U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 02:27 AM

862 posts, read 2,311,935 times

Advertisements

Well, it is that season again. Time for the MAG to be sprayed. I have been washing that stuff off as fast as I can using high-pressure wash and paying more attention to the undercarriage than anything else as it gets the most "MAG spray".

How are other drivers fairing with this stuff? Anyone getting rust and/or electrical shorts because of it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2007, 02:32 PM

2,253 posts, read 5,842,932 times
Wink Something more civilized?

I've heard that one reason they decided to pave the remainder of the road to the top of Pike's Peak was because so much gravel was ending up in watersheds and otherwise mucking up the environment.

As for Magnesium Chloride, aside from it may do to vehicles, it appears to be very harmful to the environment. Specifically to many trees along roads which are possibly dying in consequence. I'm still looking into this, but have heard that this method something adopted fairly recently, only about five years ago. If that true, the effects we are beginning to notice truly troubling, and but the precursor of worse.

There is an incipient movement forming to have CDOT use something else, something more environmentally friendly.

Fact is, whatever they put on roads has to end up somewhere, and if one lives or drives along rivers with parallel roads the destination isn't hard to see.

My suggestion, that CDOT put nothing on the roads. Just plow them and be done with it. This would probably result in less than ideal traction at times, in comparison to other methods they might use. So? Maybe people might just have to take a few days off during bad storms, enjoy a school holiday of sorts. What, in this country, the land of 24/7, capitalism and commerce?

Yeah.

Old 10-29-2009, 07:05 PM

1 posts, read 1,502 times
if you don't clean your tires, then you pull in your driveway and that will surely make your driveway erode away. that would really suck though because you have to pay money to get your driveway fixed up. that is exactly how the government is. they decide to use magnesium chloride and yet they don't even pay for the roads to be fixed up. i tell you, sometimes the government doesn't use any of their brains. it is pretty sad if young adults know more than people who are familiar with this issue.

Old 10-30-2009, 12:24 AM

2,561 posts, read 4,873,492 times
[quote=LBear;2190075]Well, it is that season again. Time for the MAG to be sprayed. I have been washing that stuff off as fast as I can using high-pressure wash and paying more attention to the undercarriage than anything else as it gets the most "MAG spray".

How are other drivers fairing with this stuff? Anyone getting rust and/or electrical shorts because of it?[/quote

Scott5280.....
Hmmm. not a member? How could that be possible..I don't have rust on either of my vehicles here, what are the odds? The only belonging of mine with extreme rust is my sea cruiser parked among the elements (salt air) on the Balboa Peninsula. Put my prized Mt. bike I ride there inside my condo other wise it might just meet the same yellow, salted ,caked fate. My long board loves it..my aluminum buddies..not so much..
WE usually avoid the extreme mag chloride content here in Colorado(or at least on the front range anyway), but this fall has been admittedly a beotch. iPrepare for the elements regardless of location..what's acceptable wear and tear is up to the individual. Personally Mag Chloride is a necessary evil, with few consequences.

Last edited by Scott5280; 10-30-2009 at 12:43 AM..

Old 02-07-2011, 03:58 PM

1 posts, read 1,133 times
Whether or not mag is better, I know where I live they tend to apply it in liquid form to the roads anticapating a coming storm. Though I do appreciate the vigalance of the CDOT. In liquid form with out the presence of Ice or Snow. The mag is extremely slick. Alone it makes the roads like a skating rink and very dangerous.

Old 02-07-2011, 08:06 PM

2,253 posts, read 5,842,932 times
Wink Certainly something

I am in the position of replacing two heat shields from the underside of my car, which rusted out. More exactly the bolt attachment points, and I can say that with authority as one of them began to rattle and then, before I got to the dealership, a terrible racket just before falling off the car. I cannot say if magnesium chloride caused this, but something did, and it is about the only corrosive thing it is exposed to, other than water.

It may snow tonight, so conditions change, but quite illustrative today on entering or departing Rocky Mountain NP. The roads there are largely snow packed, and just beyond the border largely not. The difference is that RMNP uses only minimal amounts of mag chloride in sand, for environmental reasons, while CDOT is more liberal in their use of it. Although hard to tell at times, whether from MPB or some other cause, it is evident also the health of trees next roads whether in or out of the Park.

If paying attention, one will notice that the application of magnesium chloride and sand is not uniform on all roadways. Secondary roads often receive less treatment, with retention of snow longer, while more major highways get higher doses. One can notice the difference in vegetation directly adjacent. Other negative effects, such as rivers often impacted, are not as immediately obvious.

As soon as any snow threatens they will be out busy spreading this stuff. However effects on the road can be delayed. In this recent cold snap snow, on a secondary road I am familiar with, remained in place for several days, despite their best efforts. It was only when temperatures moderated and the sun returned that the snow began to disappear, and then softer more easily plowed and removed. Without the use of such chemicals what is largely a dry road now would surely be mostly snow packed.

As it remains in RMNP, unless at last melted by sun and what few vehicles visit this time of year.

Old 02-07-2011, 09:33 PM

3,869 posts, read 12,523,014 times
If the road is clear and slick they are over applying it.

I wouldn't be so fast to cite it as the killer of the trees as the parks service and the state also use MAG to control dust on dirt roads in the summer.

This Mag(applied in the summer) had no dilution from snow melt and the trees are dieing along those roads other that the ones being killed by the Pine Betel.

Salt or calcium chloride will also rust the cheep rock shields very quickly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado