Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 12:07 PM

22 posts, read 45,334 times

Advertisements

Looks like a 4000 mile loop starting around Colorado City, to Rye, to Westcliife, up towards Salida, and Buena Vista, over to Grand Junction and a detour down towards Montrose. Then a jog over to Cedar City Utah for comparison purposes, then a return trip through northern New Mexico (we want to especially see the Santa Fe area).

Denver area needs to be a trip all by itself...

Once we see the general differences, it might help us pare down the list of potential retirement communities.

Any last-minute suggestions for this trip would be appreciated, and thanks to everyone who offered suggestions and opinions on previous posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2009, 12:18 PM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
I'd consider more than liking the town or geography and all. Access to medical care? Car dependence? I know those are things that people don't like to consider, especially in early retirement, but I wouldn't want to have to move again, especially if compromised by being widowed or ill or something.
That said, Montrose seems promising.

Old 06-13-2009, 12:58 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
I agree with brightdoglover. Ft. Collins usually ranks high on these "retirement" lists, probably b/c it has access to health care right in town, not too far from Denver if you get really sick, etc.

Old 06-14-2009, 03:53 AM

Thanks for taking the time to respond!

We have been looking at as much 'data' as we could find on each area, and we are aware our health will probably begin failing in the next 10 - 15 years as we get older. We've looked well at the locations of medical and logistical (food, etc *grin*) suppliers, as well as the general climate.

We still need to see the areas to make a decision. We like cooler weather and snow, and will be back to visit locations in the winter, also. Hopefully, we'll have considered all aspects (including financial etc.) prior to leaving Cincinnati for good, and we'll probably rent for a year before making any final decisions.

Of course, Murphy has his Laws.

But we still have about four years to research and make recon runs to different areas.

Back on topic, though, I've heard Salida has excellent medical facilities. Anyone agree or disagree? How about Colorado Springs? These two areas seem to have potential.

Old 06-14-2009, 09:16 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Recumbent Falcon View Post

Back on topic, though, I've heard Salida has excellent medical facilities. Anyone agree or disagree? How about Colorado Springs? These two areas seem to have potential.
Salida is a small mountain town. It has a 49 bed hospital.

Welcome to Heart of the Rockies Regional Medical Center.

Colorado Springs is a sort of regional medical center for southeastern Colorado.

Old 06-14-2009, 10:36 AM

26,212 posts, read 49,044,521 times
Quote:
... Back on topic, though, I've heard Salida has excellent medical facilities. Anyone agree or disagree? How about Colorado Springs? These two areas seem to have potential.
COLO SPGS has 4 major hospitals for the public (two of which are new within past two years) plus at least one for the military (on Fort Carson). The main city hospital is Memorial, with two locations, and the main one downtown also has a women's and children's wing. Lots of docs here. Another new hospital just opened up in Woodland Park (a mountain setting, cool town), about ten miles west of COLO SPGS. Woodland Park may be worth checking, as you can be in the mountains, yet near the city and lots of good eats, airport, etc.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 06-15-2009, 05:34 AM

Thank you both for the replies and information. I've looked at Woodland Parks but wasn't sure about the cost of living there. It's on the agenda to see however.

Old 06-16-2009, 07:32 AM

We're pulling out in two hours. If you see this Class B with an Ohio tag on the road, give us a honk! (It's not a common design...)

http://www.the-buckeye.org/GyrFalcon.jpg (broken link)

Old 06-16-2009, 08:22 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,780,716 times
Check out Granby too, it seems to me there's a lot of retirement type folks over there.

Quote:
Looks like a 4000 mile loop starting around Colorado City, to Rye, to Westcliife, up towards Salida, and Buena Vista, over to Grand Junction and a detour down towards Montrose. Then a jog over to Cedar City Utah for comparison purposes, then a return trip through northern New Mexico (we want to especially see the Santa Fe area).

Denver area needs to be a trip all by itself...

Once we see the general differences, it might help us pare down the list of potential retirement communities.

Any last-minute suggestions for this trip would be appreciated, and thanks to everyone who offered suggestions and opinions on previous posts.

Old 06-24-2009, 02:35 PM

1,742 posts, read 3,116,799 times
Mr Falcon, make sure the elevation agrees with you. I've seen many retired folks have to move to another state after a couple of years here. RP
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado