U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 06:57 PM

8,317 posts, read 25,111,186 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelhock21 View Post
I have lived in Gunnison for 5 years and the cold isn't as bad as people make it sound. Honestly, you get used to it. Last year the average high in January was -5 degrees, so when it would reach 20 or 30 degrees people started wearing shorts. The sun is always shining, so it makes it feel much warmer.
In regards to your car, I would definitely recommend a 4-wheel drive. During the winter they don't give you much time to move your car and often your car will get plowed in. However, its very easy to get out if you have 4-wheel, but impossible with a car. Also, Monarch can be a very dangerous pass in the winter...4-wheel is the safest. You don't need an engine block heater if you have a newer car, but a must with older cars. One of the biggest problems as to why cars won't start when it gets -30 or -40 is the batteries will freeze. If you find your car isn't starting, always try jumping it. I don't have a garage and readily disagree with the idea that the cold will age your car. My car has 170,000 miles and still runs great, as long as you keep up on your oil changes. Also, they city does not put down salt or other chemicals on the road during the winter, so its much less damaging to the exterior of the car.
Gunnison has some great stores and you shouldn't need to go to Montrose or Grand Junction very often. City Market just got a huge remodel and addition, so its like a new store. Better than many grocery stores I have been to along the front range! The only reason you might want to go to Grand Junction is for furniture. There are a few furniture stores and they are very nice, but can be expensive.
Decide where you live very carefully! There are a lot older houses in Gunnison and you might find yourself paying huge utilities bills during the winter with older homes. There are great deal of new houses being built that are superior in insulation, so I would look into those if you could.
I love it here. The community is so welcoming and I feel so safe here. If possible, you should try to come for the Christmas tree lighting on Dec. 5th, its a blast!
With all due respect, with the exception of last winter, the winters in Gunnison in the last decade or so have been abnormally warm compared with years previous. I lived in Gunnison years back--through a bunch of what were considered "normal" winters then. I guarantee you they were much more rigorous than what has been experienced for most of the past few years. A friend who has lived in Gunnison for pushing 40 years now absolutely agrees with me about this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2008, 08:35 AM

7,755 posts, read 16,459,702 times
Hazelhock21 wrote:
I have lived in Gunnison for 5 years and the cold isn't as bad as people make it sound. Honestly, you get used to it. Last year the average high in January was -5 degrees, so when it would reach 20 or 30 degrees people started wearing shorts. The sun is always shining, so it makes it feel much warmer.
The cold IS relative. Many years ago when I first lived in Anchorage AK, I arrived in mid March. The daytimes highs were only in the upper 20s. In my mind it was still winter. However, the locals who had spent the entire winter there, experienced the upper 20 highs as springtime. Honest to God, some people were wearing shorts and sandals, and just about everyone was talking about the warm spring weather.

As we head into winter over here in Grand Junction, our first bout of 20 degree temps feels really cold to me. However, after the much colder temps of December and January, when the overnight lows warm up into the 20's, the 20 degree temps feel much warmer. The comfort level is mostly what we become accustomed to.

Old 06-06-2009, 10:59 AM

1 posts, read 2,953 times
Unhappy Gunnison area, advice needed

My husband and I are considering relocating our family to Gunnison. Can you fill me in on the area and the housing market? We will rent for at least the first year, we would need a 4 bdrm, 2.5ba. We are coming from Orlando, not sure what to expect to pay in rent for what we are looking for. I hope to hear something soon!

Old 06-08-2009, 11:53 AM

7,755 posts, read 16,459,702 times
I'm not sure about real estate values in Gunnison so I can't help you there. Just wondering, are you aware that Gunnison is one of the coldest spots in the state of Colorado? It would be quite a contrast coming from Florida.

Go Magic...beat the Lakers!

Old 06-08-2009, 01:24 PM

4,888 posts, read 8,906,945 times
Small town. Well kept appearance. Has a college and a small airport. High elevation (8,000 feet). About 30 minute drive to Crested Butte. Nice setting although rather brown and barren in the immediate area. Isolated in the sense that it's an hour drive to the next largest town (Montrose).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryansgirl View Post
My husband and I are considering relocating our family to Gunnison. Can you fill me in on the area and the housing market? We will rent for at least the first year, we would need a 4 bdrm, 2.5ba. We are coming from Orlando, not sure what to expect to pay in rent for what we are looking for. I hope to hear something soon!

Old 06-08-2009, 06:04 PM

16,179 posts, read 20,191,435 times
As the other posters have noted, when you are talking about cold weather, Gunnison hits the bullseye. From late November to early April the cold socks in to the valley and stays there. And by cold I mean below zero on many nights. It sits at just a tad over 7700 feet high, you'll never worry about 100 degree days there. Population is around 6500 . I wish I could help on info of health care services, maybe someone who has lived or lives there can contribute here.

NOW, the other side. If I wasn't older than dirt, had zero arthritis, and wanted to move to a mountain town, Gunnison is at the top of the list. If you're into water sports, Curecanti National Recreation Area stretches along hwy. 50 west of town and it (spec. Blue Mesa Reservoir) is one of the top rec areas of the state. I'm not into winter skiing, but 35 miles north of Gunnison sports Crested Butte, one of the top ski areas of the state.

Gunnison is also home to Western State College. It has one of the prettier campuses I've been around. I can't help out with real restate, but IMO I think you'll find prices a little cheaper than most Colorado mountain towns. It is my observation that people who live in Gunnison are a hardy bunch. Spend a winter there and you'll see what I mean. But they are a friendly bunch. Shopping IS a consideration and, with the exception of Walmart, it is 70 miles to a town with chain stores, which is Montrose. I like the neighborhoods, WSC offers a quality education, and if you enjoy fishing and boating, you come to the right place. IMO the best thing to do is pay Gunnison a visit for a few days in December. If you can adjust to that and still have a good vibe about the area you'll be ok with it. One of the top posters lived and got his college education there, and will fill in more here. JL, where is ya??

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 06-08-2009 at 06:22 PM..

Old 06-08-2009, 07:43 PM

8,317 posts, read 25,111,186 times
Do a search on my other posts on Gunnison. Real estate there is still high-priced, especially compared to local incomes. There are relatively few jobs available. If you have one already in hand, great--if not, not so good.

The rental market has historically been tight because it is a college town--though a 4BR is probably not so affected by the college student demand. Also, check out what you rent thoroughly. Because Gunnison is so cold in winter, you can spend almost as much for heat as you will for rent in an poorly insulated big house. The summers in Gunnison are beautiful, but short and cool. Highs mostly in the 70's and 80's, dropping to the low 40's most summer nights. It can freeze any day of the year there. Wintertime, well, that's an experience (I know--I lived there several years). My personally recorded unofficial low temperature while I lived there was -55 F. That is not a typo--MINUS 55! That winter (a particularly cold one), it went 32 days without getting above 0 F., two and one-half months without getting above freezing. There is no experience quite like inhaling too deeply and freezing your lungs. You won't forget it. The cold weather is hell on vehicles. Most vehicles won't start on the coldest days without a block heater. Dashboards and vinyl in seats crack. Fuel mileage can be atrocious.

I like the people in Gunnison (the regular townsfolk; not the summer wuss residents)--the year-rounders are great people. But it takes a special person to live there. That long, cold winter does that. The only good news about winter in Gunnison is that the wind doesn't blow much, and the sun shines most of the time. Just be forewarned, if you haven't lived in a REAL cold climate before, you are in for the shock of your life in Gunnison.

Old 07-25-2009, 01:49 PM

1 posts, read 2,698 times
Hey, I live in Crested Butte year round. [ mod cut ] The school system in CB is excellent, how old are your kids? Rentals are plentiful currently, but make sure you get something ironed out before October whwen the seasonal employees arrive in CB and Mt CB. Gunnison fills up for rentals in late August when Western State starts up again. [ mod cut ]

Last edited by Mike from back east; 07-25-2009 at 02:07 PM.. Reason: Realtor advertising not allowed in the forums.

Old 07-25-2009, 03:57 PM

7 posts, read 12,881 times
You will FREEZE. No kidding.

Old 07-28-2009, 05:37 PM

118 posts, read 354,135 times
Fuh-frickin'-reezing, no doubt. Being from Wisconsin, I'm used to way harsher cold than Denver gets. But when I watch the weather on the nightly news during winter, I always feel for the poor folks in Gunnison.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado