Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2009, 02:10 AM

1 posts, read 3,177 times

Advertisements

Are there any towns that i could live in year round with out a car. This meaning that there was a bus system of some sort. Ive been to Telluride and have noticed the buses in the summer. Are those viable options to get around town or more a tourist thing. I have a way to get work at Jackson hole, the temps seems a lot lower which would be bad in the winter. Any thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2009, 02:48 AM

2,253 posts, read 6,961,290 times
Wink Possible

My understanding that it does get cold in Jackson Hole, WY, significantly more so than other locations.

Not sure about Telluride, CO, but certain areas of Summit County, Colorado have excellent, free bus service. It does, by the way, get cold in Summit County as well. But if you structured it properly you could travel between ski area, home and grocery on foot or bus easily. Years ago I did exactly that, although actually using one of the resort's buses to get to work. This is probably still a viable option, but you may wish to check as many municipalities have considered cutting back service in these economic times.

Most people there surely have access to a vehicle, and no doubt it can make life easier and provide more options. But if you choose the right spot you may not overly miss it, otherwise walking, biking, or using the bus. Your larger concern likely that of most others, finding suitable lodging at anything like an affordable price.

You could probably swing this type of thing in a lot of resort areas, although some definitely more easily than others. If you are at all serious, wise to consider these logistics in advance.

Old 06-11-2009, 02:32 PM

46 posts, read 170,793 times
Crested Butte is definitely easy to get around in without a car. There is a free bus that runs like every 10 minutes or something. Avoid Crested Butte South, but anything in town or on the mountain would be fine. Also, a lot of people hitchhike. There is a bus to Gunnison everyday too so you can go grocery shopping.

Old 06-11-2009, 07:44 PM

11,550 posts, read 52,928,448 times
Vail and the downvalley area would be suitable for living without a car.

Old 06-12-2009, 12:14 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,723,122 times
Just so you're aware, every winter Jackson Hole is one of the coldest places in the country. It's "much" warmer in most parts of Colorado.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanaz View Post
Are there any towns that i could live in year round with out a car. This meaning that there was a bus system of some sort. Ive been to Telluride and have noticed the buses in the summer. Are those viable options to get around town or more a tourist thing. I have a way to get work at Jackson hole, the temps seems a lot lower which would be bad in the winter. Any thoughts.

Old 06-12-2009, 03:39 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,372,032 times
Truth is, for public transit access to a ski area, the best place in the Rocky Mountain West to live is--well--Salt Lake City. Municipal bus service to the major ski areas in Big and Little Cottonwood Canyons, plus a good bus and commuter rail system in the city itself.

Old 06-12-2009, 05:30 PM

11,550 posts, read 52,928,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
Truth is, for public transit access to a ski area, the best place in the Rocky Mountain West to live is--well--Salt Lake City. Municipal bus service to the major ski areas in Big and Little Cottonwood Canyons, plus a good bus and commuter rail system in the city itself.
The BIG downside to this approach is having to live in SLC. The pollution there is amazing. I've had summer days there where it's so obscured it's IFR flying into the mid-valley airstrips. OTOH, you can be up at the ski slopes in 30-40 minutes from downtown SLC.

Too bad they don't have bus service from Heber City to the slopes ...

Old 06-12-2009, 09:07 PM

46 posts, read 170,793 times
Crested Butte is just as cold as Jackson Hole, in case that matters. Any time spent in Gunnison, like shopping, will definitely be colder.

Old 06-14-2009, 09:04 PM

79 posts, read 286,906 times
The Galloping Goose bus in Telluride runs year-round. It runs around town and also down valley to areas where locals tend to live. The gondola that runs from the town of Telluride over to Mountain Village is also free public transportation.

To do errands/shopping in Montrose, one would need to catch a ride for the 65 mile trip. The local radio runs ride share ads for people looking to share rides.

Old 07-14-2009, 05:08 PM

52 posts, read 179,160 times
I have visited Dillon, Frisco, areas in summit Co. in Colorado and there is an excellent free shuttle bus that goes to all the area ski resorts plus groceries (to the Dillon Ridge Shopping Center - grocery store, liquor store, restaurants, movies). The free shuttle service goes to Frisco, Dillon, Silverthorne, Breckenridge, Keystone - and my mind just blanked where else it goes - but most of the places you might want to visit in the area. I'm thinking one could *almost* get along with no car there. Love the summit co. area, by the way!
TAJ
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado