U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2007, 03:42 PM

56 posts, read 200,910 times

Advertisements

My husband & I are looking at houses now. For the time being, we're on 1 salary, so our buget is super small. Someone mentioned finding some land & going modular (not mobile & manufactured).

We're looking at land in Homestead (in Bayfield). Possibly Durango West 1. I guess anywhere there is electric/sewer/water already hooked up.

I've read modulars/stick built are comparable in quality. I know resale is less, but still, it does appreciate.

So, if anyone's familiar w/ this subject:
- What GOOD companies are in Durango for these types of homes? I've seen Rocky Mtn., Award (who has no models to walk into, very dangerous I think), & Eagle.

- What ques should I be asking the dealer? I know we should look for 2x6 construction. But I know NOTHING about constuction! How will I know what's good/bad? Is there anyone out there who can give me a "make sure it has this" list?

Thanks so much!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2007, 04:38 AM

476 posts, read 2,089,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigglynals View Post
My husband & I are looking at houses now. For the time being, we're on 1 salary, so our buget is super small. Someone mentioned finding some land & going modular (not mobile & manufactured).

We're looking at land in Homestead (in Bayfield). Possibly Durango West 1. I guess anywhere there is electric/sewer/water already hooked up.

I've read modulars/stick built are comparable in quality. I know resale is less, but still, it does appreciate.

So, if anyone's familiar w/ this subject:
- What GOOD companies are in Durango for these types of homes? I've seen Rocky Mtn., Award (who has no models to walk into, very dangerous I think), & Eagle.

- What ques should I be asking the dealer? I know we should look for 2x6 construction. But I know NOTHING about constuction! How will I know what's good/bad? Is there anyone out there who can give me a "make sure it has this" list?

Thanks so much!!!
Bigglynals, my friend did just that, she bought a modular in Farmington, New Mexico and spend much less for it than if she bought it in Durango and moved it to an area where she had it set up, she also had septic and a well put in and a perm. foundation put in, a must in Colorado now, and the electricity was already there, so in all she spent about 185,000 for it all but it is a nice large, 4 bedroom, 4 bath modular and looks good. That includes the acre lot she paid for as well. They never look as good as a home of course, but they have come along ways. Yes you want a modular built for Colorado Code and be sure and demand that, they are much better built with more insulation and better built walls. I believe you have to have Colorado Code anyway in Colorado to get it approved but not totally sure about that, ask about that. There are many manufactured home companies in Farmington. There are a few in Durango, I dont know anything about them in Durango, but there are two I have seen along Highway 160 east going toward Bayfield. Again, I wish I knew about them but I dont. Check in Farmington though because you can save a bundle. Just make sure any lot you buy you can get well water. That is a bar none the most important thing. If you can get a lot with a septic and well already there, that is a big bonus and will save you alot of money. Some old mobile homes with land are good too because you can get rid of the old mobile home and put a nice one on there. Check with any new or existing rules in the area. They have been implementing rules and plans right and left lately so be sure and get the info on it. About Durango West - there are two areas there. An area with just homes and condos and another area with modular homes and some mobile homes. They are already set up usually and have everything already supplied, water, etc. The area has lots of pines and is somewhat mountainy. Very pretty area. Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado