware and maybe more suspicious because of the type of people that is dealt with day after day. As to the people that are family etc of the prisoners. There are not many that live in this area. The truth of the matter is that most are from big cities too and don't like the small towns. As to medical, I know people that live in Colorado Springs that came to have their baby in Canon. Why? they said they liked the more personal care in a small place. So, each to his own. Alto I have lived in several places in Colorado and really did not want to return to Canon. Our parents were here and we were young, I did not want them to try to take over in the name of helping. They tried. But we came back for a job. We retired from working 34 yrs at the prison. It is a hard job especially mentally. You that make fun of or run down the law inforcement would be up sh*t creek without a paddle without it. Same nuts that run down the military, religion etc. and anything else that has kept this country great and has allowed those to bi*ch about everything but never contribute to anything. Canon is not perfect nor is anywhere else. There certainly is room for improvement, so why did you not get out there and help improve? That does not mean try to make into something it is not. It is not a big city and it is in Colorado, not some other state. Oh, trailparks along Royal Gorge Bvd.? There never has been. If you really lived here 12 yrs-- well enough said.

Last edited by canyontiger2; 07-13-2007 at 09:55 AM..

Old 07-13-2007, 07:53 PM

49 posts, read 69,596 times
Default canyontiger2

I was very interested and impressed by your response to the remarks about Canon City. Not everyone would stand up for their town. The reason that I am writing you is about Canon City/Salida area. We have made the final plans to move to that are next year in the beginning 08, from Florida. And was looking to see if what they say is true on these posts. You obviously have read the majority of them, but I would like know your personal opinion. We are settled in our minds about this, please don't think that we are iffy on this at all.
We are looking at both Canon City and Salida, either or would be a breeze for us after living in Florida there is NO place on earth as expensive as here, well I guess there probably is but Florida is running a very close 1st place. I am not so concerned with employment as I am a good place to live. Looking for an apartment or a house, we are not picky people or high class we are from the west coast originally in a small town, like I said nothing fancy or special required here. We just would like to be quiet, peaceful people getting involved with our community.
I realize that some would say that moving in the winter is a bad idea but I dont see it, anytime is a good time.
Please any idea's or information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado