Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2009, 04:58 AM

49 posts, read 175,056 times

Advertisements

Hi there. I have been lurking here for about a month and done various searches. I have a few questions. Lets get this right out of the way because it seems like people are crucified on this forum if they even think of relocating without adequate finances or a plan...I have those bases WELL covered...end of that discussion.

We are an active family of 4. We like camping, skiing, hiking and anything outdoors. We currently live in South Jersey. Our town is very tourist oriented and its a ghosttown in the winter (with nothing opened) and booming in summer with lots of traffic and rude summer residents from PA who think they run the place. I have never been a real fan of the beach and always partial to the mountains. We have a vacation place in the Poconos that we go to in the winter every chance we get and ski/snowboard all winter. We enjoy camping most of the summer on weekends.

I am seriously considering a move to the Boulder area in the next 2-2.5 years. All the schools in the area look pretty good (and much better than here). At that time my kids will be in high school and middle school. I am looking at Boulder, Longmont, Louisvill and Fort Collins. I was looking at Estes Park but ruled it out because it seems very touristy like my current location.

Looking to spend in the 500 to 800k range. I need space to park my 32' motorhome. I currently have a 20 minute drive to the grocery store and a 45 minute drive to the closest mall and I'm not a real shopper so close proximity to these things is not an issue. I also need a health club or gym within lets say 30 minutes.

I think to be fair to my kids they need to be able to ride their bikes to places (friends houses, into town or wherever kids hang out). Nice family neighborhoods are preferable.

Thank you very much for your suggestions. Constructive information only please, no bashing about how my family is one of the many that will ruin Colorado.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2009, 09:26 AM

291 posts, read 909,053 times
Most communites will have covenants against parking your motor home permanently at your home. As you get closer to the top of your price range, you will some areas where the homes are on larger lots where it will be permitted. They may require you to build a separate garage for it. There are also places where you can pay to park. If this isn't totally against every fiber of your being, it will give you much more in housing options.

Old 06-11-2009, 10:38 AM

26,143 posts, read 48,800,534 times
Jerz, thank you for having researched our website and using it to your advantage. We get too many people who say "I like Colorado - tell me everything!" Members like you make my day.

Your choices of towns in the Boulder area is on the mark, you'll be close to all the things you enjoy and will have ready access to them. Boulder has a certain richness all its own, and Denver is marvelous.

Estes Park is indeed a bit touristy, a good place to visit for events.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 06-11-2009, 11:05 AM

2,075 posts, read 5,108,116 times
Believe it or not, many of us will welcome you. You will love it here!
You may want to check out Erie. It's located between Boulder and Longmont. Our friends lived there and had a big 5th wheel that they parked under a "carport" especially built for it. (I apologize, but at the moment I cannot remember the name of the development they lived in. I'll think of it hopefully). The neighborhood is very kid friendly. For example, we visited them on Halloween a few years back -- almost all of the homes were decorated and the kids had a parade in costume.

Old 06-11-2009, 11:30 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,949,443 times
sickofjerz....I know you are new here, so WELCOME to city-data and WELCOME to the Colorado Page!

I'm a realtive newcomer to Colorado, having lived here for just short of three years. The ONLY place I've ever experienced any crucifixion, is here on the forum. I've encountered no animosity whatsoever in my day to day life with the people of Colorado, oldtimers and newcomers alike.

Keep in mind that everything you read here is just someone's opinion. Let the negativity roll off your back. Take the positivity with a grain of salt. Some people don't like the changes they see in Colorado and it makes them feel powerless and frustrated. Blaming someone else for the perceived problems provides a relatively harmless outlet for the frustration.

Good luck in your search for a new hometown! I think you'll like Colorado.

Old 06-11-2009, 12:09 PM

49 posts, read 175,056 times
Thank you for the fast replies. Upon Neditate's advice I will look into Erie. And thanks for the welcome CosmicWizard.

Old 06-11-2009, 12:10 PM

377 posts, read 1,051,579 times
I think the research you've done has pointed you in the right direction with those towns. You might also want to take a look at Niwot and Lafayette.

I guess we're not helping you narrow your search -- just giving you new places to look!

I always suggest coming out for a visit to get a real feel for the different towns because they each have their own distinct personalities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado