Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2008, 01:56 AM

2 posts, read 5,557 times

Advertisements

Hi I know of a great realtor in Canon City who works on weekends, if you want her information let me know. She just sold us a house and is a very great lady!
We love Canon City and are very glad we choose this area to move to, yeah some people are not as friendly as where we came from, but they are the ones missing out not us.
There are many friendly helpful people here also, and as for the schools, I am getting all A's and B's so the schools can't be all that bad. Canon City has its good with the bad like many other towns, but as for us we are so very glad to be living here. Let me know if you have any other questions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2008, 11:57 AM

17,988 posts, read 27,444,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoHermit View Post
I would like to give you some information about the Cotter Corp. Uranium mill. There has been so many stories about the place over the years that they have become local urban legend's. A lot of the things said about Cotters have been way over blown and a lot of it just flat made up by people that don't know what they are talking about.
The mill was built back in 1958 and the worst mistake that they made was they didn't take any water and soil samples to set a base line with. What people don't know is that there was a Zinc plant located in the same area that operated from the 1920's till the 1940's. The Zinc plant was located a mile or two northeast of where the Cotter mill was built.
The Zinc plant used a lot of different nasty chemicals in there processing and they didn't even use a tailing's pond for there waist. They just let it run down the wash and into Grape Creek and on into the Arkansas river. At one time, around 1979-1980 there was a guy bagging the waist from the Zinc plant and selling it as plant food called "Black Gold" because it had a very high nitrogen content. The thing is, a lot of the contamination that Cotters has been blamed for was already there from the Zinc plant before Cotters was even built.
What should give you a good idea of how safe things are around Cotters is to take a look at the wild life in the area. There has always been a large number of deer around the mill and they have always been in perfect health. In the late 60s there were a couple of doe's that had twins every year.
As for the tailing's pond being "impoundment 'ponds' filled with radioactive garbage". There isn't any more radiation in the ponds then there is in the natural background radiation in the rest of the Rocky Mountains. The only thing in the tailing's ponds is water with a slightly high acid content. That's why they are called "tailing's", because everything has been removed from the material that goes in them. They are nothing more than over sized mud puddles with a slightly high pH value.
Cotters built a new mill in 1980-81 and the first thing they did was to re-run all the tailing's that was in the old pond to clean it up. When the new ponds were built the top soil was removed down to solid bedrock. All the cracks in the bedrock were sealed with concrete. Then there was a layer of non-porous clay laid down that is 18 to 24 inches thick. On top of that they laid a thick hypalon acid proof liner and put another 18 inches of fill on top of that. Just below the dams they have drilled several wells and take water samples weekly to check for any contamination.
The reason I know all this is that my father was one of the people that helped to build Cotters and get it running back in 1958. Before that he worked with the AEC, Atomic Energy Commission, in Grand Junction developing the method to extract the uranium in the form of yellow cake. The yellow cake produced by Cotters is in no way usable as weapons grade uranium or could in no way be used to make weapons grade uranium. Most of what Cotters produced used to go to Edison Electric in Chicago and a lot of it has gone into medical equipment. Like the machines used for radiation therapy for cancer. They have also produced a lot of the minerals that go into steel production to make harder grades of steel. They also remove a lot of Silver and Nickel from the uranium ore.
My father worked at Cotters for 35 years before he retired and for the AEC for 5 years before that. He is now 82 years old and has never had any health problems that could be related to or blamed on working at Cotters. There was a Cotter employee that died several years ago from cancer and his family blamed it on his working at Cotters. What they don't tell is that he smoked 3 packs a day too.
As for the so called contamination of Lincoln Park, that has been way over blown too. The so called contamination was hardly more than what you find in a lot of the Rocky Mountains. At the time this was settled the EPA Superfund was going around picking on all sorts of little things trying to prove that they were needed and waisting millions of tax payers money doing it.
As for Cotters being located so close to urban area's. Well, when it was first built in 1958 they were several miles out of town and the mill was built on ground that wasn't worth anything or good for anything else. It has only been in the last 10 to 15 years that the town has expanded in that area. The 5 acre lots going for $50,000 and up now, you could have got back then for around $5 an acre,or less.
As for the safety of Cotters today? They are probably one of the safest industrial plants to live around. There are so many safeguards in place and the methods used to process the uranium ore have been improved to the point that you would really have to work at it to get any contamination on you working there, much less just living in the area. In my opinion it would be a lot safer working at Cotters than to work at one of the Penitentiaries around here!
Wow! Here's a classic example of just how stingy you folks on these Colorado threads are with your reps! I just repped a post that's 1 year old! And it about doubled his reps. No wonder he's remained a hermit!

Reps may not be everthing, but this guy has good info; history, present, and future.

End rant.

PS: This old thread also reminded me of the importance of our own personal anonymity, a choice of personal safety.

Old 07-26-2008, 02:49 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Actually, this forum is MUCH better than the Pittsburgh forum. For as much time as I spend there, I don't have many rep points. I think we can all use a reminder to give rep when we've read a good post, especially if it has been helpful.

Back to topic, Yorkie Mom seems to have settled there and likes it. We haven't heard from her lately.

Old 07-26-2008, 04:15 PM

17,988 posts, read 27,444,769 times
You've been very fair in that dept. I'll admit I'm somewhat of an addict, but not as bad as others. Hello pot! This is kettle.

Anywho, it's good to see the Canon City threads revived. I love that French restaurant out there.

PS: Hey Kat, I was just out in Pittsburgh about a few months ago on business. I took some pics but don't know where they're at. It was a really nice looking city from what I saw. Nice skyline, a nice river, green typical eastern/mid western city.

Old 07-26-2008, 05:37 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
That's an interesting assessment. There was a huge "discussion" over there about is Pgh east or midwest? We couldn't decide. But yes, it's beautiful with the greenery. Gorgeous in the fall!

Back to Canon. I spent a lot of time there years ago working on some "rural health" project. Cute little town, but a bit confining for the likes of me, and I am not a "mall rat".

Old 07-27-2008, 12:04 AM

1,394 posts, read 4,170,775 times
Talking Hello!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Actually, this forum is MUCH better than the Pittsburgh forum. For as much time as I spend there, I don't have many rep points. I think we can all use a reminder to give rep when we've read a good post, especially if it has been helpful.

Back to topic, Yorkie Mom seems to have settled there and likes it. We haven't heard from her lately.
Hi everyone, yes it is me Yorkie_Mom and everything is great! Been busy with selling our other house, we closed a week ago, and now we are closing on our new house on this coming Monday! Then it is on to moving once again!
We love Canon City even though it is a smaller town then where we came from, but we love the mountains, and this weather! I will check in now and then with the next move coming up, life is good! Let me know if anyone needs help in the Canon City area. Thanks for asking about me Katiana, and anyone else that was wondering.

Old 07-27-2008, 02:23 AM

1,331 posts, read 5,081,422 times
Hi Yorkiemom!!
Been wondering about you!!!
I live in Canon, as you all know,...I am off of Dozier (north of Walmart) corner house with the tennis court! PM me and we will get together!!
I soooo don't get it, I mean, why so many people think how this "small" town is so "away from it all.
Here's what I mean.....I grew up in Denver,...raised my oldest son in SE Aurora (also where my youngest son was born). If one drove from one end of town to the other (take your pick..Denver or Aurora)...it would take at Least 30 minutes, usually More!! Right???
I live here in Canon (The True Banana Belt, Climate Capital of Colorado...truly greener than other towns...an Oasis if you will)..
Anyway,.....I can be in COS or Pueblo.NO TRAFFIC within 30 to 45 minutes! No stress, no biggie!!!!!!
Most take that long commuting everyday in "normal conditions (forget the weather!). I blink and I'm in the BIG city! Seriously!!
Now mind you,...I'm not trying to get everyone to move here, how stupid,....I'm just saying that,.....we have a Walmart, Chili's...Office Depot....Home Depot....soon ...Ruby Tuesday's..every breakfast place on the planet and (to whom ever asked about the French Restaurant) It's La Petit Chablis......very good friends of mine own it...Daniel and Michelle!

I grew up in the city and raised my first son and my second son was partially raised there too! It is sooooooo much greener here than the other banana belt/ie/ Grand Junction.....
One can also have water shares/irrigation water...I do and it makes a huge difference!!
Trust me,...this IS the next town to make major changes and be the next "place to be"!
I'm just saying!! You'll mark my words one day,....really!!
Jazzlover knows!! Right Jazz????

So sorry about the Long Post!!

Old 07-27-2008, 04:08 AM

1,394 posts, read 4,170,775 times
Smile Hi neighbor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheridanL View Post
Hi Yorkiemom!!
Been wondering about you!!!
I live in Canon, as you all know,...I am off of Dozier (north of Walmart) corner house with the tennis court! PM me and we will get together!!
I soooo don't get it, I mean, why so many people think how this "small" town is so "away from it all.
Here's what I mean.....I grew up in Denver,...raised my oldest son in SE Aurora (also where my youngest son was born). If one drove from one end of town to the other (take your pick..Denver or Aurora)...it would take at Least 30 minutes, usually More!! Right???
I live here in Canon (The True Banana Belt, Climate Capital of Colorado...truly greener than other towns...an Oasis if you will)..
Anyway,.....I can be in COS or Pueblo.NO TRAFFIC within 30 to 45 minutes! No stress, no biggie!!!!!!
Most take that long commuting everyday in "normal conditions (forget the weather!). I blink and I'm in the BIG city! Seriously!!
Now mind you,...I'm not trying to get everyone to move here, how stupid,....I'm just saying that,.....we have a Walmart, Chili's...Office Depot....Home Depot....soon ...Ruby Tuesday's..every breakfast place on the planet and (to whom ever asked about the French Restaurant) It's La Petit Chablis......very good friends of mine own it...Daniel and Michelle!

I grew up in the city and raised my first son and my second son was partially raised there too! It is sooooooo much greener here than the other banana belt/ie/ Grand Junction.....
One can also have water shares/irrigation water...I do and it makes a huge difference!!
Trust me,...this IS the next town to make major changes and be the next "place to be"!
I'm just saying!! You'll mark my words one day,....really!!
Jazzlover knows!! Right Jazz????

So sorry about the Long Post!!
I didn't know you lived so close, I love your house, and walk past it everyday, the tennis court side, we walk around the Abby every night after supper. My daughter rides her bike past your place many times a day, because you live on a beautiful street, and not much traffic.
I have met Nadine and have talked and gotten together with her a few times, she is a very sweet woman, and her husband is very nice also. I wish we could have found a house on your street because everyone waves and have all been super nice.
Canon City is a great place to live, nice place to raise a family, and you don't have the rush, rush going on where bigger towns are so fast paced. The winters here are a piece of cake, snow is gone almost right away, and we are not far from COS or Pueblo if we want something different to do.
Thanks for remembering me and hope to get to meet up with you before we move about 3.4 miles from you. It is great to meet so many nice people.

Last edited by Yorkie_Mom; 07-27-2008 at 04:30 AM.. Reason: had to buy a vowel missed the u, lol

Old 07-28-2008, 03:11 PM

4 posts, read 14,695 times
Default Canon city

Hi Yorkie. My husband lived in Canon City until he was in 9th grade and then moved to Denver. He loved being a kid in Canon, despite the racism, he had some really good friends. (He's 28 now and we still talk to some) He lived in a Sunshine circle i think. Something that has to do with Sunshine, was up on the hill next to dinosour mtn, and all the boys grew up in that sub divistion together. he loved it for all the adventures they had. My Sister-in-law graduated from the highschool and still talks to all her best friends. They did experience a lot of racism (they are black and white) but I think no matter where you go, there's still ignorant people in this world. I can see how a teenager wouldn't like growing up in such a small town. It's beautiful to see but you will have to go to Colorado Springs or Pueblo to go shopping somewhere other than the local stores on Main Street or Wal-Mart. I love visiting and I think I see as you do; a small town to raise your family. I live in a small subdivision of Denver/Aurora that has less then 7,000 people, but I'm only 20 minutes from Denver.

Regarding the racism a little bit more, that comment about the KKK is correct. Canon was the capital of the organization in Colorado. there's a lot of information available online.

If you are really interEsted then rent in Canon and see how the city suits you. It works for some, but not for all. As goes for any city. :-) Good Luck!

Old 07-31-2008, 09:45 PM

486 posts, read 1,496,513 times
Hi, I live in Canon City [mod cut]
Anyway, I agree with many of the posters above - both the good and the bad. I have lived here for five years and I do find Canon to be very closed-minded and sometimes down-right racist (I can give many examples). It is a VERY religious community and I am not Christian so that really makes me an outsider.
There are some nice restaurants - Le Petite Chablis is fabulous! And the scenery can't be beat. Climate is perfect almost year round and the cost of living is very affordable.
So there is both good & bad. I have been really critical of Canon City and have hated many things about it but there are also things I really love. CC has changed over the past couple of years - more outsiders moving in makes for more open-minded people. And though there is a disturbing (even macabre) history here what with the KKK and the prisons, I am fascinated by it and embrace it. Canon City is a cool & creepy little town. It has so much potential -- I will be staying for a while.

Last edited by katzenfreund; 08-01-2008 at 10:50 PM.. Reason: you can advertise your home for sale in the "Classifieds forum" but not here, thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado