Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 03:15 PM

2,437 posts, read 8,183,526 times

Advertisements

Okay, I took this topic idea from the General US forum, but what the heck, nothing is original anyways...

How many popular movies and/or TV shows can you think of which prominently feature the state of colorado as a main setting...

Here's mine:
1) Dumb and Dumber (their final destination was to Vail, although I understand that most of the CO pars were shot in Breck)
2) Centennial - The whole series (and the book) was about the early settlers of CO, specifically in Centennial)
3) Mork and Mindy - They lived in Boulder, although it was all on a set and the only actual location shots were in the opening credits.
4) Stephen King's 'The Shining' - Stanford Hotel, Estes Park (all work and no play...)
5) Stephen King's 'The Stand' - (a book, but also a min-series) After the superflu wiped out 99.9% of the world population, all of the 'good guys' converge on Boulder, CO and the bad guys go to Las Vegas)
6) The Illusionist - (I know, I said popular, sio this one may not count) was set in Colorado Springs, where the main character tried to hanress Tesla;s technology to improve his act, basically. Really dumb.
7) War Games - NORAD (although there is only like one establishing shot to show it, the rest was a set seomwhere)
8) South Park - regrettably
9) Jeremiah Johnson (actually it was mostly shot in Utah, but he was supposed to be all over the Rockies)
10) Butch and Sundance - Basically the same as #9, except add Bolivia

what else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2009, 03:20 PM

7,841 posts, read 18,997,570 times
Broncos, Nuggets, and Rockies televised home games

The Democratic National Convention of 2008

The 2007 World Series

Broncos Victorious Super Bowl appearances in 98 & 99

Last edited by CosmicWizard; 05-11-2009 at 03:52 PM..

Old 05-11-2009, 03:31 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,459,644 times
Dynasty has to be the most famious one!

In case people dont remember it here is the opening theme.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjpCU4Zy9Cs

Old 05-11-2009, 04:25 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,471,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
Dynasty has to be the most famious one!

In case people dont remember it here is the opening theme.

YouTube - Dynasty TV Opening Theme
Except none of it was filmed in Colorado.

Some movies actually filmed--at least in part--in Colorado (partial list):

Cat Ballou - around Canon City

Mr. Majestyk - around Canon City and La Junta

How the West Was Won - a couple of scenes filmed near Delta

True Grit - around Ridgway

Ticket to Tomahawk - filmed on the D&RGW Railroad's Silverton Branch (a not yet well-known Marilyn Monroe had a bit part in this film)

Night Passage - filmed on the D&RGW Railroad's Silverton Branch

Sons of Katie Elder - Opening scenes filmed on filmed on the D&RGW Railroad's Silverton Branch (the real Katie Elder had relatives around Ridgway)

Denver & Rio Grande - filmed on the D&RGW Railroad's Silverton Branch

The Unsinkable Molly Brown - some scenes filmed near the Black Canyon of the Gunnison

Where the Hell's That Gold? - Filmed in southern Colorado and northern New Mexico on the Cumbres & Toltec Scenic Railroad

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade - Some scenes filmed in Antonito and on the Cumbres & Toltec Scenic Railroad (I was actually on location when some of this was filmed--standing next to the Second Unit Director for one scene)

The Good Guys and the Bad Guys - filmed on what is now the Cumbres & Toltec Scenic Railroad

Under Siege-Dark Territory - Some scenes filmed near Minturn on the Union Pacific Railroad; also some on LaVeta Pass, I believe.

National Lampoon's Vacation - Some scenes filmed around South Fork, Pagosa Springs, and Cortez.

Just a partial list . . .

Old 05-11-2009, 04:28 PM

18,216 posts, read 25,854,577 times
The February 1971 counterculture classic "The Vanishing Point". Barry Newman starred as a guy working for a car delivery service, with a 1969 Dodge Challenger (a sweet ride!) to be delivered to San Francisco ASAP! He went a tad bit faster than asap, though. Lots of shots of interstate 70, at that time various parts of the interstate were still known as U.S. Hwy. 6, particularly through Glenwood Canyon, DeBeque Canyon, and stretches of the passes. The first bore of the Eisenhower/Edwin Johnson tunnel wasn't completed until maybe September or so of 1974. Should be available on dvd, my vhs tape plays just fine, though. Classic!

Solid list Jazz!

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 05-11-2009 at 04:42 PM..

Old 05-11-2009, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
Except none of it was filmed in Colorado.

Some movies actually filmed--at least in part--in Colorado (partial list):

Cat Ballou - around Canon City

Mr. Majestyk - around Canon City and La Junta

How the West Was Won - a couple of scenes filmed near Delta

True Grit - around Ridgway

Ticket to Tomahawk - filmed on the D&RGW Railroad's Silverton Branch (a not yet well-known Marilyn Monroe had a bit part in this film)

Night Passage - filmed on the D&RGW Railroad's Silverton Branch

Sons of Katie Elder - Opening scenes filmed on filmed on the D&RGW Railroad's Silverton Branch (the real Katie Elder had relatives around Ridgway)

Denver & Rio Grande - filmed on the D&RGW Railroad's Silverton Branch

The Unsinkable Molly Brown - some scenes filmed near the Black Canyon of the Gunnison

Where the Hell's That Gold? - Filmed in southern Colorado and northern New Mexico on the Cumbres & Toltec Scenic Railroad

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade - Some scenes filmed in Antonito and on the Cumbres & Toltec Scenic Railroad (I was actually on location when some of this was filmed--standing next to the Second Unit Director for one scene)

The Good Guys and the Bad Guys - filmed on what is now the Cumbres & Toltec Scenic Railroad

Under Siege-Dark Territory - Some scenes filmed near Minturn on the Union Pacific Railroad; also some on LaVeta Pass, I believe.

National Lampoon's Vacation - Some scenes filmed around South Fork, Pagosa Springs, and Cortez.

Just a partial list . . .
The title is feature Colorado not filmed in Colorado and National Lampoon's Vacation was flimed around Pueblo as well. I remember because I went to go see it when I was a kid....

Last edited by Josseppie; 05-11-2009 at 05:47 PM..

Old 05-11-2009, 04:50 PM

2,437 posts, read 8,183,526 times
Actually, I was more interested in Movies/Shows set in Co whether they were filmed here or not.

But that list of films made here is interesting as well.

Old 05-11-2009, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
Broncos, Nuggets, and Rockies televised home games

The Democratic National Convention of 2008

The 2007 World Series

Broncos Victorious Super Bowl appearances in 98 & 99
If we are talking sports dont forget about the Professional Bull riding (PBR). That is seen all over the world. Pueblo hosts the team finals during the state fair and this week will be the Wild west fest and the PBR event will be shown to millions of people all over the world!

Old 05-11-2009, 05:21 PM

179 posts, read 621,613 times
Avalanche, Cliffhanger and City Slickers were filmed in Durango; not to mention almost 3 dozen old-timey western movies.
Nurse Betty had a quick scene in Durango, too. No one knew what the hell was going on that day when film crews were there and gone in a day.

Old 05-11-2009, 05:29 PM

This is on wiki about Pueblo:

Pueblo in popular culture
  • In the South Park episode "The Losing Edge", Pueblo is one of the towns in which the South Park team competes.
  • In the South Park episode "Quest For Ratings", Pueblo is shown on the crayon-drawn Weather Map during the Weather segment (roughly 8 minutes in).
  • In John Sayle's 2004 film Silver City, Pueblo is referenced by Cliff Castleton.
  • Pueblo as a frontier town is the setting for Louis L'Amour's 1981 western novel Milo Talon.
  • The opening scene in Bo Edwards' 2008 novel Live to Ride (ISBN 978-0-9801345-0-6) is set in Pueblo. The two protagonists are Pueblo natives.
  • Pueblo is portrayed as a ghostly, radiated ruin in the Darwin's World novel Burning Lands.
BTW the South Park losing edge has to be one of my favorite references to Colroado. First they show Fort Collins and its nice and pretty with green lawns and mountains. Then Greeley and there are cows in fields. Then Pueblo and its getto and its dry and brown like a dessart and everyone speaks spanish. I Laughed for hours when I first saw it....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado