U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 12:36 PM

12 posts, read 40,127 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are looking into visiting Colorado for about three days near the end of June...

Where should we visit to experience the best of Colorado? We're coming from Portland, OR and looking for a possible place to live. Sort of a scouting trip.

We are in our late 20's/early 30's, we love backpacking, hiking, and microbrews We're not big fans of the burbs, but we are flexible as long as there's some character to the area. We have no kids, but plan on starting a family within the next few years.

So the plan is to fly into Denver and go from there.

Suggestions, recommendations? Maybe some thoughts from other native Oregonians who moved to Colorado.

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2009, 01:09 PM

535 posts, read 1,392,713 times
If your from portland and were looking for the opposite, say, Malheur lake region, I suppose you'd want to go to Northwest Colorado, out past the resorts and into nowhere, still mountainous, much drier, much less populated. Most of the time I've spent in Oregon has been around La Grande, which I might compare to maybe North Park, if I'm thinking straight.

Old 05-26-2009, 02:14 PM

6,530 posts, read 10,200,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ticky909 View Post
If your from portland and were looking for the opposite, say, Malheur lake region, I suppose you'd want to go to Northwest Colorado, out past the resorts and into nowhere, still mountainous, much drier, much less populated. Most of the time I've spent in Oregon has been around La Grande, which I might compare to maybe North Park, if I'm thinking straight.
North Park would be gorgeous this time of year. It's definitely away from the 'burbs - WAY away. Probably more cows than people in Jackson County.

When you said Northwest Colorado I immediately pictured the area around Craig and wondered if you were trying to dissuade them from coming.

Old 05-26-2009, 02:25 PM

535 posts, read 1,392,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
North Park would be gorgeous this time of year. It's definitely away from the 'burbs - WAY away. Probably more cows than people in Jackson County.

When you said Northwest Colorado I immediately pictured the area around Craig and wondered if you were trying to dissuade them from coming.
bah, truck it out to hiawatha.

Old 05-26-2009, 02:45 PM

6,530 posts, read 10,200,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ticky909 View Post
bah, truck it out to hiawatha.
Hiawatha makes Walden look almost urban.

Old 05-26-2009, 03:44 PM

12 posts, read 40,127 times
I'm thinking more like, Fort Collins, Boulder, Denver, etc. We're specifically looking for potential places to live that aren't too suburban and definitely not rural.

Where should we be scouting?

Old 05-26-2009, 04:58 PM

20,844 posts, read 39,064,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tytus View Post
I'm thinking more like, Fort Collins, Boulder, Denver, etc. We're specifically looking for potential places to live that aren't too suburban and definitely not rural.

Where should we be scouting?
Swing through Fort Collins, then head up to Estes Park, take the tram up to the top of the mountain, maybe even a venture a short way into Rocky Mountain Nat Park to see the elk, then come on back out.

Golden is nice too, brewery tour, railroad museum, drive up Lookout Mountain to see for well over a hundred miles, no kidding. You might hook this into an all day Golden/Boulder day.

Denver has so many things to see it's crazy to try and name them, just pick a museum or two and make a day of it, then LoDo and the 16th Street Mall for dinner, walk around and have a beer, watch the Rockies play baseball.

s/Mike
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 05-27-2009, 02:43 AM

2,755 posts, read 11,742,357 times
Sounds like you're looking at the more populated front range then rather than the mountains. If you're just visiting Colorado, I'd recommend avoiding the front range entirely and focusing primarily on southwestern Colrorado, but since you want to relocate to the front range then here's my suggestion.

If you're road tripping it from Portland to the front range, you're going to be coming in from Wyoming / I-80. I'd suggest taking 287 from Laramie down to Fort Collins. It's a much prettier drive, and takes you right through the heart of Fort Collins. Check out Fort Collins, and then continue on 287 through Loveland over to 34 towards Estes Park / RMNP. Head out of Estes Park on 36 through Lyons to Boulder, and check out that town. From Boulder you can take 93 along the foothills to Golden, and then from Golden you can head into Downtown Denver. There's plenty to see in Denver; and then you can choose if you want to head up to the mountains on I-70, or head down to Colorado Springs on I-25 and check out that area.

Old 05-27-2009, 07:54 AM

86,891 posts, read 102,319,187 times
tfox' itinerary sounds like the best for seeing what you want to see. You will see a lot of foothills, and the cities you are considering. You can do the mountains on another trip.

Old 05-27-2009, 08:18 AM

229 posts, read 671,037 times
Work off what sounds interesting to you from this:
Denver, Boulder and Colorado Springs : Suggested Itineraries : In One Week | Frommers.com

3 days is kinda short, but you could probably bang out Denver and Boulder in a day and a half if you are selective. That would leave a day to head to mountains, RMNP, Fort Collins, or Colorado Springs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado