Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 10:19 AM

20 posts, read 187,157 times

Advertisements

Is mold and allergies allot better in Colorado? My wife has severe allergic reactions to mold and pollen here in Tennessee and it's only getting worse. I did some research and Colorado keeps coming up as a good place to live for people with severe allergies. I think it has something to do with the cold. We don't mind the cold. I'm also in professional media and wondering if anyone knows if there is allot of work in music, animation, or audio/video editing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2008, 10:25 AM

26,116 posts, read 48,720,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virtualcomposer View Post
Is mold and allergies allot better in Colorado? My wife has severe allergic reactions to mold and pollen here in Tennessee and it's only getting worse. I did some research and Colorado keeps coming up as a good place to live for people with severe allergies. I think it has something to do with the cold. We don't mind the cold. I'm also in professional media and wondering if anyone knows if there is allot of work in music, animation, or audio/video editing.
People here do have allergies, there is a thread on that, see the index, either in COL or in Denver forum. A lot of people lose their allergies when they come here to this dry climate.

Humidity is low here, mold and mildew are almost unknown unless a pipe full of 'dirty' water breaks in your home.

Old 10-24-2008, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
People here do have allergies, there is a thread on that, see the index, either in COL or in Denver forum. A lot of people lose their allergies when they come here to this dry climate.

Humidity is low here, mold and mildew are almost unknown unless a pipe full of 'dirty' water breaks in your home.
LOL! Understandable. It's a must with her allergies and it seems to be turning into chronic bronchitis so we have to act quite soon. We want to live far enough away from the city to where we can rent a 2-3 bedroom cabin for a good price but close enough to where we can find work. Any ideas?

Old 10-24-2008, 10:54 AM

8,317 posts, read 29,367,714 times
I have posted this before. First, DO NOT MOVE TO COLORADO UNLESS YOU HAVE A JOB IN HAND. Period. Second, as to allergies, your wife needs to get tested specifically for common Colorado allergens. That is probably best done by a Colorado allergist experienced with what allergens are present in the state. Colorado has many native plants that tend to engender strong allergic reactions in those who are prone to allergies. Also, do not assume that if you spend a few days here and your wife has no reactions that she won't later on. My allergist tells me that quite often it can take a period of days, weeks, or months before allergic reactions to "new" allergens manifest themselves.

It is true that some people who move here get allergy relief from the drier climate, but many do not. There are a lot of practicing allergists in Colorado--there's a reason.

PS--I am living proof that it is possible to be a Colorado native, live in the Rocky Mountain region for one's whole life, and STILL have severe allergies.

Old 10-24-2008, 10:58 AM

so what can be an answer then besides taking medication the rest of one's life?

Old 10-24-2008, 11:09 AM

8,317 posts, read 29,367,714 times
Quote:
so what can be an answer then besides taking medication the rest of one's life?
That is what I'm doing--the immunotherapy routine, which has helped me considerably.

Old 10-24-2008, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
That is what I'm doing--the immunotherapy routine, which has helped me considerably.
What is that?

Old 10-24-2008, 11:24 AM

8,591 posts, read 14,752,716 times
I'm with jazz on this one. My family moved to Colorado from Wisconsin when I was 10. Rewind about a year or so before our move. I had terrible ragweed and dust allergies. I was getting recurrent ear infections and other maladies the doctor blamed on my allergies, so my mom had me tested.

I found out I am allergic to dogs, cats, dust, pine trees, ragweed, and sagebrush. My mom decided that I needed desensitizing shots. Each allergen in the serum adds cost to the bottom line so my mom had to choose which allergies to attack. I remember this very foretelling line "Sagebrush? We don't need to put that in there, we'll never move to Colorado." Well we did and lo and behold every year when the sagebrush bloomed I was again in hay fever hell.

There are allergens in Colorado, believe me. Even though the state is dusty, dust mites aren't a huge problem because the air is so dry, but beware of sagebrush, ragweed, and juniper and cottonwood trees.

As for the argument that there's no mold in Colorado, that's also false. Grass molds are pretty high in the early spring after the snow melts off, especially in Western Colorado.

As far as treating your allergies goes you really only have 3 choices:

1) Live with your symptoms and treat as needed with nasal steroids and/or antihistamines

2) Desensitizing shots. These help alleviate the symptoms of hay fever but they can be costly if your insurance doesn't cover them and the shot regimen can easily last 3-5 years or longer.

3) Find an environment where none of your specific allergens are present. The planetary poles and a plastic bubble are good starts

Old 10-24-2008, 11:28 AM

8,591 posts, read 14,752,716 times
Quote:
What is that?
Allergy shots.

Old 10-24-2008, 03:36 PM

Well, I'm going to take my wife to an allergen doctor to find out what she is allergic to and types of molds and do my research to find out what state doesn't have what the doctor says she's allergic to. Then we can make a better decision as where to go. One thing is certain, shots and pills all have some side affects and are very costly which we cannot afford. So moving is the best option. Another thing to is that we are in the middle of the allergy and mold capital of the US so anywhere would be better. I love Tennessee but can't have her hacking everyday constantly. Thanks for the advice and we'll go to an allergen doctor soon to find out the facts. ( :
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
View detailed profiles of: