U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2007, 07:59 AM

42 posts, read 185,582 times

Advertisements

I believe that Canon City has been covered quite well on this thread. If you have a specific question about, I will try to answer. As to Salida, it is up the Arkansas River Canyon from Canon City. It is quite abit smaller is growing as everywhere. The weather in winter is colder etc. The altitude is higher and not good for a backyard garden. It was a railroad town and had many ranches. Like everywhere else the ranches are being broken up. Close to skiing and mts sports. In fact the town is in a mt. valley, Canon is at the base of the mts. Salida has enough business that one does not have to leave to live but like Canon, the Springs and Pueblo for serious shopping. Only you have the river canon between you and about 60 more miles. I like Salida, it is even more rural than Canon. Not much activity after 10 PM, have trouble finding a cup of coffee if you are traveling thro after that time, since the truck stop closed down. Sure miss that place, when we hunted in the Marshall Pass area we could run into town ever so often for a good feed and a shower. There has been a big influx of people from other states. Try googling Salida. Hope this helps, if not ask some specific questions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2007, 08:09 AM

3 posts, read 7,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canyontiger2 View Post
Canon City is not for a big city people that is true. As to snobbery, I don't know who you met, but snobs come in all different types as you should know. But if you only want to know people that were of the same mind as you, that tells me a great deal of why you had a problem.

Hmmm, I didn't say people in Canon are snobs, just that it's very hard for outsiders to fit in. Maybe you ought to read my post for content?

Not much for shopping if that is your hobby also true.

I don't shop as a hobby, but there are basic needs that must be met. It would be nice if there were other options than Wal-Mart. In Canon there are few.

As to animals only pets as in cat and dog, within the city limits. It is not allowed or as in any city, they have to have been there and kept there before the land was in the city limits. If out for over 6 mos. They cannot be replaced.

Yeah, that's what I'm talking about. Thanks for confirming it for me.

The clock tower you made so much fun of is up. Which she did not mention is a historical clock that was on the original court house. Yes, There was a great deal of controversy as to where it should be placed.

Well, this is kind of fragmented but I get the jist that what you didn't know was the ins and outs of just how big of a political mess that thing was. I knew a lot of the people that were on the Main Street USA project, and I heard about daily. I thought it was wonderful that someone was finally trying to revitalize the downtown area, but the original plan was to creat an actual "tourist trap".

You said you lived here for 12 yrs. Did you do any volunteer work or anything to get to know the good people of the area or just feel sorry for yourself?

As a matter fact I did. I volunteered, I worked with kids in the community, I taught private lessons. I went to the parades, the Blossom festivals, I worked at the County Fair. I opened my own business there and ran it successfully. I had a lot of fun doing those things, and I did meet a lot of great people, as I stated in my original post. But I also remember when the Canon City Tigers won state in football, and nobody came to the parade. NOBODY. I had customers visiting from out of town who stayed at the St. Cloud (when it was a working hotel) and they were stunned that our H.S. football team won State, and there were about 10 people clapping for them.

Sure there are some creeps as anywhere. As to the prisons, she also made it sound like there are prisons everywhere. They are not. There are 3 areas. Within them are several prisons as to the level of incarceration. Area east, Territorial west, and the Federal South of Florence. As to the attitude of the people who work in law enforcement, it could be that we are more aware and maybe more suspicious because of the type of people that is dealt with day after day. As to the people that are family etc of the prisoners. There are not many that live in this area.

Yeah, those CO's are more aware and more suspicious, that's why they wear their guns everywhere. Not many families of prisoners? You don't know anybody that works for Human Services, do ya?

The truth of the matter is that most are from big cities too and don't like the small towns. As to medical, I know people that live in Colorado Springs that came to have their baby in Canon. Why? they said they liked the more personal care in a small place. So, each to his own. Alto I have lived in several places in Colorado and really did not want to return to Canon. Our parents were here and we were young, I did not want them to try to take over in the name of helping. They tried. But we came back for a job. We retired from working 34 yrs at the prison. It is a hard job especially mentally.

You settled.

You that make fun of or run down the law inforcement would be up sh*t creek without a paddle without it.

You as a CO know darn well that those who don't make it into the prisons go into law enforcement in Fremont Co. The cops make less $$ than the CO's. That's a fact.

Same nuts that run down the military, religion etc. and anything else that has kept this country great and has allowed those to bi*ch about everything but never contribute to anything. Canon is not perfect nor is anywhere else. There certainly is room for improvement, so why did you not get out there and help improve? That does not mean try to make into something it is not. It is not a big city and it is in Colorado, not some other state. Oh, trailparks along Royal Gorge Bvd.? There never has been. If you really lived here 12 yrs-- well enough said.

You don't remember the line of trailerparks that ran the North side of RGB from about Canon Inn to the Knotty Pine Motel? You're attacking me like I did not "get out there and help improve"? You don't know me or how I spent my 12 years in your fair city, so keep your mouth shut. Hey, I'm glad you like Canon. You can have it. Can't I have my opinion too? Don't the wonderful people who read this forum deserve to hear an opposing point of view?

Old 07-14-2007, 09:12 AM

49 posts, read 69,675 times
Default Canyontiger2

Questions I figure you would mean like the employment situation, housing, cost of living etc.

The cost of living has to only be LOWER then here in Florida. I know that here rent for a studio apartment can cost a person 800-1000 dollars a month so you can only imagine what a house or apartment would cost you, this is the reality of Florida, they say that there are more people leaving then moving but who knows who is right or wrong.

We have a little furniture making business on the side of our regular job's here, it has always had to be a side job please do not get me wrong we are not weathly by any means and do not expect to do the furniture thing full time when we move but is there any interest in the area for items such as this? We sell items on a regular basis, and was wanting to move the whole shabang there too

We have read about the prisons in the area, not to worry I have several relatives that are correction officers and have no problem with the law or anyone who works for law enforcement, a job is a job and if it makes you happy and feeds your family then go for it.

We both currently work in hospitality, I as a Front Desk Manager and my spouse as a Chief Engineer at a beach property of 200 rooms. We are not concerned about working in the same industry there, nor could I be the least bit concerned about where we work as long as we could find gainful employment somewhere, as I stated before were are pomp and circumstance type people, we just want to live a quiet life with lots of things to do and lots of places to go.

We are not young people here either, we are what I call middle to young aged, after all age is just a number and not how you feel.

We could use some snow for winter havent seen it in a very long time, trees, rivers, birds, deer, bear whatever we are looking forward to it, and along with all that some places to volunteer our time to our community.

So you can see Canyontiger2 really anything you or anyone else can tell us would just help not hinder, our plans are cemented. We are looking forward to movin on up.

Old 07-14-2007, 09:21 AM

20,310 posts, read 37,810,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outasightoutamind View Post
.....cost of living has to only be LOWER then here in Florida.....our plans are cemented. We are looking forward to movin on up.
You're gonna love Colorado! s/Mike from back east

Old 07-14-2007, 09:52 AM
Yac

5,875 posts, read 6,294,617 times
Everybody calm down or infractions will follow.
Yac.

Old 07-14-2007, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4everlearning View Post
You don't remember the line of trailerparks that ran the North side of RGB from about Canon Inn to the Knotty Pine Motel? You're attacking me like I did not "get out there and help improve"? You don't know me or how I spent my 12 years in your fair city, so keep your mouth shut. Hey, I'm glad you like Canon. You can have it. Can't I have my opinion too? Don't the wonderful people who read this forum deserve to hear an opposing point of view?
At one time Highway 115 was hiway 50. Then they changed the route to what is highway 50 as you know it. Main Street ran from 1st east to the area you are speaking of and was and is called East Main. Those trailer courts SOUTH SIDE. used to be motels and when the hi way changed, the owners, to keep their livelihood turned them into small apts and trailer courts. None on the North. Any that were north were on side streets off Fremont Drive, not Royal Gorge Blvd or River as that was the original name. The trailercourts were on East Main an very old business district.

Canon is hard to start new business in but if you do not appreciate the old or history involved and the traditions then yes you will hate the place. People here do have problems with pushy people telling us how ignorant we are and they are here to save us. That will be true of any small town.

As a matter of fact, it is still true whether you think I don't know anything or anyone anywhere, the majority of inmates families do NOT live here. If they did the population would be twice, maybe more of what it is. You lived here 12 yrs you say but don't know the difference between E Main and Hiway 50/Royal Gorge Blvd or North from South? I have lived here 19 yrs, left for 10, came back for 42 yrs. I was born and raised here. Went to school here, graduated here. Now just who knows most about this town and our people ???

Oh as to not supporting the parade for the football team. Remember the time of day and the day? Most people were at work as well as many had problems with the big deal they were making of it. Several other sports have won state and no parades for them and they did it as a 4A school. Football that yr played 3A against schools like Florence when they won state. The next yr they were 4A again. Not so hard to win state against the little guys. I did attend so did many others so you are very mistaken to say no one showed. The area down below 9th nearer the school up to and on the football field had lots of high school kids and families. I am not main street nor do I want to be. There is more bickering among those people in those few blocks than the civil war. Why? because of the people that want to change not improve the old buildings etc that are there. And there are some beautiful old building on Main Street.

It IS a tourist Town and to keep tourists coming you have to have something of interest and changing the old will not do it. Keeping it and improving will.

As to you telling me to shut up, that's mature! When someone says they lived somewhere for 12 yrs and do not even know the street they are complaining about and don't know North from South, little hard to believe them about anything.

Last edited by canyontiger2; 07-14-2007 at 02:38 PM..

Old 07-14-2007, 02:53 PM

Default To all Canon City resident's

I am very sorry if I offended anyone by asking the question's that I did. We were simply looking into moving to a great little community and perhaps molding into the norm. I sincerly apologize for any comment's or question's posed that was offensive.
We are simple people who do not require alot, we are just looking for a place to call home where we are happy, and hopefully make some new friends. God bless all of you, and I hope that everyone will still answer my questions.

Old 07-14-2007, 02:55 PM

Talking Thanks Mikefrombackeast

We are certainly looking forward to our move, hopefully the months pass fast. Thanks for your comment.

Old 07-14-2007, 03:03 PM

4,406 posts, read 5,319,371 times
Drive west of Canon City about 11 miles on US50 to Parkdale which is where US50 first crosses the Arkansas river, then up CR-28 about 12 miles to an area called Glen Vista and also Colorado Acres. I'm seriously considering this area. Can anyone tell me how different the weather is there vs. Canon City proper? It's about 2000' higher than town and I'm concerned about winter weather (since I currently live where there's snow once every 20 years!). Westcliffe is 20 miles south from there and 500' higher up (also much more exposed than the area I'm interested in). They get about 90" of snow annually while Canon City gets less than half that.

I've driven all across the state, spending more than 40 days in the past few years searching for my little spot and perhaps (fingers crossed) I've found it.

Thanks for any help.

Old 07-14-2007, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outasightoutamind View Post
I am very sorry if I offended anyone by asking the question's that I did. We were simply looking into moving to a great little community and perhaps molding into the norm. I sincerly apologize for any comment's or question's posed that was offensive.
We are simple people who do not require alot, we are just looking for a place to call home where we are happy, and hopefully make some new friends. God bless all of you, and I hope that everyone will still answer my questions.
I do not think they were referring to you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado