U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2009, 07:27 AM

91 posts, read 222,028 times

Advertisements

My husband is interviewing for a job in Durango. It is a good job so if he gets this job we will be moving. I fell in love with Durango at a glance. We lived in Nederland Co for a very long time (over 15 years) moved to Salida (for his job) and now he has this chance of moving to Durango (same job but a big advancement) Does anyone have a perspective of Nederland/ Boulder compared to Durango? I would appreciate the input. Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2009, 07:38 PM

8,317 posts, read 25,780,481 times
When it comes to terrain and climate, Durango is more like Salida than Boulder/Nederland. I consider Boulder as part of the Front Range metroplex, so, in my opinion, it really doesn't compare with Durango. Time was that I liked Durango much more than Salida--I knew people in both towns and spent a lot of time in both. Today, I would pick Salida over Durango in a heartbeat, though Salida is doing its best to be like Durango, and I consider that a very unadmirable trait. Durango is surrounded by some lovely mountain country (albeit becoming overdeveloped and overcrowded), but I find Durango to be the typically socially unhealthy yuppie resort town that has become all too typical in Colorado. That is at least partly why a lot of my Durango native friends no longer live there.

You imply that a much better job for your husband (and I hope much better pay to be able to stand Durango's much higher housing costs) is the driving force behind your move. As far as quality of life, I would consider going from Salida to Durango a lateral move, at best--so the job aspect would be the important consideration. I would pick either one over Boulder--I don't like the Boulder vibe--and it's just part of the greater Denver metropolitan bull**** suburban complex--an area that I find more loathsome with each passing day (and with every new 1,000 transplants to create more sprawl).

Old 05-20-2009, 07:27 AM

91 posts, read 222,028 times
Thank you Jazzlover....I guess "the vibe" is what I was interested in. We were outside of Boulder (in Nederland) . I understand people's quick reaction to Boulder and I have rolled my eyes at "Bould-are" myself. However...I appreciated having Boulder near. Anything you wanted was at your fingertips. Shopping...entertainment... good food...music...classes to sign up for...cutting edge of new ideas...etc. I appreciated that even more after moving to Salida. While I think that Salida is a great place....we also think that it is a little boring. Only 2 decent restaurants the others are all burger joints. Very little entertainment. We have to go 2hrs sometimes to shop. The people moving here seem to be more and more retired folks. (partly because of the weather and partly because there are no jobs for younger people) I actually miss snowstorms. Salida has snow but nothing that I would call a blizzard in the 2 yrs that we have been here. That makes for easy living though. I know that Durango has mild weather but does it get a few good storms thrown in too? I guess either way if my husband gets this job we will be moving to Durango. I miss my home in Nederland. I am just hoping that it has some similarities to my old neck of the woods(the good parts). Because if he gets this job we will be there for a while. Thank you for responding to my post

Old 05-21-2009, 01:54 PM

106 posts, read 340,619 times
We do get some good storms in Durango, not every year, but the last two winters have had decent snow in certain months. I have absolutely no experience with Nederland so I can't compare.

Old 05-21-2009, 02:27 PM

8,317 posts, read 25,780,481 times
cisco2007,

My experience with Durango as a "shopping" locale was pretty disappointing. The downtown area is nearly totally geared to tourists--read: too expensive and frivolous for most locals. There is some first class dining available in Durango, but you will pay first class prices for it--especially during tourist season, which seems to stretch for most of the year these days. The mall is mediocre, at best. Aside from that, there is Wal-mart--or go to Farmington, New Mexico. I haven't been impressed with shopping in Farmington, either, but I tend to loathe shopping, malls, big boxes, etc. I only go to them when I absolutely have to. A lot of Durangoans I have known even skip Farmington and make 3 or 4 shopping trips a year to Albuquerque, which is about 220 miles from Durango.

Durango does have a nice climate--a major positive for the place--IF you like a fair amount of snow in winter, warm but not scorching summers, and pleasant falls. Durango goes get some monsoonal moisture in summer for some pleasant afternoon thunderstorms in July and August--more than Salida gets, but less than such places as Colorado Springs, Rye, etc. along the southern Front Range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado