Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 01:54 PM

431 posts, read 2,785,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebedee View Post
If anyone has any more Gunnison advice or winter vehicle advice, I'd appreciate it
I lived in Leadville when it was as cold or colder than Gunnison. We had no problem with our vehicles. But at that time we did have what was called a heated dip stick to put in the oil. When we had to park outside all night. We did use it in the morning to heat the oil while my hubby shoveled out the driveway. Road crews were out all night and would plow our driveways closed every night. If you parked on the street as some had to. You might not find the vehicle. I am guessing that if you do not have a garage or even if you do, it would be to your advantage to install a block heater. Diesels, of coarse is a must. If you are asking if you need a 4 wheel drive. We like them but you need to learn their limits and how to drive them. I don't know what they call them but those that take over separately when one spins and straightens the car are really nice. High end but nice
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2007, 11:34 AM

12 posts, read 47,836 times
Thansk for the info. I think I'll start out with a block heater and hopefully build a garage later on if I dont have one at first

Old 09-12-2007, 12:03 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,357,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zebedee View Post
If anyone has any more Gunnison advice or winter vehicle advice, I'd appreciate it
In winter in Gunnison, it is definitely wise to adhere to the "severe duty" maintenance schedule on your vehicle--40 below is definitely "severe duty." A block heater is really a necessity in Gunnison if your vehicle is parked outside. Also, if your vehicle is a diesel, be aware that unwinterized fuel will gel at about 10 above. Winterized fuel is good to about -20. Below that, and you really need to burn No. 1 diesel or add an anti-gelling additive. Most areas in Colorado sell winterized diesel after about November 1st until mid-March or so. Carrying a bottle of Power Service is a good idea. Adding that when fueling lowers the gelling point of the fuel to a much lower temperature. It's not a bad idea with gas engines to add a bottle of gas line antifreeze once in a while, too.

Also, expect to get dismal fuel economy in winter. When I lived there, I drove a pickup that would get 15 mpg in summer--it got about 8 or 9 mpg in winter. Long warm-up time, thick gear lube, etc., etc. really raises hell with fuel economy. And, yes, that very cold weather will shorten the life of most any vehicle. 4WD is not necessary, but a front-wheel drive car with traction control is a good option if you don't want a four-wheel-drive.

Old 10-30-2007, 07:54 PM

19 posts, read 72,035 times
I've never lived there, but have good friends who have lived there for years. We've visited at all times of the year. It's very peaceful in general. Small town living. Safe. Best restaurant by far is Garlic Mike's. Best Italian food I've had in this country, in comparison to NYC and D.C. areas. Michael's a culinary chef from the East coast and has won awards for his cooking. As far as weather; summer's are great. Winter's didn't seem different to me than the North East.

Old 10-26-2008, 01:37 PM

8 posts, read 31,072 times
Looking at Gunnison and wondering if a visit in mid December would introduce me to the bitter cold. I love the cold but am from Lake Tahoe area where the sun does shine on the snow and by mid day on many winter days you can get by with a long sleeved t-shirt.

Also, does anyone have any comments about the area about 12 miles south on County Road 38 from Gunnison’s main Highway 50?

Old 10-26-2008, 01:39 PM

8 posts, read 31,072 times
Default Gunnison

Does anyone have any comments about the area about 12 miles south on County Road 38 from Gunnison’s main Highway 50? Planning a visit in the upcoming months, heard it is bone chilling cold and hoping to get a taste of this to help make decisions about relocating, etc.

Old 10-26-2008, 04:07 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,357,988 times
Yes, it is brutal cold in Gunnison in the winter. In my years of living there, the coldest unofficial temperature I recorded was -55° F. One winter the temperature never got above 0° F. for about three weeks straight. The good news is that the wind usually doesn't blow there much and the sun shines most of the time in winter. Gunnison itself actually gets about the same average snowfall as Denver, but--unlike Denver--whatever falls there generally stays for the whole winter.

Summers are pleasant, but cool and short. One year, I was scraping frost at 21° F. on the first day of summer--June 21st. Gunnison has had a number of warmer than average years in the last 15 or so, though last winter was more typical of what at least used to be "average."

It's still a nice town, but real estate is overpriced, jobs are scarce, and wages are pretty low--pretty much typical of all of rural Colorado west of the Front Range. As to the area you refer to south of Gunnison--well, I went to a lot of keggers out there in my younger days many years ago. Pretty much rocks, sagebrush and juniper.

Old 10-26-2008, 04:33 PM

18,134 posts, read 25,664,806 times
Jazzlover is right. If you are planning a visit, do it in December or January. And if you can tolerate THAT, you'll be fine! I give a badge of honor to long time residents of that town, who I have found to be good folks. If you are into fishing, it doesn't get any better than Blue Mesa Reservoir, just west of town, one of the top fishing/boating rec spots in the state IMO. For many years the Tabernash/Fraser area was known as the icebox of Colorado, but Gunnison beats them now.

Old 10-27-2008, 12:26 PM

1,331 posts, read 5,062,935 times
You probably know this already but, make sure your hair is completely dry when you go out in that below freezing weather! It will freeze and break off if you touch it!! Seriously!!
There are many days of sunshine along with the freezing cold, to me it makes it bearable and pretty but, maintaining your vehicle for cold temps is a must!
There are stores like Walmart, etc. for more shopping I would think that depends on what kind of stores you like.
Good Luck!

Old 11-05-2008, 02:41 PM

1 posts, read 2,876 times
I have lived in Gunnison for 5 years and the cold isn't as bad as people make it sound. Honestly, you get used to it. Last year the average high in January was -5 degrees, so when it would reach 20 or 30 degrees people started wearing shorts. The sun is always shining, so it makes it feel much warmer.
In regards to your car, I would definitely recommend a 4-wheel drive. During the winter they don't give you much time to move your car and often your car will get plowed in. However, its very easy to get out if you have 4-wheel, but impossible with a car. Also, Monarch can be a very dangerous pass in the winter...4-wheel is the safest. You don't need an engine block heater if you have a newer car, but a must with older cars. One of the biggest problems as to why cars won't start when it gets -30 or -40 is the batteries will freeze. If you find your car isn't starting, always try jumping it. I don't have a garage and readily disagree with the idea that the cold will age your car. My car has 170,000 miles and still runs great, as long as you keep up on your oil changes. Also, they city does not put down salt or other chemicals on the road during the winter, so its much less damaging to the exterior of the car.
Gunnison has some great stores and you shouldn't need to go to Montrose or Grand Junction very often. City Market just got a huge remodel and addition, so its like a new store. Better than many grocery stores I have been to along the front range! The only reason you might want to go to Grand Junction is for furniture. There are a few furniture stores and they are very nice, but can be expensive.
Decide where you live very carefully! There are a lot older houses in Gunnison and you might find yourself paying huge utilities bills during the winter with older homes. There are great deal of new houses being built that are superior in insulation, so I would look into those if you could.
I love it here. The community is so welcoming and I feel so safe here. If possible, you should try to come for the Christmas tree lighting on Dec. 5th, its a blast!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado