U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 12:30 PM

2,092 posts, read 2,606,774 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I will be doing famous Montrose-Durango stretch in August. Which way I'll be driving on the inside facing cliff? I am not really afraid of heights but car will be full of crazy characters and don't want to listen comments while driving! Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2009, 01:14 PM

20,840 posts, read 39,052,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha_1976 View Post
Hi,

I will be doing famous Montrose-Durango stretch in August. Which way I'll be driving on the inside facing cliff? I am not really afraid of heights but car will be full of crazy characters and don't want to listen comments while driving! Thanks.
See this thread for info about driving along Hwy 550 and Red Mountain Pass, etc.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 06-06-2009, 01:41 PM

8,317 posts, read 25,780,481 times
The most abrupt drop-offs are on the west side of the highway (right side when going south out of Ouray) about 4 or 5 miles south of Ouray. On the south side of Red Mountain Pass, there is a stretch of pretty good drop-offs on the east side of the highway. South of Silverton, some more drop offs on the east side of the highway. So, the short answer is there are drop-off on either side, depending on the location. I have posted some pictures of the portion south of Ouray on this forum--do a search for them. That portion south of Ouray can be real hair-raising for passengers--they can roll down the window and spit over the cliff. There is no space to the right side of the line marking the right side of the driving lane there--and no guardrail.

This road is not for people with a fear of heights--as I posted earlier, I have seen people "freeze up" trying to drive it. Also, August is southwest monsoon season. It will typically rain just about every afternoon. If it rains a lot, there can be rockslides.

Old 06-06-2009, 01:52 PM

13,294 posts, read 25,463,471 times
I have only driven from Montrose to Durango. It feels like you're mostly on the inside there.
A most gorgeous drive, it is.

Old 06-06-2009, 05:05 PM

16,506 posts, read 20,904,171 times
Just a quick note to our moderator for a big on the referral on the other thread. There is plenty of info and pictures to clue you in, particularly with Jazzlover's commentary and pictures.

Nothing else to add here except one item. You said in your post that you have a few crazies riding with you. The minute you take your eyes off this road or start clowning around behind the wheel will be the last thing you and your friends ever do. Keep your undivided attention on the road. It has the most awesome scenery in Colorado, and is also the most dangerous.

Old 06-07-2009, 06:44 AM

2,092 posts, read 2,606,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
Just a quick note to our moderator for a big on the referral on the other thread. There is plenty of info and pictures to clue you in, particularly with Jazzlover's commentary and pictures.

Nothing else to add here except one item. You said in your post that you have a few crazies riding with you. The minute you take your eyes off this road or start clowning around behind the wheel will be the last thing you and your friends ever do. Keep your undivided attention on the road. It has the most awesome scenery in Colorado, and is also the most dangerous.

Yes that thread was useful. I also googled a bit to see any results and the answer was to go from Durango to Montrose. As jazzlover said drop-offs will be on both side but still this route will we "less-scary". Crazy characters are not THAT crazy but I really want to choose the best possible option for them. I'll start from Moab > 191 > 491 > 160 reach Durango and then take 550 N bound. Any suggestions?

Old 06-07-2009, 09:32 AM

Looks like the best route. I've been on it dozens of times. Was just through Moab a couple weeks ago as they were doing some roadwork, so there will be a slight delay, but not a lot. When funding permits (I assume) the highway dept. has been adding extra passing lanes in spots.

Old 06-07-2009, 09:52 AM

108 posts, read 344,268 times
The standard answer in Silverton used to be (and maybe still is):

"We had guard rails, but the tourists kept knocking them down."

Old 07-11-2010, 05:47 PM

28,192 posts, read 47,512,098 times
Post News, Talk about Lucky, Denver driver survives 500-foot drop from road.

SILVERTON, Colo. Authorities say a 33-year-old Denver man suspected of drinking and driving survived after he lost control of his car and it dropped almost 500 feet off the side of a road.

The Colorado State Patrol says Anthoney L. Buckner seemed to be in "amazingly good condition" after rescuers used ropes and a litter to pull him up from the crash site Thursday. Trooper Jonathan Silver says Buckner's 1990 Toyota hatchback was "pretty mangled."

Denver driver survives 500-foot drop from road - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100710/ap_on_fe_st/us_odd_steep_crash_survivor - broken link)

Old 07-11-2010, 07:46 PM

Amazing events.

Amazing that one can fall 500 feet and survive, even with a seat belt on.
Amazing why anybody would drive under the influence on the most dangerous road in the state, possibly the country.

Amazing what goes through peoples minds!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or