U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2006, 08:19 AM

29 posts, read 75,231 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone. Would anyone be able to give us some information on housing, area, crime, etc. on the area of Pueblo West and Pueblo? We are in Albuquerque and planning on retiring soon. We've seen some ads for houses in Pueblo West that look very good in our price range, some with pictures and some without, so it's difficult to tell much. Are there any issues in Pueblo West of which anyone is aware? We can't tell if these have HOA or not, which would definately not interest us. We like homes that aren't on top of their neighbors and the ones in Colorado Springs mostly looked quite close.

We would appreciate any help you all could give to us.

Thank you very much.

Happy 4th of July to you all and to all our fine troops.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2006, 12:40 PM

10,677 posts, read 28,491,129 times
Talk to a Realtor who works in that area. I can do a neighborhood report based on census data, if you'd like.

Old 07-05-2006, 12:00 AM

827 posts, read 4,541,267 times
Ready2Retire, Pueblo West has lots and lots of space. It has wide open land. The land in Pueblo West reminds me sort of like Albuquerque where you live. You can see the mountains in the distance. The land and homes are really reasonable. The people there are friendly and crime isn't bad at all especially compared to ABQ. The winters are mild there and the summers aren't as hot as ABQ. Maybe some locals can answer you more on local issues. Coldwell Banker has lots of listings there.

Old 07-05-2006, 05:17 PM

2 posts, read 8,871 times
I have spent 50 years in the Pueblo area. Pueblo West has some nice areas...and the lots are big. Problem I see a lot is big lots are great...however people put a lot of junk on their land...like broken down cars, appliances, rv stuff, etc. Does not appear to have restrictions on what you can do with your property....ie poor homeowners association. I personally would not live their...too junky.

Old 07-06-2006, 12:58 PM

Thank you all for your thoughts and suggestions. I think we're going to take some time off and go up there and check it out. Junk and crime are a big issue with us. We lived in Kern County California, and honestly, it looked like one big dump. The crime in Albuquerque is really bad, but thank goodness we have a very aggressive and capable police department. We are about to say good-bye to Uncle Sam and take off on our pilgrimage...don't know where we'll end up. If we had lots of money, our favorite place to go would be Ojai, California...but...we're retired military...so that tell's you something about our finances.

Old 07-06-2006, 07:06 PM

423 posts, read 982,671 times
We live in Santa Maria, near the California central coast. I visited Loveland a year ago and am planning to visit Pueblo this fall. I was all excited to see Northern Colorado and thinking of moving there but it turned out to have the houses all crammed together on small lots, and very expensive. Also the houses had terrible floor plans. They most of the time build small two story houses on very small lots, so the population density is going to keep going up higher. Colorado already has a high population density and that is the reason.

An agent I didn't know later sent an emailing to me with one of those houses for sale that was "a really great deal" for $375,000, i.e. it wasn't a good deal at all but a travesty.

I gave up on Colorado with that but then we have been thinking of building a home which is why I'm going to visit Pueblo this fall, to see if one of those big lots is feasible and if we might like the area. The ethnic diversity of Pueblo looks about the same as here, although there is low crime here and higher than the national average there. Actually the news reports coming out of Colorado Springs are quite scary, as one news report after the other is about one heinous crime or another. So at this point I am quite skeptical about moving there but we'll see, as I have never been to that part of Colorado before. I have been to Albuquerque and Santa Fe and that's it.

As to seeing the houses there, just do a search and find some of the agents with the mls on their site. Then you will be able to find all the homes that are available with the agents. I am a real estate broker here but am mostly retired at this point, but you don't need to be an agent to search for the listings on the internet.

Oh and I don't know why you would want to move to Ojai. Have you been there recently?

Last edited by jlvs2run; 07-06-2006 at 07:09 PM..

Old 07-06-2006, 08:33 PM

Thank you for the post John. I've been looking at houses on the Internet for the last year. I am so sick of doing that. We'd both like to be around a military base if we can, but sometimes that's just not possible. We get a lot of our services there.

Well........Ojai. We were at China Lake, California, which is the armpit of the earth. 120 degrees, dust storms, ruined our car, house, wind storms, fire, flooding...argh. Lots of C4 smoke.. So, every weekend we would run like jack rabbits to the coast to smell some salty air. We thrive on water...ocean, river, rain, daily, every day. Like to canoe, fish, hike. We're from Fort Walton Beach, Florida but will not go back there again as we have lost so much of our belongings. So, we're trying to find a place that is near water and is GREEN!!! We are both painters. Ojai looked like heaven to us. That was around the summer of 2003. We just remember the beautiful place we saw. You sound as though it might have changed. We passed through Santa Maria, which we thought a very pretty town. Met lots of very nice people in Los Olivos, Lompoc, Solvang. They wanted us to come and live in Los Olivos....uh...I think there was maybe a run-down garage on the other side of town in a gulley next to the sheep farm that was for rent. I'm not sure though if we could have afforded the garage AND electricity....

I don't know if Colorado Springs is for us...houses are too close together, and we like some space, so we will check out Pueblo but I think the lack of water will not be good for us. Most of the safest cities are in California...places we can't afford to go. We have two desert-rat kiddos, one in Tucson and one in China Lake, California, so we are trying to stay somewhat near to them. I think northern Colorado was very beautiful when we went through I-70. We judge a place also by smell....there IS something about the smell of pinon pine wet still from the rain....

I hope you and your wife find a great spot.

Old 07-06-2006, 08:54 PM

1,318 posts, read 5,301,728 times
Ok now please nobody from/currently residing in CO freak out on me because I lived in Colorado Springs from 1984-1990. So that's a ways back!!! We left right as the building boom began & they overbuilt etc. So this was a long time ago! But from what I remember, people spoke of Pueblo as the "Harlem" of Colorado. It I guess would be like the "Alb" of NM. Mostly Mexicans, poor...Oh-and everyone always said "Make sure you lock your doors if you drive through Pueblo"! I have never been to Pueblo (or Alb- Harlem yes only a handful of times -had no probs...) but that is what i heard back when I lived in the Springs.

Old 07-06-2006, 09:18 PM

Thanks elfyum for your views about Pueblo. You are right about Albuquerque, the people we have met here and in Santa Fe refer to it as the "poor man's Santa Fe". We absolutely do lock our doors driving anywhere here. This is the first time I have ever ordered a burger and had it handed to me through metal bars.... ...oh no, wait...I'm from near New Orleans....this is the second time I have ever had a burger handed to me through metal bars...

Some people love it here...i'm sure of it...we just don't happen to be those people.

Old 07-07-2006, 01:06 AM

827 posts, read 4,541,267 times
Ready2Retire, if you want a green place, Pueblo is mostly a desert type of area so that may not be for you. You might check out Durango, Colorado. It is green and has lakes all around it and a river and creeks everywhere. It has lots of trees in the city and the area around it has large acreages. It is a beautiful city and is where I am moving as soon as possible. I live in Phoenix but I am ready to bug out of this hot place. I have lived in New Mexico almost all my life so I know what you mean. I like Silver City, New Mexico but it is on the small side, not a lot of opportunities right now. Durango is growing a lot. If you visit, be sure and ride the train to Silverton so you can see the area. Durango has mild winters and nice summers with cool nights. So you might check the area out. Cortez is another option, it is an inexpensive place to live, but smaller. I have been all over and I have to say the area of Durango is really my favorite place. The people are nice and friendly too. I like that the homes in the city keep their yards with all sorts of flowers and roses. You will see flowers everywhere, even the businesses there have flowers everywhere. In Phoenix the flowers mostly burn up to a crisp! Also if you go there, look out toward Bayfield which is green rolling hills, drive down 3rd Avenue and see the Victorian homes, if you drive, go to Ouray, they call it Little Switzerland and you will see why when you see it, but if you are afraid of heights, stay away from Ouray. Go up to Fort Lewis College at night and park at the edge of the cliffs and see the city lights.

Last edited by Crackerjack; 07-07-2006 at 01:17 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or