U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 11:34 PM

862 posts, read 2,310,164 times

Advertisements

How bad is Magnesium Chloride??

They claim it is LESS corrosive than typical road salt. Do the cars rust out bad in Colorado? How about rubber and electrical parts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2007, 07:35 AM

10,676 posts, read 28,486,584 times
True, it also lowers the freezing temp. The one thing everyone does after a good snow, is wash the car.

In showing houses, I am noticing a lot of concrete peeling on the driveway...I have heard it is from the road chemicals.

Old 04-10-2007, 08:03 AM

431 posts, read 2,499,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pettrix View Post

They claim it is LESS corrosive than typical road salt. Do the cars rust out bad in Colorado? How about rubber and electrical parts?
Don't know about the magnesium chloride particularly but when we see a vehicle rusted out body, we figure it came from the coast somewhere. I still drive an 1980 Toyota that has very little rust. Never seen a garage, original paint. But it has not been driven constantly in bigger cities that probably use more stuff on their streets than here. Not aware of deterioration you speak of.

Old 04-10-2007, 08:33 AM

8,317 posts, read 25,091,437 times
Mag chloride is a salt, just like sodium chloride. I don't know whether it is as corrosive as regular sodium chloride road salt, but it is much more difficult to wash off. My long-time mechanic's advice was to wash it off of the vehicle as soon as practical, paying particular attention to the undercarriage of the car. Most people conentrate on washing what shows (the paint). It's popular among highway departments because it can be applied in liquid form and can be applied before a storm hits.

Old 04-10-2007, 09:19 AM

585 posts, read 1,949,582 times
Those automatic car washes don't get the undercarage very well so I always try to spray it off by hand the best I can.

Since not all salts are created equal, I could see MgCl being less corrosive than NaCl. However, I think they use a corrosion inhibitor with some MgCl products which might explain why it's less corrosive.

Old 04-10-2007, 04:20 PM

210 posts, read 1,242,624 times
As far as rust goes, though, Nadine said exactly what I was thinking-- if I see a car with rust, I figure it must be from a coast. Although salt and mag chloride can be corrosive, it is not down on roads often enough to cause problems, and the climate is very dry-- not conducive to rust.

Old 04-10-2007, 04:25 PM

1,587 posts, read 1,182,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pettrix View Post

They're wrong.

What makes salt corrosive is the chloride. It's a catalyst for starting rust.

The advantage is environmental. Sodium has a deleterious effect on soil, making it clod. Magnesium does't.

Old 04-11-2007, 09:15 AM

585 posts, read 1,949,582 times
Well some MgCl2 includes rust inhibitors that reduce corrosion. Apparently plain old NaCl has been found to be much more corrosive than MgCl2 that contains these inhibitors.

For those that wanna know more about deicers than they'll ever care about:

http://www.dot.state.co.us/Publicati...es/deicers.pdf

Old 04-23-2007, 11:22 PM

291 posts, read 1,883,715 times
Mag Chloride was supposed to be the savior of the roads, but with each cure comes a new problem. Colorado has mostly used sand for roads, with just a little salt added to keep the sand from freezing. But sand, after being ground into a fine powder by car tires, becomes a contributing factor to particulate air pollution.

They were hoping Mag Chloride would be the answer. But if you saw the trees dying along I-70 in the mountains you'd know there was a problem. Fortunately, it's not much worse than dealing with sand/salt, which I prefer on the garage floor than the Mag Chloride goop that accumulates now.

Old 04-26-2007, 01:04 AM

101 posts, read 413,652 times
mag clor on paint and bodys not too bad,
if you have aluminum wheels, they will get trashed
if you don't clean them..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado