U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 12:53 PM

1 posts, read 1,935 times

Advertisements

Hi, We are currently living in Switzerland, moved here from San Diego, CA and are now looking to go back to the states. Colorado caught our fancy on a visit in 2007 and we are looking for some input into where is the most attractive places to move to. We have 4 kids ages 7, 7, 10, 12. Schools are very important and we like the HR area and Cheyenne Mtn areas for schools. We love snow, four seasons and clear weather. We love the walkability of Switzerland, everything within a 15min walk and hope to find something similar in CO. I am a CPA and work as a controller, I can adapt to almost any industry. For housing, we are looking for a 5 br, 3ba, cost up to $800k. We have subscribed to cohomefinder, and realtor.com for various updates and it looks like there are a ton of homes available up to our max.
We had thought of moving back to CA, but the gov't there has imploded in the years we've been gone and there currently is no attraction to go back. Colorado has a lot of similar "nature" to Switzerland and looks really good on the web, however, it looks more "brown" than I expected. We are also very much into scouting, 2 girl scouts, 1 cub scout and 1 boy scout. Any help in these forums would be appreciated.
Like I said, my internet searching has been somewhat limited to Highlands Ranch and Cheyenne Mtn. in Colorado Springs. Positives and negatives are welcome...we are going in with as open a mind as possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2009, 01:35 PM

2,437 posts, read 7,282,830 times
Highlands Ranch and Cheyenne Mtn. are two of the most conspicuously spendy areas along the front range.

Rather than just stating your rooming needs and budgetary ceiling, why don't you tell us what you're really looking for in a home, a neighborhood or from the region in general? That way we can actually help you find what you're looking for.

Old 05-27-2009, 02:37 PM

12,825 posts, read 20,126,238 times
There is no other place on par with Switzerland. They broke the mold.

Old 05-27-2009, 08:23 PM

291 posts, read 807,003 times
At that price range you could live almost anywhere. Since you mentioned Highlands Ranch, you may want to also check out Ken Caryl Ranch. I've got pictures of both in my photo albums. If it seems interesting to you, let me know and I can then give you more detailed info.

Old 05-27-2009, 09:43 PM

1,331 posts, read 4,526,932 times
I so totally would recommend Evergreen!! Google it at homefinder colorado evergreen. I do not work for or, am not a realtor. I have been looking in the area for a property for a long term investment for my sons.
So many opportunities in this most beautiful area!!
Check it out,....I think you would love it!!!!!

Old 05-28-2009, 01:05 AM

447 posts, read 1,421,057 times
I would also recommend Evergreen........It is a foothills suburb of Denver, great for kids of that age, more of a Winter feel, 20 min to Denver, low crime, cute downtown with lake

Old 05-28-2009, 10:03 PM

86,981 posts, read 102,540,351 times
Yes, Colorado is brown, most of the time. This spring is the greenest I have seen in the 29 years that I have lived here. Sjome springs it barely greens up before it turns brown again.

Walkability will be a problem in the some of the areas you are interested in. Highlands Ranch has trails and the like, but it fairly suburban. Evergreen is extremely auto-oriented, as it is in the foothills/mtns. I'm not familiar with Cheyenne Mtn.

Old 05-29-2009, 07:57 AM

2,970 posts, read 6,266,703 times
I'd look into Castle Rock or Larkspur too if I were you.

Old 05-29-2009, 08:17 AM

16,521 posts, read 20,964,213 times
There are some nice places in Larkspur, two of my sisters live 10 minutes apart from each other. There are some sizable places from Larkspur to Palmer Lake on state hwy. 105. it's 20 minutes north of Colorado Springs, and 105 is right near the Rampart mountain range.

I grew up in Colorado Springs as a kid growing up in the early 60's. Loved it, and still love the older parts of town. I don't know a lot about the Cheyenne Mountain area, I grew up and went to school in the north part of town. It wouldn't hurt to check out the area north of Colorado College, an older part of town. Old does NOT mean cheap in this case. There are some real nice old homes there. Hopefully some Colorado Springs residents will weigh in here.

Old 05-29-2009, 08:53 AM

8,317 posts, read 25,840,928 times
If you have become accustomed to walkable communities, and plentiful passenger train service and public transit, Colorado will be a massive disappointment. A fellow I do some work with immigrated from Switzerland years ago. He loves the Rocky Mountains, but absolutely loathes Colorado's sprawl and dependence on the automobile and the paucity of alternatives--even more than I do. When it comes to that feature, Switzerland has its act together better than anyplace in the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or