U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 11:43 AM

50 posts, read 91,901 times

Advertisements

Hi! My boyfriend and I are possibly looking to relocate to CO in about a year. I was wondering what people's thoughts were about the different parts of Colorado. So far, we have looked into Fort Collins, Colorado Springs, and Grand Junction. Are there any other good spots to look into?

First, a little background info. We are from Upstate New York (at the foothills of the Adirondacks- no where near NYC). I will be graduating law school next yr. Where (besides Denver) is a good place for a new, inexperienced lawyer to go? The boyfriend is currently in residential construction and can pretty much do anything on that front (inc. tile work). However, he is more interested in customizing/revitalizing cars, trucks, Jeeps, motorcycles, etc. Any areas particularly good for those types of jobs?

We want to move to Colorado because it will be warmer, less expensive to live in, and we want to be outside and away from the humidity and rain. We love Moab, UT and plan to visit there often when we move. The boyfriend loves his dirtbike, Jeep, and Harley, and I am a try-anything-once kind of girl.

I am looking for a place not totally isolated (I would like to have a Target/mall w/in 30mins-1hr away) and have a town/city with a cute downtown area nearby (if anyone has ever been to Saratoga Springs, NY, Saratoga Springs, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia , then you can understand why I would like a downtown area). Also, we need to be employed- me as a new lawyer, him as a construction guy/auto guy.

Any Suggestions???? THANK YOU SO MUCH!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2009, 02:33 PM

3,908 posts, read 5,313,027 times
Well, there's quite a dichotomy from one area in Co to the next.
For someone who's into customizing cars, your boyfriend would have plenty of company in Grand Junction. Around here, everyone is into that - big time. As for a "cute" downtown, well, Grand Junction's downtown is cool, albeit very small. As for shopping, that's where GJ lacks. Most people who live here travel to Denver at least once a month to go shopping. There's just not any good shopping here.

Old 06-15-2009, 03:08 PM

291 posts, read 588,549 times
I was going to suggest Grand Junction, also, especially for the closeness to Moab. GJ was booming last year when the price of oil was going through the roof, but now I hear it's cooled off somewhat. That would have been the best place for someone in residential construction. A couple of smaller towns to maybe consider would be Durango or Montrose. There's also Buena Vista. All of these are smaller than Grand Junction, but would fill your need for a small town atmosphere.

Your career chances would be better on the front range. If your boy friend is real handy and does good work, I would suggest offering his services as a handyman. He could work on the cars on weekends or evenings. One way to get started as a handyman would be to offer his services to Realtors. We're always looking for someone that we can recommend to clients to get their home fixed up or to do inspection repair request. Most franchise handyman services start around $65 per hour, and that can get expensive. I use a retired guy that does excellant work and he only charges $25 per hour. He doesn't do bids so that allows him to keep his cost down. He's honest and does top of the line work, so everybody continues to use him and he's as busy as he wants to be. I think you could charge more than he does, maybe $35 per hour and do pretty well. It may take awhile to get your reputation going but that's like all businesses.

Old 06-15-2009, 03:37 PM

10 posts, read 10,803 times
I am looking to relocate to CO as well... I was considering Vail or Aspen but love the Adirondacks and want something more along those lines. My friend lives out there and said Grand Junction is where she would pick.

Old 06-15-2009, 10:47 PM
Status: "Snow is coming for Christmas!" (set 7 minutes ago)

70,067 posts, read 60,674,394 times
Here is something about the Denver area legal job market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bouldergranola View Post
The local bar is small and quite collegial - we're all mostly graduates of CU or DU law school. It's great for us who go to school here and want to practice in Denver, but it makes it very, very hard for outsiders (non-Denverites) to find employment. Strong alumni ties play a huge part in law firm recruitment and hiring.

If your husband has a summer left, he should use it for working at a Denver law firm because the firms around here are not all that keen on hiring people who are enamored with a way of life they've never even experienced.

Old 06-16-2009, 09:23 AM

3,908 posts, read 5,313,027 times
Grand Junction is okay, but you got to be aware it's in the desert, so it's brown and not so green or interesting like the mountains.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixie30 View Post
I am looking to relocate to CO as well... I was considering Vail or Aspen but love the Adirondacks and want something more along those lines. My friend lives out there and said Grand Junction is where she would pick.

Old 06-16-2009, 10:17 AM

50 posts, read 91,901 times
This doesn't look too promising! I am not tied to working in a law firm- or even practicing traditional law. I thought I might apply to some public interest jobs or to some federal jobs out there. Any thoughts? I am very appreciative of the advice.

Old 06-16-2009, 05:08 PM

1,319 posts, read 2,347,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Here is something about the Denver area legal job market.
That's b.s. Look at the bigger firms in Denver, and you will find out that many people are hired from out of state. Don't buy into the "we hate outsiders" in Colorado posts you see here, as they are inevitably done by people on this site with nothing better to do. Go ahead and move to Colorado and find out for yourself.

Old 06-16-2009, 07:16 PM
Status: "Snow is coming for Christmas!" (set 7 minutes ago)

70,067 posts, read 60,674,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinegaroon View Post
That's b.s. Look at the bigger firms in Denver, and you will find out that many people are hired from out of state. Don't buy into the "we hate outsiders" in Colorado posts you see here, as they are inevitably done by people on this site with nothing better to do. Go ahead and move to Colorado and find out for yourself.
I am not part of the "we hate outsiders" crowd that posts on these fourms. However, I am a realist. The person who posted the information I quoted is an attorney practicing in this area. I think that last sentence in her post, in particular, is relevant: the firms around here are not all that keen on hiring people who are enamored with a way of life they've never even experienced. This is an issue with hiring anyone from out of state who has never lived here, especially those who have never lived in the west.

I think the OP should come out here for a visit, see if she and her bf even like it here.

Old 06-17-2009, 09:35 AM

1,319 posts, read 2,347,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I am not part of the "we hate outsiders" crowd that posts on these fourms. However, I am a realist. The person who posted the information I quoted is an attorney practicing in this area. I think that last sentence in her post, in particular, is relevant: the firms around here are not all that keen on hiring people who are enamored with a way of life they've never even experienced. This is an issue with hiring anyone from out of state who has never lived here, especially those who have never lived in the west.

I think the OP should come out here for a visit, see if she and her bf even like it here.
Sure, but have you looked at the Denver firms and where people graduated? They are from law schools all over the nation. Perhaps the attorney practicing does not want outsiders and more competition. I just don't see it as an issue either. I have lived in the east, west, coast, Alaska, etc. I have spent a lot of time in Colorado, and I don't see it being much different from other places, so I guess I just don't get it. The only thing really different are the mountains. In Denver, you will be working long hours in a law firm just as you would in Chicago, St. Louis, L.A. or Dallas. You will have little time as an attorney to worry about where you live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado